summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, February 3, 2023

oh ho, do not go!

 If you go out and about today in Central New York State, beware....it's cold, and it's slippery. It's snowing like crazy, and the wind is blowing that snow, creating whiteouts.  I had to drive to the small city this fine morning to drop off my car, you know the one, it needs a thousand dollars in repairs.  (off topic, but they've already called and found a cracked rear rotor, so add another $300 on to that bill...).  

The drive was an adventure.  My car is all-wheel drive, and felt like it was fish-tailing all over.  By the time I arrived, my hands were shaking.  I had an apology to deliver, as there was a mix up when I called there this morning to confirm the parts arrived...see, my name was "Evelyn" on their report, because Evelyn brings her car to a different Mavis location...so when I called and identified myself as Della, it threw them off.  I talked to a different guy than the other day, and he was pretty sure they couldn't get to me today.  I think I got little testy, as I explained how I was in there the other day....anyway, things got straightened around, and I told the guy I was sorry I was so short on the phone...he said it didn't even register, it was fine...okay.

Anyway.  The car is getting fixed, and I'm dreading picking it up.  It's white-out snowing, and like one degree, with whipping wind.  I'm thinking to pick it up tomorrow morning...

There is chili on the menu for dinner, and cornbread.  I am making a batch of cookies, because it's a SNOW DAY, YAY!  Sonja doesn't have class, and schools canceled for Miss Char.  They're all on the couch doing schoolwork right now...it's mighty pleasant in here.

Last night's dinner was yummy, not healthy, but mmmm.   I had an almost five pound package of chicken breast tenders, I cut them up a bit more, marinated in salt, pepper, lime juice. Batter of 1 cup corn starch, 1 cup flour, and a bit of baking powder...., salt and pepper, then 1 1/2 cups cold water whisked in.  Dump all the chicken in, then fry it up in a two frying pans with olive and canola oil.  

I served with a stir fry of long green beans, red/yellow/green peppers, and onions.  There was white rice, and for me, cauliflower rice. We have different sauces, I had a sugar-free teryaki that was pretty good.

There's a lot leftover, I'm sure these three will be stampeding into the kitchen before long for lunch to finish it.


Out the kitchen window...it's like fog, the snow blowing....

Well, I survived another drive into the city to pick up the car...over two thousand dollars later, my car is all good to go...the guy who fixed Paul's truck had it finished up this afternoon, so we drove down to get that, less than $300, seemed like a bargain.  

Home....ah, home.  There's a pot of chili on the stove, and corn bread in the oven.  Cookies are done, here's the stupid thing I did:  One pan wasn't quite done, still soft and jiggly on top, so I turned off the oven, and left them in there, of COURSE I'll remember them!  well.  ahem.  I happily made the cornbread, turned the oven on to preheat, then opened it to put that cornbread in, and oops.  Those poor cookies!  

I somehow don't eat the cookies I bake anymore, I WANT to, but I don't...but I broke off a burnt piece, and it was actually really good!   I could just eat them all, so they wouldn't go to waste, but if I were to consume that many cookies, I'd rather eat fresh ones, so goodbye cookies.
Before the chips go income sprinkle cookies for Camille:)
I ran out of semi-sweet chocolate chips, so used a mixture of peanut butter chips and milk chocolate chips.  The house smells like a bakery!


This is what it looks like out there on the roads...not for the faint-hearted....when the white-outs occur, you cannot see anything at all!  I stole this from Sam, and this from Evelyn:


One 73 cent box of Jiffy corn bread mix, one egg, one third cup milk, and voila.  

Keep warm everyone, and drive safely....



8 comments:

Joybells said...

Holy moley! In Oregon we would not even think of venturing out in that kind of weather. And yet you carry bravely on. You have grit!! In spite of the shaking hands. (Mine would be shaking too!) I'm happy you have your wheels back but oy, that's a steep price tag. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong for a good long while! The cornbread and cookies look delish and cozy as all get out. Stay warm and safe, Della!

Joy from Salem

Anonymous said...

Oh Della that looks dreadful!! Oh my goodness 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶 It’s so horrible to drive in that😬 I’m glad you are all safe and sound back at home now. I see on the news tomorrow is going to be ghastly as well. Best just to hunker down I guess.

Those cookies look good even the burnt ones. I’ve gone that too…………I’ll remember……famous last words 🙄 Seeing those makes me want to make some…….maybe tomorrow.

We are off for fish and chips for supper……yum yum 🤤 Enjoy your dinner. Sounds like a good cold night supper! Enjoy 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Kanadiangirl said...

Kanadiangirl

Kanadiangirl said...

If you put ice cream between two over done cookies and let them soften, that would probably taste really good! Try it and let us know!

Cars are truly necessary 'evils', aren't they?!

Carol said...

OH MY! That seems like a lot for a car repair. I recently had a cracked rotor and it was like $80 for the part. My hubby fixed it. I would not want to drive in that. I hate slick roads and I don't like to drive when it is snowing that hard.

Terri D said...

I just love chili and cornbread! Jiffy Corn Mixes are the best. I put sour cream in them sometimes... yum! THe cookies look so good! Be safe and warm up there!! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Carol, agree...I had to buy two new tires for $150 each, plus balancing and NY state tire disposal...then an alignment, then two new bearings, and labor for those, then the rotor issue was revealed, the car was there during storm, and they couldn't proceed with the bearings without fixing the broken rotor...and of course you have to do the other side too....my husband and or sons would usually do the brakes, that's why it's hard that we had to pay so much. Ah well.
Oh, ice cream and cookies, no! Sounds too good....I took a few bites of those overdone cookies, then had to throwthem away...
Marilyn, Fish and chips, sounds so good! (not making dinner sounds good too!)

Anonymous said...

When I once cooked for people who ate carbs, I would taste everything. I spit out so many tidbits! Then I tried just a bite or taste. I think our blood glucose can go up or down just by looking at food.
Stay safe driving!
Anne H