summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, March 13, 2010

are we done yet?

Suzanne, Jonathan, and Charlotte Claire have been playing "office" , and "house" in the foyer for hours now. I vacuumed, Suze washed the tile, and I moved the Little Tikes toybench down there, so it must have looked like the perfect little place to play. I vacuumed the stairs and sorted coats and cleaned and vacuumed the hall and sorted out the pantry and the shoes....and lots and lots of other little miscellaneous jobs. The kids who are here have helped out, too. Kathryn made grilled cheese for lunch, I didn't even stop cleaning, just ate my sandwich while I worked.
Oh my goodness, if I worked this hard everyday, I would live in a very clean house. (but we know me better than that!) I cooked the burger for HamburgerHelper Stroganoff. I do not know why, but my kids love that stuff. I am making four boxes so they can have plenty. I don't buy any other varieties, just the stroganoff every once in a while when it is $1 a box and I have a coupon or two. It is Samuel's absolute favorite. I told him recently that there is a dish called Beef Stroganoff, that this stuff is modeled after, and he wants me to make it. So one of these days I will.
Kathryn and Evelyn made a double batch of brownies. I am a firm believer that brownie mix is one of the greatest inventions of mankind. One dollar a box, and quick and easy to make, and right now the house smells heavenly. They smell almost as good as they taste. And before I knew what she was doing, Evelyn had the giant bag of Nestle chips out, dumping some in. I said, "Evelyn!", and she said, "What?? Brownies with chocolate chips are good, aren't they?" What could I say?
Paul and Mirielle still aren't home from the dome, and Abigail and Joseph are still at work. I am supposed to go to church for dinner and a transmission of a sisters' meeting from Norway. I have all the younger kids here, so I cannot leave until someone big gets home, and I don't know if I am going to make it. Right now I am tired from all the stuff I kept myself busy with today, and since I sat in this nice comfy chair.....I could fall asleep.
I have been having trouble with one of the girls today. Will she kill me when she grows up if I write about this? She has these little tantrums when I tell her not to do something, or that she can't have something she asks for. It is like she studied in acting school, and has it down pat. I told her she couldn't use the computer for the entire day since she behaved like that this morning (she slapped Suzanne)....next thing I know, she is on the computer again. I made her get off, and next thing I know, she had slapped Evelyn. hmm. Then, she tried the computer again. hmm. THEN, she wanted to take Rosie out on her leash. I told her no, the neighbor's dog was out and Rosie would pull her right down the driveway and across the street.....she took her out anyway......hmm. I do not like to spank, and she had already sat in a chair for a while before, so I yelled at her. I simply didn't know how to get through to her. She didn't like it very much, and of course tried to blame everything on me. I let her cry and sob in her room for a while, then I talked to her. And I hugged her and told her I love her, but I just do not like her behaviour lately. She seems much better now. Sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I am doing, and it is such a big responsibility to raise these kids. I love them to pieces, but obviously they need discipline sometimes.
They are back now....

2 comments:

Standinginhislight said...

lol, you just described my daughter? did she come for a visit? She is quite a spirited child, brilliant, but sassy! Soooo much different than the 5 boys! For discipline, I created a "thoughtful spot". A specific corner to reflect thoughtfully about her behavior/actions. It is also used to shift her focus, as a Bible & letter supplies are in this spot. She can search for Scripture about better choices, and can write an apology letter to those whom she may have offended. Sometimes she will draw a picture or make a card instead. =) The requirement is 8 min (her age), but usually, by choice, she ends up there for awhile at times.
~Sheri

Darla said...

Isn't it funny how, no matter how many children one has, it so often feels like you have no clue what you're doing. Then sometimes it's a breeze.

I just read a book called, "Parenting with Love and Logic," and it has some real neat tips and ideas. It has humor in it too...very logical and doable tips! It's a pretty laid back style, which is why I think you would like it! :)