summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, May 15, 2010

my sweetie pie

"There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead.... When she was good, she was very very good....

But when she was bad she was horrid!" (I do not know who wrote that, but whoever it was: Genius!)

This morning was pleasant enough....a walk with Rosie in the breezy cloudy warmth, enjoying my lilacs in the front yard. I always stop to smell them, I just close my eyes and smell and smell and smell...it makes me think of my mother, very powerfully. I wish they bloomed all year long, they just blossomed and are thinking of fading already.
I made omelets and eggs and sausage and juice and English muffins for breakfast for those of us who were home. Abigail went shopping with Mali, Margaret, Kathryn, Evelyn, and a few of their friends. Benjamin is still sleeping, Mirielle is in Detroit...so it was a smallish crew. Just Paul and I and Joseph, Aaron, Samuel, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille.
We have lots of things to do around here, and when I say "we", I mean Paul. The hose doesn't work...well, it works, but it gets more water down in the basement than it does out the hose. He is working on that today, which means he is at the hardware store with Jonathan. I have been bugging him a bit about the hot tub, but he says he will get the pool going first. Those are just the ones off the top of my head, without getting into the edging of the window he put in a few years back, or the screen repairs or the automatic ice maker.....Paul has so very little time, that I try to really not sweat the small stuff, and just be glad for what does get done around here. I do love him and don't want to give into that nagging and pushing for things. I like to see him be able to relax with his guitar sometimes. One thing I have found is when I keep it more organized and picked up in here, it is less stressful, and he is more relaxed.
Today I am going to my nephew's wedding. I didn't find anything nice to wear while shopping yesterday. Well, I found lots of nice things, but nothing cheap enough. The weather has been so cloudy lately, I haven't been able to sit out in the sun, so I feel pale and ugly. Vanity goes deep. I do not want to be a slave to it, though. I don't wear makeup or do anything to my long tangly hair, except to wash it and put up in a clip. But that doesn't mean it isn't still in me to want to look nice. God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble. I would much rather choose humility and have grace.....but it is a battle!
Well, as the Saturday morning turns into Saturday day, I can think of lots of things I could be doing, rather than sitting here blissfully. And I do mean blissfully. Joseph brought me a second cup of coffee, and reminded me of the Lindt truffles that Abigail had bought me for Mother's Day, still sitting up on top of the refridgerator. There are only twelve in the bag, so it seemed like a good time to crack into them...I like the white ones best. Camille had a white one, too, it is child-friendly.....they are all gone, except for the two we put aside for Paul and Jonathan.....now Sonja can stop asking me when we are having them....


5 comments:

Tereza said...

I can totally relate...to everything you said so let me list them all:)

1.My 3 year old is so sweet and she is very very good BUT when she is bad she is horrid

2. I could make a to do list 5 miles long for my hubby:) but he went to the office this morning again and I found myself saying...no yard work AGAIN huh?

3. Life is better when the house is at least somewhat tidy. Everyone is happier around here...yes including me and hubs

4. why am I sitting here? Oh Ok...it's because I'm eating my oatmeal.

5. Half my cew is out and about too. One at activity club (a special biking trip), tow are cleaning up the church's property. Hubby is at work...ok that's not quite half but still..

6.everything is broken and needs fixing

7. clothes are too expensive and I could by so many cute things if someone would just hand me some cash!!!:)

Martha said...

I remember my parents reciting that little poem when my sisters and I were small. My youngest sister had beautiful strawberry blond curls back then.

I like your sweetie pie.

FLmom7 said...

Oh, those Lindt truffles are sooo good! Camille is adorable and she's getting so big!

mommeeof10 said...

My boss gave me truffles for my birthday. She then informed hubby he was not allowed to have any. We work in the same office.

Darla said...

So funny...Just was thinking, "I can totally relate to, almost everything" and read that in your first comment! :)

The things that need work on...I was just stewing about it yesterday. Not so much the list my husband could do, not this time, but more my list IF ONLY I HAD TIME, and ENERGY, and HELP from my kids. And the vanity thing. Especially when I am pregnant, I start wondering if there is anything I can do to spruce myself up a bit...just a little prettying... and I don't wear makeup or earrings...I don't color my hair...but these are the times I think, "Boy would it be nice to do SOMETHING to cover up this saggy appearance!"

And I know what you're saying about the house being picked up and tidied a bit=happier, more relaxed hubby and the rest of us too! I finally, finally got the floors picked up (almost), swept, and scrubbed yesterday while my husband had the kids out building a turkey coop. We all were smiling last night!

Just feels good to know that others battle the same things!

Oh, and guess what I'm going to be craving now nonstop until I get some. Truffles! I DID promise my 2 y.o. I would stop at the store this morning and buy the kids Sunday morning doughnuts! Hmmm...I think I will grab a bag of truffles too! :)