summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, December 29, 2022

but I like it!!!!

 What on earth did we ever do before social media, just stumble around without knowing who took down their decorations, and when?   I go back and forth...I sort of want to just put it all away...but Christmas REALLY took over, in my house. Red, green, plaid, blankets, throw pillows...I have FOUR Christmas cross stitches from Paul's mom, love them, don't want to take them down.  There are lights and little undecorated, understated trees...snowmen, and gingerbread men, and the red mugs!  I mean, fa-la-la-la-la!  On a mug!  So cute, so festive!  So SAD to pack it away, in a dark box, not cheering anyone up.   The house will take on the January Grinch-came-and-stole-everything look.  

So the tree sparkles from the corner, adorned with the white furry tree skirt we got from Aldi for like seven dollars, never had one before...used to use a red sheet, then maybe a small plaid throw blanket.   It can sparkle there for a few more days, as I come to grips with the passing of yet another season of fun and excitement.  

It's not like once you take it all down, the world turns gray...or boring.  It's not like this is the end of everything.  So why does it seem that way?

Oh stop, I tell myself.  There are abundant blessings to count, and innumerable things to be thankful for.  

This fine morning, in about fifteen minutes, ten of which I will spend remaining in the chair blogging, the last five:  hurrying my rear end up and getting ready quick quick quick, I will be heading along on the 35+ minute drive to the orthopedic office, to get the full scoop from the surgeon on what exactly is going on with Miss Camille's knee.  

We cannot go to Aldi afterward, which is sheer torture, because the girls are going to a museum with their friends, an hour west of here, so we have to hurry hurry hurry.  Now, Aldi is a stone's throw away from this medical center.  We've never NOT stopped in there. harrumph.  All that driving, and no Aldi.

Jonathan is back in Europe, he's in Norway for a church gathering, then will go back to Germany.  Mariel and I drove him to New Jersey on Tuesday, to the airport.  It's four and a half hours each way.  The drive there was nice, getting to spend all that time with Jonny...we stopped at Chik-fil-A, which was nice too...just some nuggets for me, but the fries looked yummy.  Instead, I had a pear I had brought from home.  

My new Christmas pour-over kettle...
The mountains in Pennsylvania...we had good weather for our trip.
My beautiful daughters in Target, the aunties...Char, Sonja,Cam...
Jonathan...miss him already!
Random pic of Adrian and Wulf, ice skating...Wulf is so cute!
And:

My humble opinion:  sad. Very sad. This dr. believed what he was told, chose to mock those who didn't believe it, and it's still sad.    I won't get into the whole vax thing here again, but jeepers, there have been so many heart related issues associated with it, youngsters especially...

And...guess what? Yup, five minutes!  Have a good day!

3 comments:

Deb said...

I laughed so hard at this part: "What on earth did we ever do before social media..." It's true! I'd prefer a life without it, but I'm sure you know that by now. It cracks me up when the younger generations carry on like certain things are impossible without a phone glued to their hand, or with technology doing everything for them. Well, it makes me mad but I also laugh at them.

The vaccine situation is a touchy subject indeed. My family was torn apart for a while in 2020/2021 because some siblings had crazy strong opinions on all things pandemic related. One pretty much called the rest of us backwards hillbillies. And it's all so stupid! I mean, geez, do people get so worked about Coke vs Pepsi, Marvel vs DC, chocolate vs vanilla? We can have differing opinions and still get along, people!

Terri D said...

Your home must look amazing with all the cozy Christmas decorations and colors! I decorate right after Thanksgiving and take it all down by the 1st. Mainly because I had time off when I was working and that worked. Now I'm working again... Girl, keep those decorations as long as they make you happy!! I leave two Nativity Scenes out all year. Happy New Year to you and yours! xo

Unknown said...

He’ll Della! I, for one, am taking everything down tomorrow. I don’t have a big house and it’s looking a bit cluttered……..in my opinion. Too bad you couldn’t go to Aldi. We don’t have that here, but they have it in Australia!! I hope you got some answers at the doctors for Camille. Poor little thing to have to go through that again.

That was a little drive to get Jonathan off, but nice to spend the time with him. He’s a world traveler!

I hope you day was good 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦