summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 3, 2011

wah, I wanna go too...

I have eleven daughters. I won't lie, I like saying that. I mean, not many people can say that. Sometimes I will say that to the cashier while she is scanning several packages of reduced price "feminine products", or tons of shampoo and conditioner....when cashier says, "No boys?", I get to say, nonchalantly, "Oh, I have five boys, too.". It IS fun. Anyway, nine of my daughters are going to the beach for the weekend. Driving to the ocean, camping in tents, and "beaching" all day tomorrow. I was politely invited, but I politely declined.

The kitchen table is covered with camping stuff. Marshmallows and charcoal and cookies and hot dog buns....I want to go! Last evening Mirielle and I cut up watermelon and cantaloupe, and added grapes...she also added pineapple to the stuff they are taking, but I am allergic to pineapple. She is baking muffins this morning for their breakfast.

Wah. I want to go! But I will stay here with Paul and Joseph, Aaron, and Samuel, and Jonathan, and the little princesses, Charlotte Claire and Camille. Tonight we shall go to the parade in town, the firemen's parade. Just Paul and I and the three youngest. Joe and Aaron and Sam have plans. It seems so weird to be going to the parade with three kids.

When I say I was politely invited, I mean they would have been fine with it if I had taken them up on their offer, but I sensed relief that I was staying home. Because...they have Emily to look after them, and Emily is more fun than Mom. I heard Sonja asking her something last night, and Emily replying, "You can do anything you want, dear." Now, Emily is a nurse. A nurse in critical care, so she knows a thing or two. But she also likes fun and adventure, so these girls will have freedom to get all sandy and stay up way too late and eat too many marshmallows. But they will also get plenty of sunscreen on and will be encouraged to drink enough water by their big sisters....(Mirielle is the Queen of Staying Hydrated...no soda, just water!)

I am hoping the girls can really bond this weekend. Bond more. So that when they come back, there will be less of the clawing and growling at each other. They do get along well mostly, but there seems to be always at least two of them on each other about something or other. Not so much the older ones, but the middle and younger ones.

Yesterday....I will not bore with the details, but I did not stay home. Mirielle had a dr. appointment, Mali had to have an immunization for college, and a dr. appointment for her knee, Walmart for an oil change and camping groceries, Kohl's because...well, because Kathryn, whom we picked up early from school, needed shorts. She found some for six dollars. I found Char and Camille the most adorable dresses for $4.80 each, and Tinkerbell night gowns for $6.....my spoiled little girls....they came with us, and Aaron did too.

Home from shopping, and off to the pool for Mirielle and I....guilt though: Paul made dinner for the kids! He insisted. He knows how much I need to go, and is really supportive of it. I came home, dinner was done and cleaned up, I made myself a huge salad with walnuts, cucumber, green pepper, grape tomatoes, spinach, romaine, and bacon bits....ah, life is good.

4 comments:

Tereza said...

Oh my goodness I certainly relate to how much you wanted to go:) I feel that way a lot myself! But doing something with hubby and only three kids sounds like a mini vacation itself! Think you can maybe actually have a conversation with your man!!!!!!!! :):)

Chrissy in Chaos said...

Your husband sounds like a super awesome type of guy. :) My husband is the same - He works away alot and works hard, but when he is home he will always find the time to give me time either with him or down time for me! Good Men!

ccc said...

Oh, it's so hard to stay out of the older girl's fun events!
I did not realize you had so many girls--I saw your pictures and read your posts before, but when you said 11 girls and then 5 boys, it hit me.
I know a lady who has 10 girls and 1 boy and currently pregnant but does not know what it is--another girl she thinks!

16 blessings'mom said...

Tereza, it is a bit low-key here. Four of my boys are home, and the two little princesses. The bigger boys aren't much trouble, but they can be noisy. Joseph plays guitar and piano, and is teaching himself to play drums. My husband IS super awesome. He is so responsible, and you know how the responsible ones always get the most work to do, that's him. (work-work, church work...) But he is so much fun, and he doesn't put himself first. He is still pretty romantic, too, but I shall say no more about that or my kids will kill me.