summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, March 9, 2018

happy anniversary to me...and paul...


34 years ago today, it was actually a Friday back then too, Paul and I got married...in his mom's living room, by a justice of peace. If I could do it all over again, I would probably have a nicer wedding, but I would still marry the same guy. He's a keeper. We were so young, so naive, so hopeful. Emily came along ten months afterwards, and of course it was all uphill from there, ha, with 21 pregnancies in all, one stillborn baby, and the sixteen kids. It's been a crazy life, but oh so blessed.

Of course when you get married, you're attracted to each other. You love each other. That's usually the case. But why do so many marriages break up? What happens? Does it just naturally wear off? I can only speak from experience, but here's my take on it: day in, day out, thoughts come, I am tempted to maybe judge him, criticize him, be offended...maybe my feelings got hurt, so inside, I rack up the wrongs I have perceived, and harden my heart just a little bit. I get a little indifferent, or maybe I am going into full fledged Poor Me syndrome. Maybe some of this happens while I'm not looking, and I get grace to see it, and battle it full on! To keep the heart pure is a worthwhile fight! And when I fight my OWN sin, when I forgive and when I let things go, and when I decide to be kind and merciful instead of harboring a grudge, how can things NOT go well? I truly believe that Satan has had a field day with marriage in our day and age, whispering accusations and causing strife and division.

Just to be totally honest, life ain't always sunshine and roses, and married life is no different. There are times and seasons, and trials, but I cannot stress this enough: God can do amazing things when we put our trust in Him. Humility brings grace from God.

But anyway. We haven't seen each other much in the last month, he's been in Boston for work three out of the last four weeks. He gets home tonight, then tomorrow morning he has to be at the Dome bright and early for a fundraiser, and I have plans tomorrow. I let myself daydream of a trip to Jamaica, again, ha, because oh dear, leaving all obligations behind and just being together...but it's not happening. Maybe we can get away for a night or weekend one of these days.

This has been a grand morning so far. I got up and puttered around, made sure the school girls had their lunches, and after they got on the bus, I straightened things up, changed the couch covers, swept the floors, made coffee, let the dogs in and out twice, fed the kitties...then Joe, Kathryn, and Jonathan got back from the gym and oops, backed right into the ditch at the end of the driveway. They had to pull the car out with the truck. We are getting lots of snow...winter is getting old, ha.

I have to drive to the airport to pick Paul up this afternoon or evening, whenever he gets in from Boston, he is driving and will return the rental to the airport...hope it's not too snowy.



7 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary!

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Yeah, the snow and gray skies are getting pretty old here in MI as well. I'm not a fan of the mud of spring, but the sunny skies and bird song sure makes up for it!!

An American Housewife said...

Oh happy day!!! Bless you both on your wedding Anniversary.
I only 'found' your blog last Fall so I'm not sure of your 'how we met story' - have you posted it in the past? I'd love to hear. :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Thank you, Michelle, and Lisa! And...our How We Met Story...hmm. Maybe I'll tell it again...in a huge long blog post ha. :)

Kanadiangirl said...

I would love to hear your story, too!

An American Housewife said...

"....Thank you, Michelle, and Lisa! And...our How We Met Story...hmm. Maybe I'll tell it again...in a huge long blog post ha."


If you have it posted, just point me in the right direction. No need to type it out again~ :

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary! You make a great couple :-)