summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, December 24, 2010

pictures at last!!!

The internet is going so slow, just one picture today...our tree is being buried.

We are going to Uncle Bob's house in just a few hours now, then we will come home and have our family Christmas Eve celebration, which will include our Secret Santa presents to each other, and the Dundee awards from Aaron and Mali. And some good snacks, and ice cream. (We had some with Margaret's birthday the other night, but I haven't been buying it so that it will be more special).

Holly....I just opened up my comments and read Bonnie's, and I actually read it out loud to Mirielle because it was so sweet....then I read yours. And you are right, I was totally wrong about how long people have been on the earth. It is still a very long time compared to the time that antibiotics have been in use. And I totally apologize for the "Captain Obvious" remark. There was a comic in our newspaper featuring a character by that name, so it is a title we earn around here sometimes when we are...well, when we earn it. We also live in a lot of sarcasm here, and tend not to get so offended at comments and jabs. So I do forget that everyone doesn't appreciate it. I do remember what it was in reference to, (why I seemed more affected by Ben's leaving than the kids who went to Norway for a year....and since you don't know about our church, and what the A-Team is that they go to, it wouldn't actually be quite so obvious to you, but since to us the church is such a warm and caring and good environment, and the Army is so scary, since we know what happens to Combat Medics in places like Afghanistan, it seemed like a fitting response to me at the time.) As for the facebook request: I am a total facebook failure. I have like sixty friend requests, and I haven't gone through them in a while. Most are from high school acquaintances, and since I didn't even go to the Class Reunions, and I don't care too much about being friends with people I haven't talked to since 1983, I tend to skim over the requests. I honestly did not even see yours. So it was in no way a slight to you. Oh, and the Beer Date. I was on a Mother High that day, having Ben home, and when we stopped at the store Aaron worked at for pizza dough and cheese and a 12 pack of Labattes, I invited Aaron to join us for a Beer Date later. It was sort of just letting him know we would all be home later, and that fun times would be had. He does not like beer, but if he did, I would let him have one at home with the family. We are of the mind that if something is just used in moderation at home, then there is less or no desire to go and sneak it and abuse it. Hopefully no one thought we were all getting smashed while the little children fended for themselves. I had a half of one. I do like the taste, but do not get drunk. So...I think I covered everything.....one more thing though, I don't like controversy so much, don't like to fight or argue, and I am also aware that I get things wrong, and that I am too strong in my opinions sometimes, too quick to judge, too slow to hear and too quick to speak....I am a work in progress. But I do welcome your comments, Holly. I didn't publish the first one, and another one from a while ago because I tend to shy away from controversy....

And on a lighter note, the older kids were having a discussion this morning about how they always hate it on Christmas when they open something and Mom says, "Oh, did I give that to YOU? Oops, that is for your brother..." Mali says I gave her purse to Mirielle, and I know I mixed up the jama pants something awful one year. I told them this morning, "Well, you guys, here's the thing: I am not fit to be a mother of so many children. I simply cannot manage. Yet here we are, alive and well. And hopefully flexible!"

3 comments:

Judy said...

Hi There and Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family! I have been a follower of your blog for a while now and I have to tell you that it is one of my favorites. I admire your patience and love you show your family. You handle everything with such confidence and you can tell you are so proud of each and everyone of your kids. I love babies more than anything but God blessed us with only one biological son but we have four wonderful adopted children. All grown now but we have eight grandchildren and one great grandchild. So dear lady please keep sharing your wonderful family adventures with us readers. God Bless each and everyone of you.
Judy

Martha said...

"...here we are, alive and well. And hopefully flexible!"

You are too funny. Sarcasm reigns in our house too. Not everyone is appreciative of our humor and even fewer understand it. They just think we're off our rockers.

holly said...

I wanted to laugh when I read all this just now... I didn't think you would print it all on the blog, but it's okay that you did. Misunderstandings are so common with the written word. There is no inflection, nothing...so, I am glad it was just a misunderstanding. It was just getting hard for me to think that I offended you somehow and then in return you didn't want anything to do with me. :)

I do need to clarify, just for my own nosiness though....you allow your son to drink alcohol even though it is not legal? The drinking age is 21 there as well, isn't it? I know several parents who do what you do though...they would rather them do it at home vs at a party or whatever.