summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

endometrial biopsy: the awful truth....

Okay, I did survive, and here I am, alive and well and living to tell about it. But tell about it, I will! And I'm sorry if this is considered a Woman's Issue, and is therefore Not To Be Spoken About. Because seriously, as I told my husband yesterday, "If you had this done, you would have fainted."

The doctor is a nice guy. He told me, "You've been through worse than this, having all of those babies." And that may be true. But. It doesn't lessen the fact that this was a brutally painful procedure. If you are reading this and are one of those lucky ladies who breezed through it, then good for you. But for me, the pain was literally breathtaking. I got light-headed and found it hard to breathe, and when the dr. stated that the next thing was going to be a little bit MORE painful, I almost passed out.

I don't mean to be dramatic. It's a quick procedure, which is it's only saving grace. The whole thing was uncomfortable, but also extremely painful in parts. And afterwards, dr. warned me about possible passing out, said it was a physical side effect of the dilation of the cervix, and not to fight it if it happened, just sit down quickly.

And here's something good: the doctor thought things looked good, although the official results will take a week from the pathology lab, he said he would be surprised if there was any cancer. That's extremely good news, although I will wait until next week to break out the bubbly.

Anyway...Paul brought me to the appointment, and we took the nice back roads scenic route home, then I asked him to stop and get me some spiked seltzer, and it hit the spot in the evening. Kathryn and the girls were watching The Great British Baking Show, then Master Chef Junior, which showcased the kids making chicken and waffles...so, of course we had to make chicken and waffles. I just happened to have fresh chicken breast tenders, so I floured, egged, and bread crumbed them, fried them up then baked them a little, while they made a batch of waffles. I skipped the waffles, but the chicken was pretty good, and the kids appreciated it.

I went to bed early...and cried my eyes out. I don't know if the whole biopsy ordeal messed with hormones, or if I was just having a post-procedure shock, but I could not stop crying. At one point I thought about baby Robert, my little guy who was stillborn, several years back, because this pain was like that pain, how the cervix was dilated so quickly, and I remembered how little he was, and how his "birth" was so sad when it should have been such a celebration...so I just cried until I couldn't cry anymore.

This fine morning, I am of much better disposition, I am not crying anymore, but I still feel achy and crampy, and like I want cookies and chocolate and coffee and a good book in my jammies, but wait: I always feel like that, ha.

Anne is coming soon, and today we are going to the library. Joseph is driving Kathryn to the airport...Kap is 20 years old, but I still worry, she is flying by herself to Norway, via the Atlanta, the biggest airport in the world. She is apprehensive, has traveled alone before, but still.

It's going to be even more quiet here...only Joseph, the little girls, and me, and Paul...wow. But I'm sure once Margaret rests up, she'll be here visiting with that sweet little Wulf.:)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you yesterday. Endometrial biopsies are no fun. I hope that the path report comes back clear.

I started tearing up when you mentioned your son Robert -- 20 years ago today, my little son was stillborn. I get it.

An American Housewife said...

Yesterday I lost all my bookmarks, logins, passwords, etc. (Long story but they were gone gone gone and no restore or cut & paste from old firefox profiles was bringing them back) but luckily your site is one I was able to get back to. Yay! Because I am just in time to hear 'good' news re; your appointment. :) As for the good cry last night - it was probably a compilation of 15 different things all commencing in one 'good cry' to get it out.

Michelle said...

I thought about you yesterday Della, wondering how the biopsy was going...I'm sorry it was painful. I didn't want to share much about that part in my comments to you before, because I know some women have a painless experience. But mine was painful and a very strange feeling like I was going to faint. It's not a fun experience, that's for sure. I'll be praying you get some good news and hope you are feeling better soon.

Kathyb1960 said...

Yes it is painful! I had one abt 10 yrs ago, and I thought i cd go back to work when it was over! Uhhhh noooo I didn't! My mgr was mad i didn't come back to work but i think she thought it was just a "simple procedure"! HA! I had some spotting as well! Sorry if thats TMI! I am glad ur Dr thought it all looked good! Praying for u & ur family!

Marilyn said...

Oh Della...I’m so sorry that procedure was so awful 😢 You were brave though.............hopefully the doctor is correct with his prediction. Hopefully Margaret soon feels well enough to bring that darling baby over for a snuggle with Grandma. Take care.

Marilyn from Canada

Natalie said...

I am so sorry you had to deal with that pain. I had an endometrial biopsy about three or four years ago. My OB insisted on using IV anesthesia so I was unconscious for the procedure. They won't do them in that office without IV anesthesia. I questioned if that was really necessary (the whole hassle of not eating before and having to bring someone to drive me how) because I have a high tolerance for pain and they said it was for my benefit because it would be barbaric to let me feel it. Now I'm glad they insisted! I didn't feel a thing and I was in no pain when it was all done.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry that your experience was so awful!! When I had mine done it was just a "Hey, while you're here, I'm going to do a quick snip of a tiny piece of tissue just so we can rule out anything more serious"...no time to think about it, no time to read up on it and talk myself out of it. It was quick, painful, and yes, thankfully, clear. Maybe it was easier for me because I hadn't had time to think, or my dr was a woman (I really think that matters). I'm glad (in hindsight) that I didn't have time to dwell on it beforehand. Every time I endure something painful/uncomfortable (including migraines) I ask myself what I would do if I had cancer or a brain tumor (that caused non-stop migraines for weeks or months) and was in pain ALL.THE.TIME. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I would probably be addicted to painkillers at some point because I am such a wimp. My husband will have a headache all day and I will be after him to take Advil so he can at least sleep, and he rarely does, but me? I am always so afraid that the headache will turn into a nausea inducing, sledgehammer to the eyes migraine that I HAVE to get rid of it immediately....so pass me the bottle!

No one can understand all of the stress (whether acknowledged or not) we carry around as moms. We try to keep everyone else okay and regulated but it eventually catches up to us. Sometimes a cry can be so cathartic..

Anonymous said...

Sounds awful :(. But so glad to hear these good news.

Simone

Donna bogie said...

So glad you got that over with and and will be receiving good results.
Donna, NY

tiphaine said...

congratulations on your newest grand son!
I hope and pray the results to your biopsy are good, the doctor sounded reassuring though :)