summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, October 2, 2026

oot-and-aboot....

 Not really, I am not Canadian.  :).  But I did go out and about.  First to brekky, at the little place in town.  Our swim class group met up there.  Diner coffee, ahhh, and a hot breakfast, with nice people...we caught up, I mostly talked to Connie, she's the nice lady who gave me her childhood dollhouse a few months back.  We're looking forward to the pool opening back up in a few weeks!

Then Cam and I headed to Target, for a jar of peanut butter, two shower curtain liners, one baby outfit for one granddaughter, two bags of sage popcorn (yes, it tastes like stuffing!).  

Home....Grace was coming with the kids, Sam would come after work.  Sonja and Oscar came over with Kaia too.  I got to work making four pie doughs because I had apple pie-on-the-brain.  It took over an hour to peel and slice about eight pounds of apples.  I mixed up the flour/cinnamon/brown sugar/sugar mixture, poured it on the apple slices, and started on the meatballs.  Five pounds or so of 90% ground beef, a pound of mild Italian sausage, cracker crumbs, bread crumbs, whole oats, fresh garlic, chopped onion, onion powder, garlic powder, 4 eggs...lots of meatballs into the oven.  I made some sauce, put the water on for pasta, then started on the pies.  I rolled out the dough which had been in the refrigerator, filled with apples,  put on the top crusts, added heavy cream and granulated sugar, and into the oven on parchment covered cookie sheets....

Sonja finished making the pasta, and it was dinner time.  (The meatballs were really good!)  (I skipped the pasta).   

Anyway...while we ate, and talked, and played with the kids, we smelled those pies baking...the cinnamon and nutmeg...mmmm.  As I pulled them out of the oven, I put heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla in the Kitchen Aid, and soon there was fresh whipped cream.  

The pie...not beautiful, yet beautiful...
Kaia and Maeve
Baby Samantha, Kaia, Samuel and Grant on the couch...

I have one thing to say:  Apple pie is as good as you think it's going to be, those last weeks of summer when you start thinking of autumn and the inevitable baking of pies.  

Tomorrow morning we get up and out the door to the church soccer weekend!  Lots of grandkids will be playing.  It's supposed to be 65 and sunny, just perfect.  Cam made her lunch, one PBJ, Char will probably make the same.  I'll bring some pepperoni and celery and crackers, and some pears and apples for all of us.  Paul is going for a bit, then hunting in the afternoon.  

I don't have a new pictures of baby Nicole for you today, as she was facing a bit away from the angel cam, maybe tomorrow.  She is a miracle!  Thank you for prayers for her and for Abigail and Derek.  

Have a really good night, and a wonderful Saturday!


2 comments:

Kim Carberry said...

I say oot and aboot lol I'm not Canadian but speak with a Geordie accent, someone from Newcastle up in the North East of England. lol
It sounds like you had a lovely day! Sage popcorn sounds so good and yum to the apple pie! I am planning on making some later in the month.

Terri D said...

Prayers continue for that sweet baby girl and family. Your kitchen must smell wonderful all the time. Homemade meatballs are the best! Happy weekend, Della!