summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 8, 2014

and a sunny monday morning it is....

As nice as an occasional walk with another person is nice, walking alone is conducive to really good thinking. Sometimes I pray for my friends and family, sometimes I give myself pep talks about staying away from sugar, sometimes I clean whole rooms in my head and figure out where to put things. Sometimes I just breathe, and try to clear my mind from the barrage of little things I know I have to do.

I'm glad I didn't listen to myself and just skip that walk this morning. I swear, I am my worst enemy when it comes to these things. My excuse this morning: I don't want to go for a walk in these ridiculous capris! Now, they ARE silly, these sweatpants of mine. They go to between the knee and ankle, but they are loose at the bottom, not fitted, so they look just bum-y. They are Adidas, black with these three 80's looking stripes down the sides. Paul asked me one time why I had Adidas pants. Because duh, they were three dollars at the thrift store!

I am not one to wander into Walmart in my jammies, nor do I go shopping in sweatpants. Even if I go pick someone up from school or drop a kid off at a friend's house, I change into presentable clothes. Perhaps I have a deep seated paranoia that if I dress slobby, I will be certain to get into an accident. (We already know that kids get hurt and have to go to the E.R. when my hair needs a wash, ha.) The other night, I actually went to Emily/Abigail/Mali's house in these capris and my new doggy t-shirt from my mother-in-law. I do like the t-shirt, it's comfy and cute, but overall, I am not a t-shirt girl. Anyway, I don't usually leave the house in my Around The House clothes.

Off On A Tangent, I am too good at that game.

My point was that it doesn't take much for me to talk myself out of my morning walk, for some reason. I enjoy it, but getting myself to do it is a daily struggle.

Same with eating right and making good choices. It will ALWAYS be a battle for me.

Saturday I worked at a bake sale for church. It wasn't the pies and cookies and cinnamon buns on our table that just about killed me. It was the stand that made freshly fried donuts. From the fryer to the cinnamon and sugar, to the customer. The smell, oh the heavenly aroma...and the bad thing? They tasted just as good as they smelled. It was my lunch, okay? One donut. Just one. I also bought a chocolate chip cookie and a cinnamon bun from our table, but only tasted them, and I do mean just one small bite, and gave the rest to Sonja K. and Irene, who were helping at the bake sale. That donut, not a good lunch, but oh so yum.

Yesterday, Abigail and Jonathan were working at that bake sale. It was at a harvest festival, and I had decided to take the little girls there after church, leaving the older ones at soccer practice, ect.

Jonathan and I waited in the long line for more donuts, I had only one, and it was my lunch, again. I passed the other ones out, and gave the remaining few away to a friend...:) Anyway, we had fun at the festival, especially at the petting zoo. There were puppies at that petting zoo. They looked like yellow labs, but were a creamy white color, and were absolutely adorable. The kids were allowed to go right into the pen with them, and of course mine did. They just played and played with those puppies. Jonathan asked the owners how much the puppies were, and yeah, $500. It was so funny though, Jon and Char and Camille were standing there adding up how much money they had and trying to figure out if they had enough. They came up with under two hundred, and asked me if I could pitch in the rest. Oh you guys, we aren't getting one of those puppies. I should have stopped them right away, but they were hysterically cute trying to figure out if they could buy one. At one point Jon said, "Wait, we don't have our money with us. Abigail, do you have some we could borrow for now?" Um, no.

So I brought them in the food tent and bought them a slice of pizza.

We stopped at the store on the way home for some apples and bananas and chicken and eggs and bread.

Then we stopped for ice cream, and yeah, I had one. It was pumpkin! Soft pumpkin ice cream. Need I say more?

But today is Monday, a new day, a new week, and I am going to behave.

Today I have bills to pay and kids to teach and things to clean up and things to organize. It is still quiet here, but soon it will be busy and loud and crazy.

No comments: