summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Friday, June 19, 2015

never a dull moment...ever...

Yesterday was a whirlwind of...well, I'll just make a scattered list.

1. I spend a good part of Wednesday cleaning and packing, so Thursday was shop-for-the-camp-trip day. Kathryn accompanied me, because she wanted to stop at the thrift store to find a certain type of baseball cap. So. Dollar store, BigLots (shampoo, insect repellent, pumpkin seeds, undies...)BJ's, where Kathryn talked me into buying a huge bag of Nerds and Laffy Taffy. She said, "Just imagine going out in the kayak, and sitting on the lake, and eating candy."

2. We then went to Aldi for cashews (the salt and pepper cashews are so good!), raspberries, eggs, avocados, an air mattress because the cabin sleeps 12!, ha. We already have a few here, too.

3. While in Aldi, the vet called my house, so Margaret called me, and gave me the message. Apparently it's not conclusive that Duke's ear is cancerous, but it can't be ruled out. Vet wants to keep him on the antibiotic, keep fleas under control, and see what happens...if ear continues to bother, perhaps remove it. I have to call her back, she didn't pick up when I called when I got home...

4. But my head wasn't totally in the Duke Game, because...when I got home laden with all sorts of things to be frozen, refrigerated, packed...Evelyn mentioned how much her foot hurt. She had stepped on a tack the day before...and uh-oh, there was a red line leading from the now swollen spot on the bottom of her foot, across the foot, and up to the ankle. I am no doctor, but I know that red lines going up limbs are dangerous, so a call to the pediatrician...and yeah, bring her right in.

5. So...she has a nice infection going on, Dr. cultured it to make sure the meds he prescribed would cover whatever germ she picked up.

6. While paying for the antibiotic in Walmart, Mali called me, all upset...she had been having cramps and was sent to the hospital to be checked out...oh dear. She still has like nine weeks left...

7. Home...again. I was SO stressed out, trying to take things right, but just frazzled to the bone. Mali texted finally and said she was okay, just infection. Wow...Duke, Evelyn, Mali.

8. After making dinner of hot sausage on the grill and steamed broccoli, I went out to the pool...all by myself. It was just what the dr. ordered. I swam and floated and sorted my thoughts. Oh, it was nice.

9. My lab results came in, and they're not too shabby! My fasting glucose was 90, A1C: 5.5 , triglycerides 53, "good" cholesterol 82, total cholesterol 191, and normal readings for thyroid. And, I lost another pound, for a grand total of ten pounds now since starting this new thing back at the end of April.

10. I woke up at five this morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed...but that didn't last long. I tossed and turned and thought about things...every time I got even close to falling back to sleep, I would think...hmm, I need to pack "D" batteries for the air mattress pump. Or, is four pounds of butter enough for a whole week? Do we have enough dog food? Garbage bags, we need to pack some of those. I need to renew my library books.

11. So here I am. I swept the floors and made a pot of coffee...I know I should do more cleaning, one would never believe how clean it was in here the day before yesterday.

12. We have to leave in just an hour to pick Benjamin and Ashley and little Anya up from the airport!!! Yeah, I should be doing more work. I really should. I mean, I opened the microwave, and if I was at someone else's house and their microwave was that dirty, yuck. I try to keep it clean, needs to be done. Yet here I sit. I know I have some kids who would LOVE to help instead of sleeping in on this cloudy morning.

And...there is bedding to wash...

No comments: