summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

marriage...and the morning paper...

First of all, let me say this: here in central New York state, we are experiencing lovely weather...cool sunshine this morning, but warming to the high eighties today...in what the weather people are saying is the last warm day...the last day of summer weather. It will only reach the low seventies tomorrow, and be very chilly at night...and even if we do get another warm spell next week sometime, the pool will be icecubes. So...after today, we are closing the pool. It went by too too fast.

Marriage...oh the fun and romance...Margaret and Adrian are planning a December wedding, although the date isn't yet official. To them, I'm sure it sounds like all sunshine and rainbows, and I'm sure it will be, until the trials start. Love isn't enough, despite all the wonderful songs that assure us that it is. Two people, with their own unique personalities, attempting to live together in harmony, will butt heads. They will hurt each other's feelings, and they will not always want to attend the same events. They will have different ideas of how to spend money, and one will probably be slobbier than the other. Here's where, in my humble opinion, it's valuable to be able to hear what the bible has to say...that "we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places..." (Ephesians 6:12)...in other words, MY thoughts...my sin. It's no different than anything else in life really. You can wear yourself out trying to change things to suit you, but ultimately, when you decide not to return evil for evil...not to argue over every little thing...when you decide to forgive and forget, to be good when you are sorely sorely tempted to lash out...then you have to battle your OWN sinful nature. I'm sure there are compatible people out there who never once have to humble themselves to get along and love each other for years on end, and yay for them.

Anyway. It's worth it. I know when I have my trials, when I have those awful thoughts hovering around in my head, and I feel so done with everything, yet by the grace of God I don't harden my heart and give up...I am so thankful.

The morning paper: It's becoming obsolete...in my world anyway. We only get the Sunday paper, for the coupons and the ads. I read the news online. And not until the puppy is all tired out from playing and going outside countless times in the morning...she settles down, I get to sit down and read the news.

We did our school work in the afternoon yesterday, as we had a last minute dentist appointment for Jonathan. Of course we were out, so we went to the store for fresh produce, half and half, light bulbs, and cheese...and lots of other stuff...then to the dollar store for more puppy toys. She's very bite-y, so it's nice to have lots of toys to offer her.

The house is quieter today. Margaret started work today, Kathryn is working today, Abigail started work yesterday...she doesn't live here though.

Warm sunny weather...perhaps we'll go on a field trip somewhere and enjoy it. I LOVE homeschooling. Honestly, having so many older kids...it's like 13 adults and three little kids...(the five-girls-in-a-row are 19, 18, 17, 15, and 14)...so when I have all this time with the younger three without the older ones, they open up and blossom and are like sunshines...so interested in everything, so willing to listen and learn and explore...they have my attention, and I have theirs. I love it.

No comments: