summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

some politics perhaps?

Nothing divides the people in the greatest country on earth quicker than politics. These days, just wear a Trump hat in public and find out for yourself. No, I do not have a Trump hat.

One nation under God..

...with fifty states, which have individual laws and rights. The freedom of speech is a luxury that has consequences. If you say something mean to your friend, yes, you have that right, but it doesn't mean it was wise to say it.

I do not consider myself either a Democrat or a Republican. Far left, far right, conservative, liberal, whatever. I hate the fighting and the name calling, the babyish NOT MY PRESIDENT whining. Women marching for Reproductive Rights,(no offense, but "rights" are one thing...scraping out a helpless little baby is another) I can't stomach it. Quit complaining, and be thankful that you live in such a wonderful land of opportunity. You are not oppressed.

Women want respect. I get that. You can make laws that require people to hire women, to pay them equally, treat them equally. But respect is something that begins in the home! Parents respect each other, teach by example, they respect their children, and teach them to respect each other.

I think boys should never hit girls. Never. They're usually bigger and stronger, and what good could come of a man hitting a woman? Just. don't. do. it.

I think it's nice and thoughtful of men to hold doors open for women. But also for women to hold doors open for men.

I think women get more respect when they are modest.

I don't like that just because I happen to think abortion is horrible, that I am lumped in with Hating Women, Being Against Women.

I don't like the division of this country. There aren't two distinct groups who hate each other. We are a melting pot of peoples, with different convictions, different morals, different ways of living, all here to pursue life and happiness.

I do not hate gays, I do not care whether they choose to marry each other, or adopt children, or run for president. In fact, some of my very favorite people are gay.

I am not against immigration, I am rather against giving so many free benefits to anyone who comes here to make their way. I think that reliance on the government for sustenance should be only if one is sick or injured, and try separating those people from those who cheat and really could work! There is so much corruption in people, so laws and rules aren't going to help.

To me, there is not a clear line that separates Americans into two groups, yet when we vocalize one belief, immediately we are categorized as haters. I do not hate anyone. But I do hate seeing hate, and violence.

This division that politics has wrought has hit close to home. One of my girls commented something about girls dressing respectably getting more respect, something of that nature...she was hit with the accusation of, and I quote, "slut shaming." Slut shaming. I'm sorry, I cannot take that seriously. But in the high school world, this is real stuff. One of my girls was tiring of hearing her friends spout about abortion rights, ect., and made a stand about it because she believed she should speak up...and she finds herself instantly: with no friends. She texted me yesterday asking for prayers, because her friends wouldn't even look at her in school. I hurt for her. Do they not like her anymore just because she has different beliefs? Poor poor girl. She's sweet and kind and thoughtful and never pushed her opinions on anyone, but it got to the point where she just answered what SHE thought about things, and now...silence. They cannot be friends with her anymore.

So, I told her that it's written to pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one shall see the Lord. She doesn't have to be besties with them anymore, but she can be nice. This division over beliefs is sickening.

We are leaving or Florida on Saturday. I hope I hear from the local refrigerator repairman soon, I might have to call there. We have a lot to do. We are staying a night on the way down in a hotel on Amelia Island, 100 yards from the ocean. We have to find Charlotte Claire a new bathing suit, and dig out our summer clothes to pack. Poor us, ha.




































4 comments:

Michelle in Florida said...

I agree with what you said 100%. It is very sad what modern society is becoming...so much hatred and division. Especially for the younger generations who are trying to find their way, trying to figure out this world...it's so confusing.

I hope you enjoy your vacation here in Florida. I've heard Amelia Island is beautiful. I'm down further south, Naples area. It's been warm here, low 80's, so I'm sure you will enjoy that. :)

Lisa said...

The thing that disturbs me most about all of the points you very nicely made (and I agree with them ALL) is that it seems like the loudest, most aggressive people are the "winners" in every debate, almost in spite of the facts. Your daughter is not being allowed her own opinions without extreme consequences from her classmates. Who in the world told them all that their opinion matters more than hers? I learned to "agree to disagree" and go on with my life long ago - why isn't anyone telling all of the very vocal, very emotionally charged people this? I think this is another form of bullying -and everyone has a no tolerance policy on that, right? I am just astounded at what "normal" looks like anymore. I cannot stand all the meanness and hatred in this world. I am absolutely sure that loving your neighbor still applies to all of us, not just those who can't yell as loud as someone else, or who refuses to name call and label others as unworthy. Slut-shaming? wow, that is a new one. I shudder to think of the definition of the word slut at this point. I know what it meant when I was in high school but I have a feeling you can do a whole lot now and not be labeled one.

Anonymous said...

Your poor girls. That is terrible with a capital T. Will think of her.
Safe travels.

Simone

Marilyn from Canada said...

Oh Della....I'm sorry your daughter is being shunned for voicing her opinion. It is too bad this had to happen........ most young girls are are a bit like sheep and all follow along. At least she took a stand on her beliefs......good for her!! I admire someoneone so young doing that. You must be looking forward to your Florida holiday 🤗 Hopefully the drive down will go well and no awful weather. Enjoy!!

Marilyn from Canada