summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, April 29, 2017

and how did this happen?!!!


Jonathan is as tall as Emily! Em is my oldest, Jon is #14 (actually #15, but that is a whole 'nother story). Emily was with me when Jonny was born, back when she was 19 years old. Paul was with me for all the births of course, and he was comforting, but Emily has a magic touch, she was amazing. Jon was born on his exact due date, I went into labor naturally. But when I got to seven centimeters dilated, it slowed down...contraction after contraction, and no progress...I was getting tired, so I asked for some pitocin. Within an hour, there he was! He cried so much when he was born, and that crying was the music-y-iest music to my ears you can possibly imagine. He was born, he was alive, he was crying! I could snuggle him up and nurse him, and he was alive. I can't put into words how this was for me after having baby Robert, baby Robert who was all whole and perfect yet so still and sad and having to say goodbye to him...(Jonathan was born 10 months and 2 weeks after Robert was born, stillborn...)I felt like Jonathan was just this huge gift. I think our whole family felt like that. He was the first baby boy after five girls in a row, and his big brother Sam was a whopping 8 years old, so all new stuff for Jonathan. (It's crazy, Jon was 8, then five the girls, then Robert, then Jon...)

Anyway. Jonathan is growing up. He is, and always has been, a precious boy. He is snarky and sarcastic and witty and funny, but he is kind and sweet and nurturing. He has a huge heart for the younger kids, and tons of patience with them. Sometimes I wonder if I just see him through the old rose colored glasses because he's my little boy, or if he's really such a gem. Then I see him on his own, go and play with a younger cousin who is struggling, or the way he offers to help, how he is so willing to share. And I think that perhaps he is seriously one of the best kids ever.

Yeah, I do think that about all of my kids, in to some degree.

Having Sam home is amazing, by the way.

Tomorrow, we are having a big birthday celebration for Jon...lots of kids here...lots of burgers on the grill, and lots of cupcakes.

Oh...and I finally made the scale go down!!! Just a few pounds, but hey, I'll take it!!!

3 comments:

Marilyn from Canada said...

Yea Della!!! That happens when we stay on trackπŸ‘ I can't imagine how many burgers you will have to cook for that many boys!!! Oh my....half a cow !!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Have a really fun day ..........

Marilyn from Canada

Marilyn from Canada said...

BTW......Emily looks the same age as Jon!! That is a compliment..........

Marilyn from Canada

Carol said...

Such a lovely tribute to him. I am sure Robert would have been a wonderful young adult as well.