summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

maybe a little time to write?

Camille ended up in bed with mommy last night. She cried every few minutes....it has been a while since I have endured that kind of interrupted sleep. Wow, it is difficult. Even when she was in bed with me, she cried and fussed several times...I finally gave her more Tylenol, and around six o'clock she settled down...and I had to get up at seven.

So despite feeling like a zombie today, I managed to be quite busy. I left before 8am to go with my brother Bob to buy food for the 700+ dinners that our church is serving on Saturday. I got home, snuggled fussy Camille for an hour or so, and off we were to the orthopaedic dr. The waiting room waiting was punctuated by taking Camille to the bathroom twice, and getting to know the old lady sitting next to me. She said she had five children, and she would rather have taken the first four shopping, than the last ONE....because the youngest was a "hellion". Hmm. sounds familiar. Even though I love my two little girls tremendously, they do give me a run for my money.

Since some of you kindly informed me that they do indeed make waterproof casts, which surprised me because I was totally kidding, I asked about it today, and yes, for a mere $25 extra, she can swim and bathe and play in the hose. As long as she doesn't walk on it, that is. It seems that she broke an important bone, a support bone, and if she walks on it, it is bad. "But," the dr. assured me, "It is hard to keep a two year old from walking, so if she does it will probably be okay."...hmmm. So far she hasn't even wanted to venture down....but I am thinking tomorrow she will be crawling with it, which I will be sure to video, the poor thing, but when Charlotte Claire broke her ankle, she started her mobility with crawling like a soldier, right down on her belly. It was pathetic and hilarious and her brothers delighted in it.

We went grocery-ing, just for a few things like milk and bread and bananas and popscicles and chicken and toothpaste and carrots. I let Kathryn, Evelyn, and Suzanne go to the bulk foods and pick out a little bit of candy...then we were off to their special treat....I had promised them I would take them to any drive-through they wanted to go to last night, for going with me and helping me.....but it was SO late when we left the hospital, we came home and had cereal, CinnamonLife. Today, I took them through BurgerKing. Slushies for $1, Suze got a salad for a $1, Camille got fries...but she got mad and threw them. Suze gave her hers, and she threw them too. uh-oh, she is getting monsterly.

It was in the high eighties this afternoon, so when we got home, we put away the groceries and took a swim. Heavenly....well, except for the leaves on the bottom. And that Camille didn't want to stay in very long, so nice Mommy had to get out and cuddle her, all wrapped in her nice warm towel.

I love love love her, but I must admit, when she went to bed tonight, I sighed a sigh of relief.

I think I will either send the kids an pick them up at noon, or keep them home. Low nineties, too hot for an hour -long busride in the afternoon, too hot to smell those awful lunches cooking in the cafeteria, too hot for chorus practice, and for gym class.

Well, maybe NOT enough time to write, since this is written today, and the first part was written last night! Camille started crying, so I had to go in and go to bed, and take her into bed with me. It is sort of hilarious, I have sixteen children, and have avoided co-sleeping for all these years, except for the occasional nursing newborn....but I usually put them back in the pram after I fed them, because I like my bed to myself, or should I say ourselves. Anyway, Camille "want you, Mommy!",so I offered her to sleep with me......even when she was sick in the past, she would usually want to go back in her bed after a bit, but not last night. I gave her some Motrin because she just kept holding her leg and saying her owie hurt.

So....today is supposed to be ninety degrees. I am letting Jonathan and Sonja stay home today, and picking some of the other kids up at one o'clock, so they can be here in the pool when it is really warm out. I know, I know, I spoil them and baby them.....

And Tereza, I DID keep my promise about the pool the other day, except I wasn't waiting by the pool with snacks, I was waiting IN the pool....oh, the water is so warm, amazing for May.

It is funny because I thought this was going to be such an easy summer compared to the last 25 years or so.....I have had summers where I remember having to get everyone out of the pool when baby woke up, or when I sat holding a baby while they swam and I wished I could go in too....it was never impossible, but it was never just easy. I would of course take a newborn ANY day over having things easy, but since I haven't been blessed with one lately, I was starting to like the idea of EASY. Now, I have an already rather spoiled two year old who is hilariously funny and sweet, but even brattier because she is uncomfortable and doesn't understand why she cannot walk.....all she wants is me...more than usual, even. hmm.

She is still sleeping in my bed so I have to listen carefully so I know when she is awake....all I need is her to fall off the bed and break the other leg....ha, I better just shut up right now.

The piles around here are getting bigger, and when it is hot out, blah, I will not do much housework....maybe next week will be cool and rainy.

No comments: