summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, July 24, 2016

a surprise getaway!!!


Paul surprised us! Remember on my Saturday post when I said I hoped we were going to do something fun? Paul had booked a hotel up in Watertown without telling me! The girls and I had cleaned up the house...(I had asked Camille to steam mop the floors, she dragged her feet a little, then I told her I would sit on the deck with her afterward and have a cold drink...she mopped speedily, and did a nice job of it...)...I did laundry, vacuumed the furniture, wiped down counters and washed up dishes...then we sat on the deck and had iced tea...then a little swim. We were headed into the house to make bacon and eggs when Paul asked us what we wanted to do. Cam said, "Something fun." Well, how about going to a hotel? hmm, what?

So we packed up, which is one of the girls' favorite things to do. They packed Barbies, and agonized about what clothes to bring for them. They were a chittering and a chattering the whole time. I had to nicely ask that they let me think for a minute or two, so I didn't forget anything.

We stopped at Walmart on the way, to get a few healthy snacks, and some cheese popcorn for the girls, which we ended up sharing with them. Paul says I take forever in Walmart, it took twice as long as it needed to, and I was hurrying! He just puts things in the cart, I mull and decide.

The hotel was very nice, a Hilton Garden Inn, and no, I am not getting paid. We had a suite, with a television for the girls, and one for us. The room was very nice, and the girls squealed about every detail



. We went in the pool and in the hot tub, then went over to Chipotle for some takeout, which the girls voted to eat in front of the t.v., because they love watching the house shows...Little Homes, or Flip or Flop. We went in the hot tub again in the evening...



It was a beautiful summer night to sit outside for a bit...



And this morning, we had a breakfast that the girls adored! Blueberry and chocolate chip pancakes, made to order, fresh fruit with whipped cream, pastries, bacon, eggs, sausage, juice...I avoided the carbs, but I did take a croissant, just to taste it...and it was hands down horrible compared to the ones in France. I had a few red raspberries with whipped cream with my eggs and bacon, and otherwise behaved myself. The coffee was yummy, and it was so relaxing. I tell you, as much as I miss the days with all the little ones, I also revel in being able to just eat my food while it's hot.

After breakfast, we checked out, which is also super easy with two well-behaved little girls, ha, and headed...



The beach!!!

It was breezy and hot, the water was clear and warm. I hadn't remembered the sunscreen, oops, so I burnt my nose. We also forgot the cooler, but it was fine...I packed baggies of ice in the paperbag from Chipotle, and put the cucumber slices and baby carrots and strawberries on it...we had a few cashews, lots of water, and it was nice.

On the way home, we stopped at the store for coffee, Paul just ran in, and he brought out donuts for the little girls. I took a teeny bite of Char's, and oh kill me it was good. What was I thinking? I KNEW it would be good. It tasted just plain heavenly. But I didn't have anymore...

Home...ah home. It was nice to go away, but nice to be home. We had grilled hot sausages, fresh Italian bread (not me!), and zucchini and yellow squash from the garden.

Now I am going to watch a movie with the teenagers....:)





















4 comments:

Kanadiangirl said...

You have one darling husband!!!!!! Wow!! The beach looks so awesome I wish I could jump right in now!!! Which one is it?

16 blessings'mom said...

Yes, I agree. He is pretty sweet. The beach...Southwick, a state park. I practically grew up there, my parents had a camp just a mile or so down the beach from the park.

Simone said...

amazing thing for Paul to do! How wonderful, I'm sure you 3 girls loved the surprise!

Simone said...

Maybe he is trying to mellow you for all the bone broths he will be making soon haha just joking
Simone 😉