summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, August 10, 2012

just a rainy day...

I was nice this morning. I got out of my cozy bed, got dressed, took Suri outside, then drove Samuel to work. It is only five miles away, but I couldn't let him ride his bike in the rain. Suri went with me. I washed a few dishes, ate some breakfast...Quaker whole oats, microwaved with some water...freshly toasted sliced almonds, and half a nice juicy peach sliced over the top. With some brown sugar. Coffee. Yum. The rain is pitter-pattering on the air conditioning unit, and it is dark and cozy in here. Suri is sleeping in the laundry room doorway, and all the kids are still in their beds. I have a stack of library books, and the couch is calling me. I didn't take my walk in the pouring rain, so I will have to make up for that later.

We haven't had many rainy days this summer, so I am rooting for this one to last all the live-long day. I hate when the sun peeks out when I still feel like hunkering down inside. Problem is, we are planning a camping trip for next week, and the weather, which has been hot and sunny all summer, is changing. Rain and cooler days. blah. Not good tenting weather. We shall have to get together and decide if we still want to go to the mountains. I will still swim in the lake even if it is chilly, but it is more pleasant if it is warm. Next week is the only week that will work for everyone schedules though....better chilly and rainy than not at all, right?

Yesterday was a Library Day. Kathryn 14, Evelyn 12, Suzanne 11, Sonja 10, Charlotte Claire 6, and Camille 4, went with me. Jonathan sort of wanted to go but Samuel said he would let him shoot his air-soft gun and watch a movie with him if he stayed home. Jon always wants to go but he really doesn't like the shopping after. Anyway, we got some books, then went to Kohl's to get sneakers for Kathryn. I tried on a few bathing suits and ended up getting a few tankini tops, super-cheap. I bought Jon a pair of shorts and a shirt for school, and a few things for the little girls, and a dress for Evelyn. Then we went to the grocery store. Bread and English muffins, Cheerios and bananas, laundry detergent and yogurt, milk and cheese. We got some gum that tastes like dessert, I chose apple pie flavor. Half price, of course. It is quite good. Sugar free, too. Then, I took them to McDonalds. Bad food, waste of money. Why do they like it so much? I had a few chicken nuggets and a fruit and yogurt parfait, and a coffee. The McDouble looked so good, but I do not eat those anymore. I know, I know, the nuggets are trash too. But yummy trash.

Home...put away the groceries, and jump in to the pool! Before we got in, Paul was mowing in the way back, and suddenly started yelling and jumping around. At first I thought he mowed his foot off or something, but then realized he was getting stung. He had hit a wasp's nest in the ground, and got several-everal bites. He ran to the pool and sat on the side, dipping his legs in...ouch ouch. I had gotten a few myself in the same spot last week while watering that garden back there. He went out later and sprayed the nest. phew, never a dull moment. I was glad it was wasps and not his foot cut off though.

We watched some Olympic diving, and some races, while reading stories to the little girls. They were all tucked in when the thunder and lightening started...I love a good storm, but they aren't quite as impressed. It was a good one though.

Anyway, not much to say, not much going on. But I will mention that I thought I had put on a few pounds being away at our church conference...no scale there, so I had to just guess...so I was glad to come home and find out I hadn't gained any, in fact this morning I am down to a nice new low! I will behave today, and make myself exercise instead of just reading those library books...



























3 comments:

16 blessings'mom said...

If you want to read a good and encouraging story, go to brunstad.org and read about my friend Dave's battle with cancer. Amazing and encouraging. If it is the only thing you do today, read this article.

Chet and Ashley said...

I know exactly what you mean about not being ready for the sun to come out on a day that starts out rainy! I feel like I HAVE to be outside enjoying the weather if the sun is out.

I am praying for Benjamin and Ashley. Really. I pray that God changes her heart and heals their marriage. The military is not a family-friendly environment (I know first hand).

Blessings,
Ashley

www.chetandashley.blogspot.com

Sherah said...

Oooooh I hope I can say the same when I am gone to conference!!! Except ours is 15 days...I am definitely going to bring my scale AND my tape measure. Haha anal I know, but sometimes that is ALL that keeps me from snacking late at night, knowing I've been good all day and the scale *might* be nice to me in the morning.