summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 17, 2024

autumn-y fun...

Apple picking!  Rhys was very in to it!
Me...

The apples were Ruby Frost...mmm.




Achilles, Kathryn, Jamie, Rhys...


The tv cabinet/cube thing from my comfy chair...cozy lights, and the pumpkins all arranged into one little pile, thank you Achilles:)

We came home and made apple pie!  Rhys and Achilles helped as I peeled the apples:  they talked and watched and stirred the apples up in the bowl.  I do make an ugly pie.

They helped me spread half and half on top, then sprinkle all the sugar on it.  For this pie crust, 2 and 1/2 C flour, scant teaspoon salt, whirred it in the food processor, added two sticks of butter, sliced, whirred it a bit so it is still a bit chunky, you don't want it fine.  Then added ice water, a splash or two at a time, then make it into two discs, handle as little as possible, wrap and refrigerate while you peel and slice apples.  I sprinkled these with lemon juice, then added a mixture of 1/2 C brown sugar, 1/2 C white sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour, 1 teas cinnamon (I used 2), and half teas nutmeg.  I would have added more flour, it came out too juicy but I did cut it when it was steaming hot.  

In any case, it was delicious.


 The toy turned on when Suri plopped onto the dog bed.  Also, do you like her Kamala toy?  We have a Biden one too.  What?!  They like to play with them!

Dinner:  I bought some bone in strip steaks, not so very expensive, just really wanted them....Jonathan grilled, I put halved Brussel sprouts and squash cubes in the iron frying pan in olive oil, mmm.  It was a simple dinner, but so absolutely delicious.  Then some pie, because yes, I had some.  It was good.  Everything I had hoped for as I longed for it these past few weeks.  

Tomorrow, the pool, then brekky with some of my dear friends, then watching a few grandkids while one goes for an appointment...

I'm tired enough this evening, phew.  Orange kitty woke me at five this morning to go out...have a good night, everyone. :)

No comments: