summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

gadding about...

 ...Yesterday, Miss Cam and I went out and about.  Target, where I had an order pick up, a $15 Target gift card if you spent $50 on certain home items.  The big package of store brand trash bags is $14.99, so two of those, which we buy anyway, may as well add in another twenty worth, and get the gift card.  I got lavender hand soap refill, and some Method Lime and Sea Salt cleaner (total splurge!!!), a few boxes of sandwich bags, napkins, and some floor cleaner. 

Of course we didn't just pick up the cleaning supplies, no, we had to walk around and see what we could see.  I bought some shoes for some grandkids, and an inflatable unicorn snow tube, knowing from experience that these are thick and strong, and last for years, in the pool, it was clearance from $20 to $6.  We got some seltzer, and some Easter chocolate (the Reese's were buy one get one 25% off, which isn't a great bargain, but...)

We went into Old Navy, Cam found jeans for $5, and picked out a few tank tops.  I found a winter coat for $2.97. 

Aldi, for the usuals...bananas, berries, coffee beans, cream, eggs, lime juice, a box of cereal, bread, tomatoes, onions...


We did NOT buy the Aldi coloring book, but Camille thought it was hysterically funny, all of your Aldi favorites to color. 

Home...ah,home.  Time to put everything away, then sit and put my feet up, but only for a small while, because Charlotte Claire needed a trip to the town clerk to get a certificate of residency notarized, for a college class.  What I didn't realize was:  she also has to have it signed by the COUNTY clerk, which is in the small city, 20 minutes away.  We googled their hours, open until five in the winter, so off we went, arriving at 4:45.  The clerks' office WAS open, but the financial officer leaves at...four.  At least we had a nice drive together, never mind the wasted gas.  I wanted to beat the snow...because we got quite a bit last evening, through this morning.  

School was delayed by two hours, Char was thankful for some extra sleep.  I fell back to sleep too, until 7:30, was nice.  Paul got up and ran the snowblower, cleared out the driveway because Sonja had to go in to class.  

It's snowing out now, big fluffy beautiful flakes.  We have to make yet another trip to the city this afternoon to get that paperwork taken care of.

Also this fine afternoon:  two grandchildren are coming over, with their pillows and blankets and pajamas!  Wulf and Tennyson are coming!  Margaret and Adrian are taking a quick trip down to Washington, D.C., 7 hours south of here, to get Margaret's passport renewed.  It expired without her realizing, and she's taking Miss Char on a trip to Norway next week for a sisters' conference!  All the plane tickets bought, and a cabin reserved, conference fees paid...she's tried to get an appointment in Buffalo, or Connecticut, Vermont, NYC, with no luck.  This is the first opening, tomorrow morning in D.C.  

Life is interesting, and I'm glad I can help with the boys, also excited to have them come over.  

I have a date with Grace to go to the pool tomorrow afternoon with Grant and Ruth, not sure how that'll work with Wulf and Tenny too...might be fun, might be a disaster, ha.  

Last night for dinner, I made taco meat, and cut up chicken breast, sprinkled with lime juice, and browned in olive oil with salt and pepper, for fajitas.   

It's staying light out for longer, I love/hate it.  Yes, partly hate, because I am a burrower, a hibernator, I like to be snowed in.  The darkness is cozy, comfortable. I also like driving on clear roads without the threat of a sudden white out, and wandering about the yard in bare feet.  So nice weather if joy, but I love wintertime too.

Ah well.  The news is interesting these days.  Prenatal deaths are at a record high in Singapore, a leading epidemiologist from Hong Kong, along with others, have determined that China released Covid on purpose, from a lab in Wuhan.  Murdaugh seems guilty:  even if someone else magically appeared down near those kennels and killed his wife and son, he testified that his dogs didn't bark.  The time frame for that to have happened, not very likely, and given that he's lied about so many things, well. Studies are showing that masks helped:  not at all.  A new Sorli paper confirmed that the morality the vaccinated coronavirus-infected groups was 14.5% higher on average than the morality of the non-vaccinated corona-virus infected groups.  (after all that coercion!)  Biden is bumbling along, Kamala is still excited about YELLOW SCHOOL BUSES!, and in general, most politicians are still corrupt.  

In the midst of it all, there are still God fearing people living their lives, not letting it all bring them into anxiety, fighting their battles and resisting sin.  


6 comments:

Mari said...

Can you believe I went to Target today and bought nothing? That never happens. They didn't have what I went for and I wandered around a bit and didn't see anything I really needed. It will never happen again. :)
I loved the last 2 paragraphs of this post. The new is so depressing, there is so much evil, and so little common sense. But your last paragraph is awesome!

Anonymous said...

The Aldi cookbook! What a hoot! I'll have to look and see if our store has it, this weekend. My son who's getting married is thinking of the Finger Lakes for their honeymoon. What can you tell us/me?😁
Enjoy the snow. I don't think we will get any more here, but I could be wrong...
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, I actually can't believe it. Something always jumps into my cart in Target. We were talking about the companies with the most woke policies, like Walmart, Amazon, Starbucks, Target...but I can't see myself boycotting Target. :)
Valerie, it's not a cookbook, it's a COLORING book! I probably have the only kids on the planet who would actually like coloring those Aldi brand products. So honeymoon in the Fingerlakes region...hmmm....not sure when they're getting married, but if in summer, rent a boat on Cayuga Lake, stay out all day, jump off and swim...if on a budget, maybe bring a tent and camp at Cayuga Lake state park, or Watkins Glen. Watkins Glen is BEAUTIFUL, a must see, down near Seneca Lake....Seneca Lake is amazing, over 600 feet deep, (it's fed by underground springs at a rate of 328,000 gallons per minute!), Seneca Lake has over 50 wineries. Taughannock Falls is also beautiful, along Cayuga Lake.

Marilyn said...

Hello Della !

Sounds like a fun time all your shopping. Target in the US is great, but it didn’t fly here in Canada. It was different and because of this people didn’t go. Such a shame as I love going there in the US. You always seem to find such good bargains. The colouring book is hilarious πŸ˜‚ I have a couple of adult colouring books and every now and then drag one out.

You will be busy with the little boys!! No sitting in your comfy chair today!! Have fun at the pool!! πŸ₯°

Seems the news is always dreadful, isn’t it? The weather across your country is so extreme these days too. Every morning we watch it on GMA. Feet of snow in California. Oh my goodness 😳

Anyway have a fun day!

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestions 😊
V

Anonymous said...

Love Target… it’s hard to get out of there without spending more than planned.

I love the coziness of winter. Getting dark early and spending the night reading, relaxing with my family but I also love summer. Soon we can go down to beach and walk in the evenings. So looking forward to that.

The country is a mess…suddenly the conspiracy theories are becoming truth. Who would have thought.
But I just surrender it all to the one who holds the world in His hand and try not to listen to the news.

Enjoy those grandchildren, haven’t seen mine since we have been in Ky. My next to youngest graduated fromYWAM on Saturday and we were able to be there. She is now home a few weeks before going back for leadership training. Very excited to see her wanting to serve Christ.

Judy