summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, March 11, 2010

what a day....

I got busy doing some things today, but not before getting out some playdough and playing with Charlotte Claire and Camille. I didn't actually suggest playdough myself, but rather I demanded they pick it back up from the living room floor and play at the kitchen table. I sat down with them and made some spaghetti and some molded turtles. Then I sort of sneaked away, although in the same room, started cleaning cabinet fronts and shining appliances, (Camille tried to help me by dumping out a packet of cocoa all over the counter) and did laundry in between.....Margaret and Suzanne took them out onto the deck for lunch, which was interupted by the presence of BEES! Suzanne is allergic, and therefore terrified, which transferred to the little girls pretty quickly. So back into the house they trooped. Anyway, later I went back out on the deck with the little girls to absorb some delicious sunshine, and I sat in a wet chair. Oh well, I reasoned, I am already wet, i may as well stay here. Then the girls escaped the deck, and found their long lost sandbox, parked in the mushy wet yard where the snow has melted. Oh well, I figured, they're already down there...so I sat there and enjoyed the sunshine, and talked to my sister on the phone. Then I noticed Rosie running around, shoot! When I called her, she did what she does best, ran down to the neighbors....I was in a tight spot. My skirt was all wet, the bus was coming any minute, and the neighbor lady was outside yelling at Rosie to GO HOME. Rats. I went in and put a long coat on, grabbed the leash and set out...when she saw me she decided to come home.....I clipped the leash on her and tried to hustle the kids in from the sandbox. By this time, they were not only sandy, but all muddy from trying to fill in a mud spot with sand, and walking on it, or rather stomping on it....Then the bus came.

So, the girls had to be bathed and changed and I had to change my skirt....and Mirielle was putting together some lasagna, and the ricotta cheese was spoiled. It wasn't opened, and the date was next month, but it smelled awful. So we decided on chicken, and I subsequently had Aaron put something in the big freezer, and...the freezer is unplugged!!! Oh joy. Someone had thoughtlessly placed a board behind the freezer, and unplugged it. I have to go do some sorting. Because i did not have enough to do, I guess.

I am going to sit here and have a cup of coffee. Sam is making it for me. I decided that we shouldn't save the angelfood cake for after dinner, I need some with my coffee.

So things are not too bad.

I am often tempted to be sick and tired of all the repetative work around here. It starts out innocently enough, but if I give in, then it snowballs, and before I know what hit me, I am MAD, discontent, blaming, and worst of all, feeling sorry for myself. I don't want to be in that state of mind, so if I find myself there, the way out is to repent, then start counting my blessings. One cannot be thankful AND sick and tired of things at the same time. I gave in to these bad thoughts the other day, and boy, things were dismal. I was upset and grumpy and miserable, then I realized how I was being, and was pretty ashamed. I have been given so much, just like the Israelites in the wilderness, they had their freedom and were heading to the promised land. But they did not get to enter, because they complained and did not believe God. It is a serious thing. So today when I was cleaning up and noticing the multitude of things that need to be done around here, I had some dark thoughts, and knew, just knew not to go there.

There is an excellent article today on brunstad.org It is about being converted, and letting God's light shine, and walking in that light.

Now I have quite a sinus headache....I don't mean to complain, but my head has been really stuffy lately, must be something in the air.

Today was a big day for Joseph, his first day of work. He and Abigail are working for a company that gives out samples in Sam's club. So for six hours yesterday, Abigail gave out chicken nuggets. She said one little boy kept coming back for more. Then when he saw her heading in for her break, he pointed at her and yelled, "More, more!" Joseph is giving out cheese samples today, he is allowed to sample too, so he probably thinks he died and went to heaven.

I don't really feel like making dinner, but it won't make itself.....and Mirielle and Margaret are painting their room. Sonja is playing with my phone, Sam is sweeping for me (he is a good boy!), Suze is hugging me, Kathryn is playing SIMS on the computer, Jonathan is going outside to swing with Suzanne who isn't hugging me anymore, and Aaron is doing homework. I have things to take out of the dryer, too. And now that I have written all this down, for some reason I feel more clear-headed, and focused. I have to encourage myself here: no one has it easy in life. Everyone has their trials. People do things they do not like to do every day, it is called "going to work". I am not going to be refused entrance to heaven if I don't get this house in order. I do not have to worry about tomorrow, today has enough troubles of it's own. I don't even have to worry about later, right now is all I have. And like my older kids say to me sometimes, "Don't worry, Mom, it is only going to get worse!!" (that always makes me smile)

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

I had laugh, i love making things with play-doh too.
How annoying about the freezer! i hope you managed to salvage some things.
I too have had a bit of a bad attitude about all the repetitive work which i constantly think would be a whole lot less if people didnt thoughtlessly leave things for someone else to do but i guess thats partly my failing for not teaching them, i struggle with letting it go for peace and quiet or getting on at them and sounding like a terrible mummy...
Anyway it was nice to come and read what you wrote,very encouraging :-)
Oh and yes i'd trade dogs :-) but then we have a fenced yard and she wouldnt have quite as much fun at our house lol!

Cassandra xx

VKT said...

You sound like a wonderful Mom! I love your blog!

Blessings!

FLmom7 said...

Have I told you lately that I love your attitude towards life?

Mrs Marcos said...

You're allowed to have days like this. I love reading about your family, you're a wonderful mother and I always smile when I read about your "goings on."