summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, May 6, 2024

back in the door and back out it again...

...I'm heading to the pool soon, Jon has three friends here from the Netherlands who are heading out this morning to go to D.C. and Gettysburg, then back home.  They're planning a nice brekky together before they head out, so I put cinnamon buns in the oven.  Well, the oven turned off.  It truly is Always Something.  I thought I'd smartly put a few in the air fryer, but can you believe, it needed to be washed?  I did wash it, but the fuse seems to have blown in that corner of the kitchen, the fusebox is in one of the rooms that one of the Dutch boys is sleeping in, so I did wake up Jonny.  Turns out it is just the outlet, needs to be replaced.  

I'm home from the pool now, and have puttered the day away.  There are not bulbs planted and plants watered and things straightened, and shh, I talked to my sister while sitting in the sun on the deck.  She's home from Australia, and had an excellent visit there.  She's thankful for the prayers, the traveling went better than she could have expected...not without it's discomforts, of course, but she felt a real blessing over it all.  

Charlotte Claire needs to be picked up at school in a bit, she had an AP chemistry final today and it went longer than the school day, so no bus ride home.  (Went there to pick her up, am home now...)

The new camper continues to amaze me.  I just really like it.  Paul so nicely took the ugly covers off the top of one of the windows for me last evening, turns out the blinds are attached to it.  The blinds are really nice and in good shape, but I cannot have one without the other, and I do not want those window cornices. Why do trailer manufacturer-interior-designers have such yucky-blucky taste?  A bit too much brown, okay, but those things over the windows?  Why are those standard?  

So now I'm mulling my choices...take the whole thing down and get rid of perfectly good blinds, which goes against everything in my frugal penny pinching body, or keep them lock, stock, and barrel.  Paul suggested I just recover the ugly cornice, I cannot.  It's just...ugly.  

Since I'm too lazy to go out there and take a picture, I'll reuse this one from the other day...see that thing over the window in the background?  The edge is brown vinyl...ugh.  The printed part is the same fabric as the dinette seats.  

So I'm going to take them off, and put up either little black curtain rods and some khaki colored curtains with black circle clips, or just hang some plain shades.  I'm actually leaning towards shades.  New covers for the dinette seats too, just ones that go on over that can come off to wash...but the brown couch is nice and comfy, it feels like leather so it will stay...the walls:  I'll take off the hideous wallpaper borders, and paint the walls just white.  The cabinets will stay brown, but maybe get new handles.  I'm thinking to put stick on tiles behind the stove and sink, too...right now it's wallpaper printed with tiles....  

Actually jumping in and tearing things out and redoing it is always scary, but that's why people do it, I guess, the fun of the "after".  It's like mountain climbing for lame people.  Also, that penny pinching thrill of "how nice can I make it for next to nothing..."

The sewing machine isn't coming out today though, nor is the paint.  Tomorrow morning I have a doctor's appointment for Camille, then we'll get the camper registered, then into Walmart for some fabric...maybe...and the cleaner to remove the wallpaper borders.  

Paul invited some friends over for dinner on Wednesday, so I'll have to be conscious to leave time to clean up and make something good.  I have no meal plan for the week yet, but tonight I'm thinking to make taco salad, because we have the stuff for it.  


I did end up wandering out there with my measuring tape...nice blinds would be pricey, the windows are wide.  Those things are just so ugly though:)


Our chilly vacation...
That is indeed an Acme market behind our airbnb.
With Sonja on the beach, my hair was up in a clip...blowing forward.


Emily
Sonja and Cam

The beach at night
The grocery store birthday cake

The comfiest balcony furniture, perfect for the morning coffee
The cafe across the way, Miss Camille
Miss Charlotte Claire
Abigail...oh, it was so nice to spend time with my second oldest!  
The pool we didn't use...
The sun, when we were packing up to go home...of course!

Ah well...time to make the dinner!  Have a good evening...hope you enjoyed the all day blog post!


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your husband; just find a clever way to cover the cornices. The camper isn’t your residence, it’s just for rest and relaxation. Things go much better for me when I listen to my husband.����‍�� God bless you with wisdom and joy as you begin to redecorate and use your new camper.

16 blessings'mom said...

Yes, I do know what you mean, but my husband 100% doesn't really care about those window coverings, he will help me because he knows I care, but whatever I do, he'll be fine with. There is a vision I have with this camper, and the windows need to be more exposed, more open, because when we're camping I need to see trees, woods, and up on Lake Ontario, the water. :). Thank you, I am actually enjoying the whole process, and I think it will be such a blessing to have a working camper again.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

I’m not sure if my messages are going through so this is a test!!

Your camper is just lovely and you will have it beautiful. I agree about seeing trees and water etc.

Your little getaway looks great too. So nice for hot to see Abigail too 🥰

Have a great day 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦