summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, December 5, 2014

all packed up and ready to go!

I have to get up at four in the morning to go the airport. Or should I say I "get" to. I am overly excited, my stomach is all funky, and I can't string two thoughts together in a row. I finally decided what to wear on the flight...and believe me, how I look isn't factoring in to the decision. My only jeans that I wear all of the time are fine to wear all of the time, but sitting in them for too long cuts into my tummy, I am embarrassed to report. So I am wearing a pair of leggings and a stretchy dress. With my oversized sweater, and the battered up black and white geometric print bag Margaret is letting me use to put my laptop and purse in, I will sport the bag lady look.

Today, I went out and about with Abigail, my 27 year old daughter. Here's what we did:

1. Abigail's bank. She closed a savings account because she was getting billed a monthly fee.

2. My bank, where I deposited a few checks for Margaret, and got out some money.

3. A store, which I shall not name, in case any Christmas snoopers are reading this, to return something.

4. The department of Motor Vehicles to turn in the license plates from the smashed up car.

5. Kohl's to redeem Abigail's Kohl's cash. I got a $4 shirt, which I love, and a gift for my great niece who turned 12 this week.

6. To the mall. A different mall than yesterday. blah, two malls in two days. I got one gift, for Mirielle.

7. To Aldi, for yogurt and sweet potatoes and cat food and cheese and spinach and apples, and half-half.

8. To the insurance agency to turn in the paper that proved I turned in the plates.

9. To the drugstore to fill a prescription, and buy some adorable Christmas candy for the gingerbread houses I decided not to make this evening.



Home, ah home. I made meatballs, and washed bedding, and cleaned up, and packed, and ordered some really cool gifts online.

I am almost done with my shopping, thankfully. I want to get something for Anya while I am out in Washington, so I don't have to send it.

I can't wait to see her. I want her to like me. It's sad to me that I love her to pieces and she has no idea that I exist. I finally get to be Grammy! I want the part where eyes light up when I come into the room, where arms open wide to be scooped up! She may be far far away from me, but I certainly hope to visit often enough that she will know me, as she grows up. I never paid much attention to when people lamented about having grandchildren in another state (or country!)...now I realize how it is.

But as with a few other things in this world, it isn't all about me. They like where they are, Benjamin has a good job, and they have friends there.

So today, Joseph took the three youngest ice skating. I was happy for them, and happy that I was going out and about with Abigail, and excited about my trip, so when I was showering Camille, I was singing happy songs very loudly. I asked the girls if they were excited about skating. Cam was, but Char said no, she wasn't. Sometimes she just likes to act a little bit teenager-ish. I told her she should be excited for every day, whether she stays home or goes fun places. Camille thought about that for a while and said, "Well, I think we should be happy and thankful for every day, but to be excited is more for special things." Camille likes to talk about which words work better, and what words mean. She just asked me if "trust", and "believe" mean the same thing.

And, it's time to get these kids tucked in...I don't think I'll sleep tonight, but I don't want them to be tired and grumpy....

No comments: