summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, July 31, 2026

We two do have fun!

 Last night, we went out to eat spontaneously.  And, I do mean "out"! 

Lake Ontario!  
We stopped at an iconic little place called Rudy's, and got fried haddock.  

We drove around a bit on the way home, got lost, had to cheat and use Maps.  He said, "I think I'm being too nice to you this week."  I said, Well you DID bring me to the hardware store last night!   :)

This is the table I refinished...forgot to take a proper "before" pic, the top was a dull brown but I sanded all the finish off, then added a coat of primer to the rest before I remembered that I forgot the picture, ha.
I sanded it smooth, and put several coats of poly on the top.  The legs and bottom were painted with Sherwin-Williams Biscuit cabinet and trim paint, because I still had some from doing the coffee table and the kitchen cabinets.  It's a warm creamy color.
It was a fun project, and since I was so sad to be finishing it, I painted the door from the kitchen to the deck...:). same color.  

This fine morning, I went to the pool...came home, did a second coat on both sides of the door, puttered around then sat out on the deck for a few minutes, then noticed that Kathryn had texted.  I ended up going swimming with her and the kids, and Grace and her kids.  :). I love summer, love the sunshine.  

I took a quick trip to the store on the way home, even though it was several miles out of the way.  The girls are on their way home, and I wanted to have milk and bread.  Paul has raw milk and we have low carb protein bread, but the girls like regular whole milk and regular bread:). I also got them some Oreos, Coke Zero, ground beef, salt potatoes, cherries, and a few blocks of cheese.

Home...ahh, home.  How I hate carrying everything in all by myself!  I had brought a cooler and a pool bag to the pool, added to a few bags of groceries...there are still a few six packs of Coke Zero in the back of the car.  

Paul and Mariel drove down to Newark to pick up the girls, they stayed in Norway an extra week.  
Miss Char (in the sunnies)
Camille and Charlotte Claire
Char and Cam....I stole all these pics from them.

It has been a very nice week here with just Paul.  But.  It will be so nice to have the lively girls back in the house.  

On Wednesday evening, Emily was going to stop in to drop off a few books for me, so I invited her for dinner.  I made chicken stir fry.  (Chicken breast marinated in Aldi Asian salad dressing, added some cornstarch, cooked in the iron frying pan in avocado oil...it was good, but what a mess, it stuck to the pan....I stir fried veggies in the other frying pan in some sesame oil, then stir fried up some frozen Asian cauliflower rice from Costco, in addition to the Basmati rice I made to serve it with.  Scooped in a bowl with some Aldi Orange Chicken sauce, and mmmm.). We had a nice visit with Emily, too.  

Just for the record, my "old' knee is clicking and aching.  dang.  I would like to get a few more miles out of it, I am simply not ready to go through this whole rigamorole again.  Not yet.  But.  Almost every step click!, it just isn't smooth at all.  I go in September to check the new knee...we'll see.  

We are going camping in a few weeks in the Adirondacks, then up on Lake Ontario after that.  Then summer will wrap up, all too soon...wah.

Right now, I'm bare foot in an old sundress, with Old Kitty on the arm of my chair, relaxing.  
Today one of the older guys in the pool told me I look like a marshmallow.  I don't mean white and puffy, he said, but golden and toasted.  Okay.  ?  

All right.  Not too much more to say...oh, but I am super excited, grandchild number 20 will be arriving soon, baby girl of Nate and Evelyn!  (Then Abigail and Derek's baby girl, then Kathryn and Darius' baby girl, then Margaret and Adrian's baby (they don't find out the gender))...

You all have a nice Friday night!



7 comments:

Linda said...

"Golden and toasted"--that is very nice, at least I think so...wishing you a beautiful Sat.

Terri D said...

Girls, girls, and more girls! How fun!! Maybe there will be a boy, too? You look fabulous, Della, and NOT like a marshmallow - toasted or otherwise!! LOL Thanks for the catch-up! xo

Kim Carberry said...

Oh wow! What a fab place to eat and the table looks fab! It sounds like the girls have been having a great time!
Eek! That isn't good about your knee.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So many new babies to look forward to hold and spoil! What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Do you and your family all speak Norwegian? I love languages but I find Scandanavinian ones very intimidating! Is there a lot of English spoken there?

16 blessings'mom said...

I think six of the kids speak some Norwegian, but Emily, Margaret, Jonathan, and Charlotte are fluent. Jon also learned to speak some German. I know a few written words, and can pick up some words in conversation, but that's about it.

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!! Fluency in Norwegian must be so challenging - I think fluency or close to in any second language is a great life skill to have