summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, August 31, 2026

here I am again...back from the beach!

 Oh, it's hard to wake up on the last day of camping and know you have to move it and pack it all up to go home.  If it were up to me, we would take it more leisurely, but Mr. Paul, well, he likes to get on home.  It didn't help that yesterday morning it was spitting rain, threatening a downpour.  We had Wulf and Tennyson in our camper with us (their mama and daddy were in their tent with little Blythe).   

I like to wake up on a camping morning, and have my coffee in bed, if Paul makes me one, and he always will.  My camping bed:  I have the whole foam mattress pad folded in half on my side because he doesn't like a squishy bed.  I bring nice crisp white sheets, and a duvet with a wonderful cotton cover.  Even if I get out of bed and have my coffee, I do enjoy it way more than anyplace else.  This campsite we had was right on the water, right in view of Lake America:).   

Being able to slip on the swimsuit and walk over for a swim anytime:  luxury.  I am SO thankful for state parks!  It's so affordable, so glad the land was sold to the state, it was set aside for regular people to enjoy.  We like to drive around and gawk at the rich people's houses and camps, in Henderson Harbor, for example.  Even forty or fifty years ago, regular people could have a camp there, but the taxes!  Around the Finger Lakes it's the same thing...rich people buy it all up.  So yay for the state parks!  (and don't get me started on the town boards across the country making it illegal for people to Airbnb their properties, trying to keep the riff raff out!  For some of us, it's a way to experience and area we wouldn't otherwise be able to!). Anyway.

I'm reading a book, The Daughters of Mars, by Thomas Keneally (he wrote Schindler's List), about Australian sisters in World War One, who were nurses...Emily read it first and let me borrow it, there's nothing like reading a good book and having someone to talk to about it.  So when we had rainy weather camping, I couldn't be happier, sitting on my comfy bed with my book.

Now we're home, the washing machine is humming.  All of our bedding is in from the camper for the season, taking turns going through.  Then a certain yellow Lab decided to nap on our bed while I was at the pool this morning, and she piddled!  So my big nice comforter and sheets:  into the washing machine, it got ahead of the other loads, skipped the line.  The bedroom door is closed now, bad doggie.  :)

The pool was wonderful.  We're scrambling now for a class leader, now that Rich is gone.  Three of us are going to take turns, and I don't want a turn, but no one else wants to do it.  I know I'll get yakking and lose track, so I'll have to issue a disclaimer, and ask for help to keep on track.  As long as we're moving, it's all good, but it is nice to do all the different exercises.  

Camille and I looked at house plans last evening...trying to plan our little in-law house, if it actually happens.  The thought of selling this huge place pains me, it's home, and I've had so many dreams through the years of moving away, and missing this house.  I do feel comfortable and at home in Emily's house, so I think living in their back yard will be warm and homey, but it'll still be hard.  

It's cool and rainy today, very cozy and seriously autumn-like, it was only 67 when I got in my car after the pool.  Of course I didn't bring a rain coat, and got soaked, turned the heat on!  

My plan is to get the house cleaned out little by little.  Then, whatever we decide to do, at least that will be done.  It's easier to plan than to actually do, but I saw a video of someone doing a clean out, and they used dark trash bags for donations, and light ones for garbage, I thought that was a great idea.  

We have SO many books in this house.  I grew up with:  books are sacred, to be revered, and treated with respect.  I have come to understand that we do not have to own all the books.  There are libraries.  I will ask the kids to come and take whatever books they want, as they are the ones who owned most of them, but the rest will be donated to the thrift stores.  Children's books are different, it's nice to have a lot of really good ones.  

I am more of a buyer than a seller, on Marketplace, so ha, I have too much stuff.  It's not like hoarding or anything, but there are a lot of toys that I've held on to because:  I love toys.  I got rid of all the Fisher Price Little People sets, but still have the Loving Family dollhouses and bins of dollhouse stuff.  We have Waffleblocks, and toy strollers and shopping carts, and Legos and Duplos and race car tracks and Barbie bins....ride ons and trucks and tractors...the toy kitchen and all the stuff with that...I will be going through it and downsizing it all. 

My plan for holiday decorations:  when I put the summer stuff away and bring out the autumn stuff, I'll get rid of some of it...then same with the autumn...Christmas stuff I need to be radical with, there is too much of it.  

Baby stuff:  I have an Emmaljunga carriage, an Emmaljunga double stroller, a high chair (which I'm always pushing, can't wrap my head around not using it when feeding a busy crawler or new toddler!), booster seats, walker, baby seat, plug in cradle bed, pack and play...it's all useful for when the grandkids need it, and I won't hurry to downsize those things, but there might come a time...

Less is more.  Too bad whenever I get rid of things, next thing I know I need them.  :)

Also too bad I like to go shopping.  

Today, for example, I was trying really hard to psyche myself out to clean out the laundry room.  I'm thinking to go room by room and get rid of stuff.  Well, good thing for me, saved by the bell, Sonja texted and asked if I want to do anything.  Yes, I'll do anything!  :). 

I love organization, I adore it, admire it, long for it.  I clean things out and love it, but I can't seem to keep it organized.  Good thing I never give up trying, I will always vow it's gonna stay nice like this forever!  If it weren't for that very likely false optimism, what kind of gosh-forsaken heck hole (Marge Simpson) would I be living in?  

So my washer and dryer are humming, the sink is cleared of dishes, I have puttered and here I am in my chair, waiting to decide what to do with Sonja and little Miss Kaia....you all have a good day! 

No comments: