summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, December 14, 2013

cancelled? are you just kidding?

So Paul is in Paris, France. He is supposed to get on a plane in the morning, in just a few hours actually, and fly to New Jersey. Then after a few hour layover, take a plane home. I am supposed to be there waiting at the airport to greet him. Well. He texted me that his flight has been cancelled because of this stormy weather on the east coast. I thought he was kidding me. Nope, not kidding. He was told he can get on a whole string of other flights that would put him home by Monday. Yeah, travelling for two whole days. He is going to try to see if he can get the airline to book him on another carrier. dang. I just want him home.

It is cold here. Maybe 10 degrees right now, perhaps less. Tomorrow's high: 17, with lots of snow. I know, I know, it is winter, it is cold and snowy in winter. It DOES make it rather Christmas-y.

My two oldest daughters, Emily and Abigail, came here at 9:30 this morning to pick me up. I decided to wake Jonathan and bring him along with us too, because I had this awful dream last night, and he was in it.... I dreamed that it was WW II Germany, and that Paul and I were trying to hide. We didn't know where to go, so we decided to hide in plain sight and attend a dinner for the Nazi party. We sat at a table and were trying to be nonchalant and blend in, and immediately the S.S. came marching in and snapped at Jonathan, who was sitting blissfully at the table, swinging his feet, which barely touched the floor. He was commanded to stand up, but he thought they were kidding, so he just smiled and kept swinging his feet. I woke up terrified. What a nightmare. So I wanted Jon with me today, to hug and enjoy and boy, I told him so many times today what a good boy he is and how much I love him.

We went to a few places in the small city, and to the grocery store to buy the food for the Christmas feast at church on Sunday. We then went to Moe's Mexican place for lunch, since it was Abigail's birthday. Right when I was telling the lady behind the counter what I wanted in my taco bowl, my phone rang. I hate to be rude, but I have lots of kids driving and and and, I always at least give it a glance, just in case something really serious happened. It was Paul calling. So I asked Em to continue to choose items on my behalf, and answered my phone. Paul said he would call me back in five minutes. I apologized to the lady, said that I HAD to answer, it was my husband calling me from Paris. She was like Uh-Huh. sure.

Anyway. We had a nice lunch, Jonathan and I marveled at the automatic soda dispenser, and enjoyed the homemade salsa and chips. I saved most of my lunch to bring home to Sam, I love his reaction when we bring him something special.

I bought Christmas gifts for our friends at church, and something for Paul, and a little something for Samuel. (what do you get for a kid who is leaving for the Army in two months?) (btw, I was doing laundry today when I suddenly realized that Sam is LEAVING. I knew it before, but somehow I REALIZED it. LEAVING. Oh, my breaking heart. Sam is SUCH a good boy, so funny and kind and thoughtful. Sarcastic and witty, and just so optimistic about things. I am going to miss him so very much, not to mention how hard it is for me that he is joining the Army.

He will be fine. He chooses to live his life to please God,he trusts in him, so he will not be put to shame.

My sister-in-law came for a visit this evening. Joseph and Sam went out and about with some boys from church, the older girls went to their Girls' Christmas party, Sonja went to Grace's house...so it was just Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. Kim came over with her grandson Gabe, who is eleven months old, and her two youngest kids, Danielle who is 8, and Sean who is six. The little girls played dolls and dress-up and scream down the hall and bug Sean and Jon who were playing nicely. Gabe was an angel, he just clapped and scooted around the floor and laughed out loud and ate crackers and slapped his hands happily on my coffee table.

Anyway, we had chicken wings, the kids had corndogs and frosted Christmas cookies. It was really enjoyable to have some company. The small kids headed straight to bed when their friends went home, then the bigger kids started trooping in the door....it was really loud again in here for a while, but now it is quiet again. I am heading to bed soon, it has been a long day.

My shopping is mostly done, my gifts are mostly wrapped, I am ready for Christmas. All I need now is my husband....:)

3 comments:

T.L. said...

Is your husband still stuck in Paris? he is welcome to come and stay with us, I can drive him to the airport whenever the planes are back on schedule. We're about an hour from the airport.

Tereza said...

Really enjoy reading about your daily life!

16 blessings'mom said...

Tiphaine, thank you! He is actually being routed to Chicago, and will be home near midnight tonight. I am hoping to go to France with him sometime in the next year though, perhaps I can come help you with your little ones and visit:)