summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas is coming...

the goose is getting fat, please put a penny in the old man's hat..

if you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny 'ill do,

if you haven't got a ha'penny, God bless YOU!

I do not know who wrote that, but it is obviously a British poem. I like it.

Yesterday we braved the whiteouts and snowy roads to take Aaron to the dr. His septum is cracked, but the dr. says we need to wait until all the swelling is down, then decide what to do. He likes to leave things alone when possible. He thinks it might heal okay, but if not, he can out-patient surgery and fix quite easily. I think Mr. Aaron was relieved.

Since we were in the small city, we decided to go to one store. Oh, we had fun. Shopping with Mirielle is great fun. She helps me remember things, and she usually knows if we need something or not. We got some things for the cupcakes for the wedding. Aaron and Margaret, however, are in the store for one purpose: to have fun. Aaron took a pic of Margaret in a tiny children's chair, then they found a giant chair....at least they didn't pile stuff in my cart when I wasn't looking. One time Joseph put this huge orange t-shirt in my cart, and I bought it without noticing. Just to get them back, I wore it quite frequently, and threatened to wear it when I was in public with them...but I never did.

The ride home in the dark was treacherous. I have good reason to be scared of winter driving. This was crazy, we could not see the road for the horrendous blowing snow. It was so cold out, when the snow accumulated on the road, when one braked the vehicle, the vehicle very likely did not stop, but slid. rrr. When we got home, I was "rrr"-ing about having to carry everything in in the cold blowing snow, but Mirielle remembered to thank God that we got home safely.

I cleaned Miss Charlotte Claire's room yesterday. I was in there up to my elbows, sorting things, when it was time to leave for the doctor. (Mirielle had a final at the same time, so we drove together)(it was her last final, she is done 'til January!!!) I actually went in there and finished up and vacuumed last evening. All the duplos are with the duplos, the train track together, the play dishes and food, the doll clothes and baby dolls are all together.....I told them to please please try to keep it clean! I am going to make an extra effort keep it picked up....I like their rooms to be nice and clean before Christmas so they have a place to keep their new stuff. I did throw away some broken toys....Jon didn't see me, so it was okay. We actually put a broken-y dollhouse outside, too...ouch for me. I like dollhouses.

Anyway....I keep busy. Today, I told the kids I was going to do as much cleaning as possible, so that tomorrow: the three elementary kids can stay home and make cookies with me, and wrap some presents. I figure that Saturday will be crazy, one of us will have to go to Buffalo to pick up Benjamin, and there is a Dome event fundraiser, so all other available people here 16 and up will go to that, plus someone has to watch the younger ones, as I don't want to take the Big Van all that way in the snow. And Sunday is our church Christmas Feast, which I have to bring a dessert to....so we need tomorrow off from school.

Tonight is the elementary Christmas chorus concert. Jonathan and Suzanne are in it. Suze is belly-aching, literally, about her solo. I told her to just never mind, she would be fine, the little girls want to see her sing, ect....somehow I got her out the door this morning. I did give them all ice cream money and the promise of tomorrow off, but told them not to tell their teachers. So off they went. Charlotte Claire and I are the only ones up now...

Three of the kids have dentist appointments this afternoon, and Mali has to see the oral surgeon. Mirielle so nicely volunteered to take them all, since she is one of the ones with the dental appointments. I am relieved, because it is hard to be out in the afternoon, come home and serve dinner, then be at the concert by 6 o'clock....

As far as I know, Emily made it on to her flight to India. Her first flight was so late, she missed the connection, and had to spend a night in a hotel....she said that was fine with her, she had been up for over 30 hours so she appreciated the sleep. She said normally she would have just stayed in the airport, but being a night nurse who racked up the hours before vacation left her exhausted. If she took off last night as planned, she is still in the air on her way....

My hands are cold, it is chilly in here. I know if and when I get moving, I will get warmer.

We got another 6+ inches of snow last night in addition to probably a foot that fell all day yesterday. It is insane how much snow is out there. The guy from down the road is outside with a backhoe, clearing the end of the drive way. I think he is having fun. The girls next store have a tractor with a plow, these country people, and I say that with fondness, like their tractors and backhoes. We will have to remember him with some fudge for Christmas.

I just remembered the garbage man is coming today, and the trash cans are quite buried...rats.

6 comments:

Mom said...

I wish I could take a little of that snow for you. I've been up since 2:30 am because it is too hot to sleep!

Martha said...

I find it interesting that so many folks around me a re buried in snow and we are still seeing blades of grass sticking through. Guess we are close enough to the lake that we are not getting the dumping.. at least not yet. Wait until the lake is cold and them we will be buried instead.

Christmas is coming and I will never ever be ready! I rarely am and I don't know how in the world I ever raised seven children without learning how to be ready months before Christmas. Maybe it was a lack of funds?... Ah, that is really no excuse. It is plain and simple because I am a procrastinator, and also because I forgot how difficult it would be to get out of the house and to the shopping centers with small-children-not-my-own, wintery weather, and other obstacles and obligations. Maybe this day I will finally cook up a batch of my friend Wanda's famous toffee.

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh Bonnie, I know the grass is always greener...but that sounds pretty nice right about now. We heat the house pretty minimally, and I was hunkered down under quite a few blankets last night. My fingers are cold, the little girls are under some blankets...brrr. We have to bundle up for the Christmas concert. Martha, you make me laugh! Some of us are just procrastinators, that is all there is to it. My sister is the chief of all procrastinators, though. She made her own wedding dress and finished up...the day of the wedding. She made her own prom dress, and I remember her holding up the pieces the night before, and showing a kid in the neighborhood...I wonder how in the world I manage anything I do. Going shopping with small children in the cold is a good excuse, I think.

cheryl said...

Hahah.. when I was reading Martha's comment, I thought it was me writing it!! I'm still decorating.. and then, at some point.. it's so hard to UNdecorate, I'm sure no one else is that bad!! I work better under pressure, no, wait, I only work when under pressure, or that's at least how I feel.. Anyway, Della, you have always been a better planner, which I believe you've had to be! God has given you the mind and personality you've needed, and even if you did have 4 washers and dryers, you still wouldn't put Michelle Duggar to shame. And that's a good thing.. said in my Martha Stewart voice.

Cathi said...

Oh I wish we were having your snow right now! We are having the most awfully humid horrible summer right now and those pictures of the snow are sooooo inviting to me.. I know I'd probably feel different if I was living in it, but gee, it makes me yearn for winter again :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Cheryl, if I had four washers and four dryers, I wouldn't have a trial in the world. ha.