summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, December 11, 2015

never a dull moment #emergencyroom


The day was going along just fine...we had finished lunch and were planning on going for a walk to enjoy the unseasonably mild weather. The kids went out to the trampoline...the trampoline that Paul did not want. Remember when I brought it home? How thrilled he wasn't? I had forgotten how much he hated our old trampoline. He said I should have talked to him about it first, and he's right, I should have. But I wasn't thinking (it was on sale, I paid for it, and was rather proud of myself that we put it together all by ourselves) I knew, just knew that something would happen... so it was no big surprise to me when I heard that distinct cry...the one every mom knows...the one that isn't just a No Fair It Was My Turn. It was that I'm Hurt cry. I ran out the front door with Kathryn, took one look at Camille's ankle, already swollen up, and said, "We're going to the hospital, she broke her ankle."



But Cam is a sweetie...she took the whole thing quite well...


And you know Paul, he's not one to hold a grudge...the whole thing is rather humorous, except for the fact that Camille is lying on the couch with her crutches leaning against it...

We ARE getting rid of the trampoline though.

Anyway...was we waited for the results of the x-rays, Kathryn and Camille started in about McDonalds. We were there for three hours, waiting in that room, so they had lots of time to look forward to nuggets and milkshakes. Cam's going to want to break her ankle more often, she got a large chocolate milkshake...that's not on the dollar menu.

Anyway you moms out there, keep your hair clean, and your gas tank full, if you have kids because you never know when you'll end up in the emergency room....

9 comments:

Lisa said...

eegads, that looks terrible! We have a trampoline that's getting to be in rather poor condition now (our 2nd one in 20 yrs) and I keep saying we'll take it down "next year". Maybe I better do it sooner rather than later.

What a sweet disposition your baby girl has - I'm sure that shake helped tremendously :)

terre said...

wow - that ankle picture. OMG!!!!!! is it gonna need surgery? poor baby...sending healing wishes to her. yup...there goes that trampoline....

Martha said...

I actually laughed at the last paragraph. You've been giving that advice ever since I started reading your blog.

We had to take our trampoline down when Allstate came around taking pictures. We didn't have a net around it.

I hope Camille feels better soon!

Marilyn said...

Oh no!!!! Poor little thing :-( What an awful thing to happen. Is it in a cast already? Sometimes they wait for some of the swelling to go down. I guess we can't protect them from everything. My daughter is an RN in the emergency room and said they get lots of trampoline accidents in the summer, some really nasty ones. But you know kids and they are just having fun. My daughter wouldn't get one for her kids even though they begged. They are boys.........need I say more.......rough and ready boys. Always wrestling etc and knew that and a tramp was a recipe for disaster😂 Cam will just have to sit and be waited on for a few days. What a bummer right before Christmas too. Oh dear........I'm so sorry this happened.

Marilyn from Canada

Simone said...

Oh poor girl, how painful! But what a sweetie with her smile still on her little face!
Sending best wishes!

Simone

Susan said...

Ohhh...Camille, that ankle looks very painful. I was happy to see that you were able to smile while you were still in the ER-I am impressed by your bravery!

Marilyn said...

I have been thinking about your little Camille and praying she is doing well. She is sure a trooper and the fact she was able to smile is just amazing ☺️

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

Excellent advice...clean hair, full tank! It always happens when one looks like a rag bag. You look like you were prepared though!

Piper Paradise said...

We were totally getting our kids a trampoline for Christmas. Uh - oh.... Maybe not. Great advice! I hate getting gas and usually let it go until the light comes on. Quick healing to little miss!!