summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, December 10, 2010

almost home

We are in New York City, lounging around while the minutes of our five hour layover tick by. We left Punta Cana in 83 degree sunshine, arrived in New York to 28 degrees......

This is a very big airport. We went on the AirTrain, which is not lovely to me.

Yesterday we endured a huge rainstorm at the beach. It poured for about eight hours, just dumped rain. The hotel workers told us they usually don't see anything like that. Sitting in the hot tub under a Carribean rain is nice, but when the rain goes on and on....well, we did play Bingo again, Kathryn - I won you a hat. It was fun, but it wasn't hot and sunny. Then this morning, wouldn't you know, oh it was gorgeous. We packed up and got dressed and went to breakfast, then walked in the ocean for as long as we could until departure time. So yes, I left with a wet sandy jean skirt. The drive to the airport was enlightening, not that we don't already know that people in these countries live so desparately pooly, but to see it is so very sad. The amazing thing is that there are these horrible dwellings right near the luxury hotels.

Traveling is a lot of work, but I am not complaining. Going through security has been a breeze so far...just take off the shoes, put the baggie of lipstuff and deodorant in a bin with the purse, and wander through. The airport in Punta Cana is really small and adorable. It actually has a thatched roof! The plane just lands and the stairs are rolled over to the plane, and one embarks into a hot and sunny parking lot.

So Paul and I aren't sick of each other yet, that's a good thing. I do think I tend to bug him a bit though. He doesn't purposely let on, but I can tell. It's okay, because he bugs me a bit too, but just a normal bit. I still love him like crazy.

The funnest (that SHOULD be a word) part of our trip had to have been playing in the ocean. The sand was so soft, the water was soft, and so blue...that pretty aquamarine ocean blue, like on the commercials.....I don't think I took one moment of this trip for granted.

The only part I didn't like about this trip was that because we were upgraded to such a nice hotel, the people were....well, they were filthy rich, for the most part. They would dress to the nines for the evenings, some in even ball-type gowns. Glitzy and glamorous, all made up and lovely.....and well, last night I thought that I looked pretty nice IF I WERE GOING TO WALMART! (seriously, there were NO Walmart shoppers there at all....) I did pack a few dresses, but not enough for every evening...what was I thinking? I asked Paul if he felt out of place, and he didn't. He's like that. Honestly though, it didn't really detract from the trip, because it amused me. There were times I wished with all my heart that Cheryl or Kim would come wandering in....just picturing Cheryl getting served Daquiris from the waiters while she stood in the pool....not THAT would have been fun....

And the bathing suit part...oh my goodness. These people, mostly the ladies, look so nice in their suits! I am glad that I at least bought two new ones, but still...there were a few times I almost felt like crying, but then I realized that a Feeling-Sorry-For-Myself-Spirit was NOT from God. So I said NO to it. Who the heck cares, obviously Paul likes me. And my life is not in what I look like, or if I fit in with the People Magazine People. Nah, we were there to relax and spend some time together, and I had to keep that in mind....because if I gave into that spirit, I know I would have cried that day at the pool....

Forgive me for rambling, my hands have been itching to type, and here we are with hours ahead of us.....

I can't wait to see the kids, and just the thought of Rosie-The-Bad-Dog wagging her whole body in excitement to see me makes me almost cry.

Paul agreed that I have done a darn good job not talking about the wedding nonstop. He has no idea how difficult it was for me, but I decided to just not think about things like that. A vacation has to be body AND mind.

So yes, now I am going back to CHRISTMAS....parties and presents and gift-exchanges, and the wedding on the 27th.....we get home around one in the morning...so I will have to wait 'til tomorrow to see the kids.....

2 comments:

Mom said...

So happy for you. And so jealous! I am even jealous of our amazing attitude.

cheryl said...

I haven't gone to bed yet, thought I'd check in.. Hopefully you are home by now, safe and sound!! Jon called Becky the other day, and they talked for 48 minutes.. he called this afternoon, but she was in the middle of making cookies, so I talked to him.. he's so cute!! So grownup.. well, welcome back.. I still hate you, but I'll try to hide it.. We have 4 feet of snow piled on top of our camper.. it looks like a giant cake. All I can talk about is snow and cold.. and cookies.