summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, January 3, 2014

ups and downs and cold cold cold cold

Let's start with the "downs". This is Benjamin saying goodbye to one of his sisters. I cried as he hugged them, and when it was my turn, I could hardly look at him for the tears brimming. He is all big and grown up, but it is so pleasant to just have him around, and he has no leave next summer, so we won't see him until he is out of the Army...next November or so. (unless I manage a little trip out to Washington somehow)

So saying goodbye to Ben was definitely a Down. An up: seeing him, seeing Ashley, meeting Anya. I mean, look at this little face! (How could a Gramma go a year without hugging her?)

It is cold here. Minus seven now, was colder when I woke up this morning. Mirielle drove from a city up north of here, the snow comes off the lake, making the roads treacherous. The temperature is supposed to rise to only about zero today, brr.

Yesterday, I went out and about with Mali, Margaret, Kathryn, Suzanne, and Sonja. We dropped Jon off to play at his friend's house, then went to the dreaded mall. The girls wanted to go to the big mall in the city, but the roads were awful, it was snowing, and so freezing out....we went to the suburban mall instead. Did I mention that I hate malls? The music and stale air and the smell of cinnamon buns that I never had because they are too expensive and too fattening....the misleading signs that everything is on SALE, yet only the ugly stuff is on the clearance racks, usually. A few of the stores the girls like to go into, the music just blares, making me want to scream. I don't mind music, but some of this stuff is just rot, and way too loud. And it is always too hot in the mall. And I am carrying stuff. Sonja actually asked me to carry her coat yesterday. Um, no.

Anyway. At the mall. I gave in and let Suzanne 12 and Sonja 11 get their ears pierced. I personally don't think it's a big deal, but some of our church friends and relatives aren't quite on the same page about it, and I hope the girls don't get too much more flack for it. They are just little girls who want to be pretty, no more, no less. I don't think it signifies their quick descent into sin:) They have been asking to do it, and yes, I could have continued to say No. I don't wear earrings anymore, but I did get my own ears pierced when I was eleven, and I was so very excited to FINALLY get it done. I felt pretty. I don't think that's too wrong, yet, I don't want them wearing makeup. But some don't think that's wrong. I guess it's what's in the heart that matters, and all we can do is encourage them and guide them and be good examples so they choose to follow God on their own.

So that was all big and exciting for them. Kathryn was asking to too, but when I gave them permission, she changed her mind. I think that's cool, that she decided on her own that it wasn't right for her. And, she didn't say anything at all to her sisters about their choice.

Anyway. No one ever said having eleven daughters was going to be easy.

I bought a few trinkets in the mall, some headbands for fifty cents and some bling for the little girls, Christmas bracelets and necklaces for fifty cents.... They LOVE dressing up like princesses....

After the mall, we went to the grocery store for grapefruit (our stuff from Florida was so good, thank you Grandma!), bananas, milk and yogurt and chicken, bagels and dishwash liquid and bleach and oats and coffee. Mali shopped with me while the other girls went next door to Target. I successfully stayed out of Target! It wasn't easy, but I am trying to spend less:)

Today it is cold. I got up and got dressed and talked to Mirielle as she came in from work. She works nights, so she comes in in the morning and has a snack before bed. The princesses built a fort in the living room and slept in it last night, with Jonathan on one couch and Sonja on the other. They had two fans going, and were still sound asleep as I made coffee and talked to Mirielle. So I said goodnight to her, took a cup of coffee and my computer, and here I am, back in bed with the electric blanket on. The kids are up now, and I have to get back up, but this is nice! Quiet and warm! I can hear someone on the ukulele, and lots of laughing and fooling around, so I hadn't better stay in here too long, although there isn't any fighting or crying going on.


Our kids have had this huge long vacation from school, last week AND this week. I decided I like it. Staying up late, sleeping in late, chilling, having tea parties. Evelyn was the number one babysitter yesterday for the little girls. Joseph and Samuel were here, but Ev made cookies with them, helped with their fort, played with them. It is so nice to just hang out and relax. Their teachers sent home packets to do over break, but so far, nah. Haven't gotten to them.

It is snowing out again. I can't send them out to play, it is way too cold. I have to go to the town office to get a new dump permit, blah. I have absolutely no desire to leave the house in this cold.

1 comment:

Tereza said...

must have been so hard to say goodbye!!! I wonder if Ashley can visit with baby on her own?

Thats cool about your daughters own decision. Looks like all she needed was permission to move past wanting to:) Silly kids!:)