summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

two posts in one day?!

This lady must have some time on her hands!

Well. This lady has had an unusual day.

Breakfast with Aaron at the hotel buffet. The scrambled eggs were...so-so. The hashbrowns...potato-y and soggy, but not bad with salt and pepper, but not healthy, either. I walked right by the Belgium waffle maker, yum, but no. I did raid the waffle toppings however, and made myself a little yogurt parfait with strawberries and granola. I took a mini lemon poppyseed muffin, and put some peanut butter on the first bite, but it was not the freshest, so why waste the calories? I got an apple instead, and with peanut butter, yum. I took an orange for later, and sipped my coffee...Aaron approved of the coffee, and he is a member of the Finer Things Club, so it must be good coffee.

So I spent time on my computer, then went down for a swim. I was the only one in the pool. :) I was also the only one in the hot tub afterwards.

I came back and showered, and made a cup of coffee, love that there is a Keurig in here. I made a cup of decaf tea, and added a slice of the orange I took from the breakfast buffet, then ate the orange with some of the dark chocolate I bought at Ikea. Sorry kids, I did mean to bring that home. But hungry is hungry. And oranges and chocolate, well, you know.

I checked my phone, which I didn't take to the pool with me, and there were TEN missed calls from home. And a text that read, Please pick up the phone. Now, we all know that accidents happen, and since an accident did happen just last week, it isn't too far from Mom's consciousness, especially when she's far far away. So I sort of freaked, thinking something bad happened. Nope. I called, and Evelyn answered. After she got done chastising me for not answering my phone, I asked her what on earth was the matter. Nothing much, she said. Kathryn just had questions about how to cook the chicken. rrr. But, she said, What if there WAS an emergency, and Mom didn't pick up her phone?! So there you have it. I can be two thousand miles away from home, across the whole country away, but I still have to Be There.:)

Now as I sit here sipping my hot orange tea, I am thinking about things. One thing I am thinking about is my husband. He is in Florida. I am in Washington. We are on opposite corners of the country. Back a few months ago, I was in Washington D.C., and he was in France. I guess we both travel a lot.

Anyway, I miss him. I don't ever want to fall into complaining about his job, because I am thankful he has a good job. He also likes it, which is a bonus. I don't know exactly what he does, but he fixes computer issues, helps set up new systems. He seems to be good at it, too. He is gone a lot, and I miss him. But the good part in that is....he comes back home. And when the days pass and it gets closer to Daddy's Coming Home, the anticipation of seeing him again kicks in more and more. It's always SO good to see him.

This time, he will get home, and I won't be there yet. I don't get back to New York until late Friday night/early Saturday morning. He gets there tomorrow night. So this time, technically, it will be him waiting for Mommy to come home:)

Surprise of all surprises, I seriously miss my kids. Having time away is nice, but it is Christmas time, and I can't wait to see them, and the tree, and there are all those Target things I have to bring back. Jon says they are stacking them all up when they arrive. Suzanne needs to go shopping for her secret Santa gift, and I am looking forward to that. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying my visit out here too. I tried to explain to Suzanne on the phone this afternoon that having a lot of kids is like the parable of the lost sheep. Jesus left the other 99 to find the lost one. I love each and every one of my kids. And, absence makes the heart grow fonder, because the heart tends to forget those little annoyances, like perhaps talking back or the avalanche of questions and the needs that all need to be met right NOW. The messes and the sweeping and the laundry, I don't miss it at all, but believe me, I feel immense gratitude for my kids who are taking up the slack right now and doing it all.

Or, perhaps they aren't doing it all and when I get home, I can play Catch Up, my very unfavorite-ist game when I get home from a trip.

Ah well, Aaron is on his way back from Seattle, and we are going over to spend some time with Ben and Ashley and Anya....

No comments: