summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, December 12, 2022

winter visited...

 

Miss Charlotte Claire got to drive home from church today, first time driving in the snow!  The roads were actually quite clear in the afternoon.
Char running Legit Coffee...where you can get a pour-over, and something yummy...
I made peanut butter fudge and the cookies...Margaret made the chocolate mint brownies, I made buttercream frosting, and melted chocolate and added peppermint, to drizzle on the top, over the chunks of York Peppermint Patties, topped with an Andes Candies mint...
Four of my girls practicing their instruments...Emily (our oldest), Camille (the youngest), Margaret, and Evelyn...
The foyer at church...

Wulf and Tennyson came for a visit on Saturday, and brought all their energy with them. I helped them make a pile of pillows to jump into...
Wulf!   I thought the game would last until one of them got hurt, but they are very good jumpers, didn't land on each other, and didn't get hurt at all.
I made them a snack, along with crackers and raspberry jam.
Cookies!



Our countdown calendar...we've had it for YEARS.

Emily came over this fine evening...we had a snack-y type dinner:  chicken wings, chicken nuggets in the air fryer, egg rolls, barbecued meat balls, scrambled eggs (Paul!), sliced peppers, baby cucumber slices, grapes, and orange slices.   We talked about activity club, and the Christmas celebration for the church this weekend, and about the New Year's gathering.  We laughed our heads off at silly things, and solved the world's problems.  

Now it's Monday morning, and it's quiet.  The pups have been outside, fed and watered, and are smiling happily.  Kathryn is going out and about this morning, and asked me if I would like to accompany.  Of course I would!  Seriously, taking small children out on cold snowy day by oneself is challenging...I know from experience that having one extra set of hands makes a world of difference...one diaper change can be a major feat when you're alone and outnumbered by small people.  

Most of my Christmas shopping is done, but I still have a few people to buy for.  I start to get all miserable inside around now, because I want to make sure I give all of my kids nice gifts.  Then of course their spouses too...I do have most of them covered, and now Jon is coming home too...I have these horrible thoughts that they'll all be here and I'm passing out presents, and oops, Ben, I didn't get you anything!  We all know it's the thought that counts, and imagine being that son, and you weren't thought of.  

I made this incredibly easy peanut butter fudge the other day, I tasted a few crumbs and oh dear it's good.  It's a recipe from Barefeet in the Kitchen:
f

Simply melt the butter in a saucepan, add the peanut butter and vanilla (I put it in all at the same time), when it's all melted, and stirred up, add the sugar a bit at a time while stirring....I dumped it all in, stirred until smooth, and put it in a 9x9 pan lined with parchment, wrapped it up tightly, and into the refrigerator.  Four hours is the suggested time for setting.  It was so easy to just lift that parchment out of the pan and cut it into perfect little squares.  I liked the recipe because it was so easy, and it turned out good.  I've had a few fails with peanut butter fudge, when it tasted terrific but didn't actually turn to fudge.

I think it would make a really good base for homemade peanut butter cups...this time of year is hard when you're a love of all things sweet and savory.  


Ah well...have a really good day, and don't let life stress you out.  Enjoy the moments.  
This is what was my Facebook memory for the day:
It says, "so much to do, so little time, but as Mariel just said, "We need to hug these little girls while they are still little."  Profound.  Now those little girls are 15 and 16....and Sonja is twenty!  Life truly breezes by...



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of forgetting someone. I once booked my family on flights for vacation. If I included all of us in the same reservation, the price for each skyrocketed. I checked how much it was for one less and the price was significantly lower per ticket. My plan had been to book 5 tickets at the lower price and get my son a separate ticket at the higher price. I realized when we were checking in that I never went back and booked his ticket. Mom fail :-( I ended up having to use mileage and the only seat left to buy was in first. I felt so bad but at least he had a nice flight.
Everything looks so Christmas and cozy chez vous.
Happy Holidays!
Carrie in Seattle

16 blessings'mom said...

Carrie, that's good you had points, oh my. I hope you told him you booked him in first because he's your favorite...:).

Mari said...

Hooray for Charlotte!
Your church is pretty - I love those windows.
Your baking looks great! I follow Barefoot in the Kitchen also - good recipes!

Terri D said...

That fudge looks and sounds yummy... and easy to do! Thanks!! I see snow on the ground looking through the windows in your photos. Brrrrrr. I'm chilly when it gets into the 60s here. Can't handle the deep cold anymore. Blessings!

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, I strongly dislike being the passenger/driving instructor with a new driver...Miss Char is our fifteenth driver and you'd think it'd get easier. She's doing better though, sometimes I almost forget to be terrified!
Terri, I'm finding the cold harder to handle, but we're not moving to Florida, so I have to suck it up, ha. It was 12 this morning. 12.