summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, September 25, 2014

excellent!!!!!!!

Evelyn and I went on our date!!!! Okay, I felt bad that Grandma couldn't go and enjoy her birthday present from her daughter, but...Evelyn and I went, and oh my goodness it was good.

We drove downtown and found a parking garage, then walked around looking for a place to eat. We decided on a place that just happened to have Happy Hour specials, so we had these burgers...to almost die for. The buns were toasted, they had fresh spinach and tomato slices, and came with just we needed, mountains of fries. We had ice water to drink, and um, the bill came to only $12.96. We ate outside in the lovely evening weather, and did I say the burgers were delicious? Neither of us could even begin to finish them.

While we ate, Aaron, Kathryn, Suzanne, and Sonja came by to visit us. Aaron lives downtown, and was taking some of his sisters on an outing. They had gone for ice cream:) Evelyn was texting him, and they realized they were only a few blocks away. Anyway, they talked for a bit, then went on their way while we ate our dinner. The ladies from the table down a bit from us were a bit yakky and a bit nosey, so one of them asked Evelyn and I if we were sisters or mother and daughter. We looked at each other and started laughing, because Evelyn is 15 and I am 49. Anyway, when they found out that Aaron, Kap, Suze, and Sonja were my kids too, they couldn't believe it. They insisted I was too young to have all those kids. Again, Ev and I just looked at each other. Then Evelyn said, "I have 15 siblings, actually." They were stunned. One said, "You haven't given birth all those times, have you?!" Anyway, it was an interesting conversation. They apologized for interrogating me, I said I didn't mind at all, and one of them gave me her card in case I ever get a speeding ticket, because she is a lawyer:)

So...we walked toward the theater, and took a little pit-stop at Starbucks, for pumpkin spice lattes. Then...to the show! The director was outside introducing himself and shaking hands, and we felt important. The place is absolutely gorgeous, it's showy chandeliers and raised wood paneling remind one of the Titanic. Our seats were right down near the front, and let me tell you, it was a good show! It was Disney's "Beauty And The Beast". Gaston was hilarious and despicable, Belle was lovely and sang her little heart out, it was funny and sweet and it swept us away. It was so full of energy, the belting out of those musical numbers. There was pure talent there on that stage! We totally and absolutely loved it, and joined heartily in the standing ovation.

And, since it is almost one in the morning, I should be getting to bed:) Sometimes it's hard to sleep when you've had such a lovely evening. (Evelyn is a blessing, she is so funny and appreciative and was a totally good companion to go downtown with.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those women are right. I just marvel at how young you look!

16 blessings'mom said...

Well thank you! Right now I am putting my feet up after a busy day, and let me tell you, I don't feel young!

Michelle said...

Sounds like fun! Evelyn will never forget that special time with you. My favorite memories growing up are those times I got to spend with just my mom or dad and me. Even typical things like shopping for school clothes at the mall and lunch at chik fil a with my mom, or tagging along with my dad at work (plumber), I remember those times as special. So glad you got to enjoy the dinner and show:)

And I must agree, you do look much younger than you are. You have a radiance about you and your love for your family really shows.

16 blessings'mom said...

Michelle, you are too kind:) One on one time is very special, around here even two or three on one time is pretty nice. I just got back from the pool with the younger three, they absolutely love having all my attention.