summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Monday, April 3, 2017

just sick...and it's all my fault...

I did manage a nice walk yesterday afternoon with Abigail, our second oldest daughter.

But, I'm sick. Just a bad cold, stuffy and aching head, that miserable want-to-crawl-into-bed-and-feel-sorry-for-myself feeling. I don't get sick very often, and honestly, last week, I was rather marveling, very stupidly, over how other people always seem to get sick, and I remain fine. It wasn't exactly a PROUD thought, I was just wondering about it. Then I got the headache Friday night, and the stuffiness...getting up with Duke this weekend was no picnic, ha.

Anyway. I had a nice weekend anyway. Mirielle came to visit on Friday afternoon while I was making oatmeal cookies. I toasted the oats first, but it wasn't a very good recipe. I wasn't making them for me anyway, they were to cozy up the house so the kids could come home from school and have cookies, and be warm.

So Paul came home from work and told me he was taking me out to dinner, he had made reservations for 6:30. He said Abigail reminded him that he was in India for Valentine's Day, and Ireland for our wedding anniversary. (wow, thank you Ab!). It was a happy evening...and it was a nice restaurant. I had fried haddock, the only kind of fish I actually like, and it was perfection. Paul shook his head at me for forgetting my glasses, he had to read the menu to me...then when the waiter took my order, he asked me, "Soup or salad?", and I thought he was offering, "Super salad", and I said, "Yes, please.". Then Paul said, "Which one do you want?", and I got it. oops.

But it was a nice meal, a glass of wine, then coffee and we split a fresh homemade cannoli. It was tasty, but way too small.

Saturday, Paul went out to set up a trail-cam where he deer hunts, and I had four little girls having a good time here...Miss Char and Miss Cam had cousin Dani and friend Amanda over, it was a sleepover! Well, Evelyn wanted to go to the thrift store, so Suzanne said she would look after the girls for a bit and help them make slime (with foam balls and glitter, what a mess!). Evelyn, Sonja, and I went to the thrift store...I was happy, I found a shirt for myself for a dollar fifty, a few pretty woven Easter baskets, three nice Barbies still in the boxes, and a few other nice clothes for the kids...all the clothes were 50% off.

Home...and time to make the pizza. I always make a keto pizza in addition to the regular ones we make, with almond flour and mozzarella cheese crust.

The two pepperonis...

Peppers and onions, bacon, and pepperoni. I didn't take a pic of the keto pizza, but it was good.

Yesterday, I stayed home alone...all alone, with the three doggies, and the two kitties. I was not feeling horrible, but too sniffy for church, I didn't want to share the cold with all the babies there. So I swept and mopped and dragged the sewing machine out. I re-covered two throw pillows I had bought at the thrift store (they were really clean, smelled good, no stains, but I put them in the dryer first anyway.) I washed dishes, made a batch of chocolate chip cookies...

And, since it was so nice out, the sun shining and temperatures in the fifties, I swept off the deck. Paul and some of the kids had left with Suri and Sunny, to go on an adventure/hike on a little island not too far from here, with fishing poles. (Sunny jumped in the pond, swam out, and stole the bobber)(she's bad:)). The dogs came home exhausted, muddy, and happy. Sunny needed a bath, but she's getting used to baths.

Abigail came to visit while most of the family was gone, and it was pleasant. We sat out there on the deck for a bit, soaking in the sunshine and trying to ignore the chilly wind, ah springtime in central New York.

Then dinner...I had put two roasts in the oven, with carrots. The girls wrapped some potatoes in foil and put them in to bake, and I microwaved some fresh broccoli. It was a very nice Sunday dinner....

Then later, we watched a few episodes of, "The Simpsons", and I made popcorn, the yummy kind in the big pan on the stove, with lots of butter.

This morning, I eyed the stack of popcorn bowls, and the pan, still sitting in the sink...the floors ALWAYS need sweeping, with three dogs in here, but especially in the morning. I cannot sit in my chair without sweeping first. So I swept. I wiped down the counters, and threw in a load of towels. Then I found myself here, wrapped in a blanket, sipping coffee. My head hurts, my throat hurts, I am starting to cough, and I am all stuffed up. But ha, I am as happy as can be. I am thankful I am homeschooling the three youngest, they are sleeping in to catch up from a very busy weekend, soon they will stumble out here, wrap in blankets, perhaps toast some waffles and make themselves a cup of tea, and we will look things up and talk about things, and do some math. Maybe we'll make it to the library later....

1 comment:

Joybells said...

Sorry you were sick, Della! I hope you're feeling better now. You sure had a productive Sunday in spite of it. Allergy season hit me yesterday and I've been sneezing my head off.

So funny about the lady at Mo's. Some people are just sheltered. It's not like you're the only person in the world with lots of kids. But it's definitely not something most people see every day. The freebies are nice, though!

Praise the Lord for sunshine, and spring at last!!