summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, December 23, 2022

he's here! and the calm before the storm...

 

Jonny is home!  From Germany, through Denmark, through Sweden, to Norway, then a flight to New Jersey, picked up by Abigail on her way here from Delaware...finally got home, what a trip.
Happiness...
The peanut butter fudge
Even clearance prices are going up!


A nice fresh batch of cookies...
A trip to the car wash, sunny day, before the storm...


Yeah, the temperature is going to drop a bit today...a flash freeze, with high winds, some snow blowing....

Lots going on, going to make the lasagna today...made the regular fudge last night along with the peanut butter fudge.  We had a late dinner, a celebratory dinner, for Jonathan coming home...strip steaks, mashed potatoes, Brussel sprouts, and rolls...mmmm.

We are going to bring some firewood in, in case we lose power, and it's ten degrees out...Kathryn and Darius are coming over with their kids soon...the fun and festivities are upon us!  

I thought I'd throw this out here:  Life isn't all sunshine and roses, so if you read my blog and think my life is just a series of adventures, well...it sort of is...but.  I have my trials!  Not to complain, but to keep it real:  I have aches and pains. If I sleep on one side, my arm fall asleep.  If I sleep on the other side, my hip aches, sometimes excruciatingly.  If I sleep on my back, I snore, and probably have sleep apnea, because I usually get a headache.   If I can fall asleep before any of the ailments above kick in, I'm good, but the tossing and turning nights, oh dear.  Then I get up, and if I lean over wrong, my lower back...sometimes I have a Bad Knee day, as I have horrible arthritis in my knees...sometimes, a Bad Hip day.  I try to move, to do my exercises, to get out and about and walk and get my steps in, Use it or Lose it kind of thing...sometimes I feel spread too thin, forgetful, unorganized, a day late and a dollar short...but, I do know this:

Thankfulness solves so many problems.  Faith in the knowledge that God loves me, and wants only what's best for me, and knowing that this life is temporary, and the trials are refining me, like gold, testing and proving, what God's will is in my life.  Is this the day which the Lord has made?  Or is that tomorrow, or next week when the house is going to be really clean and I get a good night's sleep?  "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you..."(1 These 5:16-17)

ALWAYS?  yes.  always.  God does NOT make mistakes, and when we place our lives into His keeping, he sends all things for our very best.  

I know that the next few days are going to challenge me. It's going to be loud and busy and messy and I kind of like quiet, and cleanness, and down time.  I AM excited to see all the kids, and the grandkids, I really am, I do love them all...but being real: it will challenge me.  So, I am extremely thankful that God hears the longings of my heart, that He will give me more patience...I don't have to argue with anyone, I don't have to be RIGHT, I don't have to have the last word...so there can be peace....in the midst of all the personalities, peace. 

(ha, when the kids were growing up, I pictured myself with my striped shirt and whistle, holding up my hands and making the judgement calls:  Penalty!  Think about what YOU said, stop blaming her!  NO HITTING!  Take a minute, calm down, don't interrupt, stop arguing....I would tell them, "My favorite verse in the Bible is:  Oh, how good and pleasant it is when brethren dwell together in unity..."(psalm 133)

Evelyn is on her way here, and Kathryn too....the fun is starting!   Have a very Merry Christmas, and God bless you!


7 comments:

Deb said...

Glad your son is home! And ohhh, the candies from abroad. Mmmm.

We are in the middle of the 2-day Storm To End All Human Life, or so you'd think the way the media hyped it. It fizzled of course. It IS darn cold (-11 with wind chill -37) but nowhere near the amount of snow or wind they were predicting. Thankful for that part at least! It has delayed my grocery shopping though, and I'm not looking forward to doing that on Christmas Eve day.

Hope you have fun with your festivities!

Cheryl said...

I think this is your best post ever. Pretty much the reason for our existence, and why we have faith in God! I’m sure, through it all, you will have a very Merry Christmas ❤️❤️

Cindy said...

Oh, I could relate to everything in this post! The bad back, snoring when I sleep on my back, loving family beyond description but loving my quiet time too... yep! Enjoy your weekend! Have a very Merry Christmas!

16 blessings'mom said...

Deb, they do hype the storms! It went from 40's to ten degrees here today, with wild wind gusts and lake effect snow...brrr.
Cheryl, Merry Christmas! It is a good fight of faith!
Cindy, Merry Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

It’s windy and 15 on the island. It was 59 at 2. I am wrapped in a blanket very thankful we did not have to go out tonight.
I love that you are real. Life is not easy, it can be difficult at times. But knowing that my Savior is real, loves me and walks with me gets me up and moving each day. He has a plan for my life and a road for me to travel. I need to travel it with the right attitude, that’s what He asks of me. Easy to do when you know the one leading and you trust Him.
Have a Merry Christmas! Enjoy your son home, it’s a blessing. My daughter is doing Youth with a Mission and came home two weeks ago, she leaves on Christmas Day to go back to Kentucky then off to Southeast Asia for 6 weeks.
Blessing
Judy

Linda said...

{{{grinning}}} Wishing you a beautiful, warm and safe Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

This is a blessed post! I had to tell you, got me "RIGHT THERE"! i ONCE COMMENTED TO YOU ABOUT OUR WASHER REPAIRMAN Issac (who mention that he knew another large family through his church). And I said, does she have a blog and then... well, amazing coincidences!!thanks for this!