summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, June 30, 2012

puppy love

Jonny is one happy boy!

Sonja is pretty thrilled too...

Yes, it is very soon after Rosie to get a puppy. I didn't want to do this yet...but. But. My mother-in-law offered to buy me a puppy for my birthday...I was thinking about it. Then she called this morning and said she had called about some registered lab puppies for sale,not too far from here, 8 weeks old, ready to go TODAY. Today!!? I told her I would talk to Paul. He said it was fine. I was rather surprised, but I think he is hurting too, and what helps pain go away like a little puppy?

I thought it would be good for the little kids too, to have a dog here they don't have to be afraid of. I realized that for months I had been telling them to stay away from Rosie, because I was afraid she would nip them too hard, and she was growling at them. The thing is, they loved Rosie. They just wanted to pet her and play with her.

So, here I am with a sweet little butterball of a pup, no name yet. This pup will go places with us so she can socialize and meet lots of kids.

Part of me is like, dang, I have to house-train another puppy...but I am happy too. I feel like a total betrayer, but I am happy.

I have not forgotten all about Rosie. I will never forget her. This new pup might help ease the pain, and might bring her own joy to us, but I still feel horrible about Miss Rosie The Bad Dog.


















6 comments:

cheryl said...

Well, congratulations.. I'm sure you are feeling somewhat "bittersweet" (if that isn't a feeling, it should be) with the new addition to your family.. He/she is pretty cute!!

Piper Paradise said...

So happy for you guys!!!!!

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

congrats on the new puppy. I hope that it helps ease the pain a little.

WicketsMom said...

Labs are awesome dogs, we have a six month old black lab puppy, and an adult yellow lab too. Just be patient through the first couple of months, ours is past the worst of the chewing and nipping, but labs LOVE to 'mouth' you. Even our adult does it, but they just like to hold stuff in their mouth all the time, even if it is your hand/arm!

AUTISMOMMA said...

When I was little, we had a cocker spaniel who bit me on the lip. We kept that dog and three weeks later it was hit by a semi-truck and LIVED. However, when that dog went off to live with all the dogs in the sky, we got a black lab puppy. That dog was the dumbest, most hyper, lovable dog ever. His name was Charlie and Charlie served as a pony for me when I didn't yet have one and as a security dog when needed - although, we are pretty sure he would have only knocked someone down just to lick them to death instead of hurt them. I hope your little guy turns out to be just as good a dog as was our big Charlie dog.

Cassandra said...

Aww what a cute puppy !! I'll miss hearing all about Rosie the bad dog (((gbh)))
Cassandra xx