summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

how many tents do we need to go camping?

Five, we think. Bedding, sleeping bags, towels. Food: I shopped yesterday, today I will grill 10-12 pounds of chicken breast, cut it up, baggy it, and freeze it. It can be warmed up either over a fire in a grill basket, or in case of rain, on the small propane camp stove. I will cook up a six pound package of burger, add taco seasoning, and freeze it in some baggies. And we will have hot dogs the last night. They last a long time in the cooler...(yuck though, right?)(but they taste ever so good when one is camping). We will have eggs and bacon, and oatmeal in the mornings. I also bought some Poptarts for the kids. Lunches: peanutbutter and fluff or jelly, and some sliced turkey and ham. Snacks...chips, cookies, blah...not for me!

I have a system for packing. It's called When I Think Of Something, I Put It On The Table. I also have a list. We take the two back seats out of the huge van, and pack everything in there. Then use the third row seat for bedding, and the front seats and first row for seating, along with the minivan. The little girls have a couch full of toys they want to bring.

I had to go buy one more tent yesterday. Paul had the unenviable task of assembling several tents in the front yard to see which ones were usable.

Kathryn is sick. Fever, sore throat, headache. I took her to dr. yesterday, he did a throat culture so I don't know yet if she has Strep. She wanted apple juice and ice cream, so I stopped at the store. Um, $76 later, I was hurrying back out to the truck, where she waited ever so patiently. Sorry, Kap, I just was getting what you wanted and saw this and that, I did hurry. I sounded lame even to myself. But I got some food we need for camping. I hope she is better enough by tomorrow to come...a few of the older kids will be here since college is starting, but I want her to come camping.

After settling Kap in with some ice cream and marinating the chicken I bought, I was out the door again with Evelyn and Suzanne, to buy a tent. And more food. We went to the sporting goods store first, in the big suburb. I reluctantly spent my birthday gift certificate, the one I was going to use on some nice sneakers, on a shade thingy. Our last one broke and refused to fold down when we left during the terrible rain storm.

At Target, I got the tent and some undies for the little girls. They are trying on all eleven pair as I write this. I wonder if it occurs to them that they are all the same size. I really should throw away some of the ratty old ones. I also got them some clearanced shirts for school, which they are thrilled about.

I got up early this morning and walked in the sprinkles. As I walked, I wrote the book I am going to write someday, in my head. My walk was over too soon. When the kids go back to school, I think I will write chapter after chapter on my walks, and walk lots farther.

Anyway, going shopping with Evelyn and Suze is more fun that it should be. Suze got tired so Evie pushed her in the cart with the cat food and marshmallows. Suze is taller than me, so she looked pretty hilarious all folded up in that cart. We stopped at McDonalds for coffee for me, and a frappe for Ev, a milkshake for Suze. And fries for Suze. I ate one. Why on earth are those fries so yummy?

Home at last. Put away the groceries. phew. What a day. I did manage a nice swim in the afternoon before Kap's dr. appointment, our pool is amazing this year, so clear and clean. I love it the most, followed by Camille, then Char.

If this post seems scrambled and disjointed, it is because, A. I took Suri out to pee. B. I am helping the girls try on their new stuff. And C., I keep thinking of all I have to do and know I need to Move It.

So...I don't know if I will write again before we leave. Cross those fingers we have good weather!

























1 comment:

Mum said...

I hope your camping trip goes well. You are one super mom, I haven't worked up the courage to take the children camping on my own, but I really should, they would love it.

Sending prayers and hugs to your family, Ben and Ashley.