summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

half price at the thrift store....

Emily once said, "What's better than buying a box of Aldi brand Triscuits? Getting them 2 for a dollar at the dollar store!" Real Deals is a local dollar store, and they really do have real deals. Bags of Ghiardelli chocolate chips...for a dollar. Anyway. Today, the thrift store, with the Wednesday special of all the tag colors except one, for 50% off. Yay! I got Nike shorts for Jon for $2, and some books for summer reading for Jon and the little girls.

I did not know how today would turn out. I did not know if I would be heading to Georgia...and I am not heading to Georgia. Sam still did not pass the push-up portion of his PT test, so he is getting a huge break, and getting sent to a fitness program to help. He is the only one to get to go, the other guys who didn't pass are getting sent home. That's because he passed the other things so well, he said, the running and the sit-ups. So he will graduate...next week? The week after? Time will tell. I told him to just go with it, and be glad he is getting paid all this time, it's better than weedeating at the school in the heat, like he did for the past few summers.

Honestly, though, I do hurt for him. He is so ready to just get out of there and come home for his leave.

Anyway. Emily stopped over today on her way to do the food shopping for her cousin Claire's wedding, which is this Saturday. Claire is my sister's daughter (one of her seven daughters). She went to Australia for a year, and met Mr. Right, and got engaged. He lives there, so she is staying there, but they are here for their wedding. It is sad, because it is SO far away, but it is happy because she is so happy, and her fiance is such a good guy. Emily is making the food for their wedding, and I helped her shop today. We went to the grocery store, the warehouse club, the thrift store, the dollar store. And of course for a coffee at Dunkin Donuts. No donuts though:)

I was SO ready to go to Georgia. I had the girls' school clothes out for the next few days, plans for their lunches, clothes out for them to wear to the wedding in case I didn't make it back in time. Now, I am not going, and it seems so weird. I don't really like weddings, but am glad I get to go to Claire's. Those girls grew up with my older kids, and were like my own kids to me. They shared my younger kids with my kids, you know, they were like big sisters to them. Claire is the fifth of the seven girls to get married!

Sunday we had huge plans for a family gathering here since Sam would be here, now he won't, but we will still get together. Things will work out fine, he will get home one of these days, why do I have to know all the details now?

The little girls need their after school snack, and I want to take them in the pool.

Oh, I bought a new vacuum cleaner yesterday. I hated spending $72 on it, because Eureka's suck, ha. get it? We have gone through so many cheap vacuums through the years. The Dyson lasted for a long time but the hose is broken, I have to order a new one, in the mean time, we need to vacuum here. The new Dyson was $299, just couldn't do it. I put that Eureka in the cart and thought, "First world probs..."

Anyway, the girls are home from school and want Mama.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been checking your blog since noon my time to see if Sam passed, I've been praying for him.
I know what it's like for child to want something so badly. Obviously the Army knows how hard Sam has been working and know he deserves this extra chance.

I don't like weddings either I have one to go to next Friday. My youngest daughter is getting married;).

16 blessings'mom said...

Congrats! That doesn't sound too bad:) And thank you for praying for Sam, I really appreciate that.

mommeeof10 said...

I like Aldi's. The nearest one is 17 miles from my house, so I only go there if I have to be in that area anyway.

16 blessings'mom said...

I like Aldi's too. When it first opened in our area, I was skeptical, tried a few things and didn't think the quality was there, but I have changed my mind. The produce, and dairy are good, and sometimes the meat specials, too. I also like the seasonal candy, when they have the exclusive stuff from Germany. Oh yeah, it all comes back to the chocolate. The bars they regularly have for 99 cents with the individual pieces....yummers.

16 blessings'mom said...

The closer Aldi's is probably 17 miles from here. It's nice to live out in the country, but stores are rather far, except for the small one in town. And now "town" has a Dunkin Donuts, an Arby's/Tim Horton's. Suburbia had better not creep out here!

Renae said...

I'm from Sydney, Australia & love reading your blog, bee doing so the last 4 years. Lovely to her of a relative marrying an Aussie.