summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

what could I say?

Benjamin is the guy kneeling. Isn't this an interesting picture? The Coke just adds that vacation-y feel...ha, in Afghanistan.

Benjamin called me today. We talked about stuff...then he told me that one of his buddies, one of the other medics from Washington State...stepped on an IED and lost both his legs. (he is a really nice guy, Ben said, he gave Benjamin rides when his car was broke down, back in Washington). Young, only 21 or so. Wah. And I couldn't say anything. Nothing sounded right. So I just let him talk. Then I told him he needed to go some place and cry, and get it out.

It is hot over there, Ben said last week it was in the 115's and 120's. He filled sandbags and had watch duties with the gunner on top of the vehicles, right in the sun. He sounds tired, but when I say something funny and hear him laugh, it makes me want to make him laugh more. I told him he would be getting some packages to share soon from some blogger friends, and he thinks that is amazing.

I am glad for this blog, because writing helps me sort out feelings, and right now I am feeling pretty sad. I am sad for this young guy, Harry, and sad for Ben. This war makes no sense to me.



5 comments:

T.L. said...

I am so sorry for that young man. I'll pray for him tonight. And your son. :( This war is so abstract.. :/ Some of my friends' husbands are sent there too.. and they worry. and it's not really on the news any more.. no one really knows or care enough. How tragic. :'(

Heather said...

I believe I was praying for that same young man. A girl who grew up with my kids, has a husband over there (they now live in Washington State) and she asked for prayer for one of his buddies in that same situation.

Praying for safety for your son.

Martha said...

War never makes sense. I'm sorry for your sad and heavy heart. Prayers to all our soldiers. I don't remember them often enough. I'm sorry.

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

That is so nice to see a photo of him. I never got those :-) My husband does his est to avoid photos.

It is so hard to hear about the injuries and loss of others. It really puts the reality of what they are doing into perspective.

Saying lots of prayers for Ben and his fellow soldiers.

jen said...

Della, please can you email me Ben's address so that I can send him some British candy? I was just visitng in NY State last week and thought of you, I met a fellow US soldier there who was telling me about his experiences. I wish I'd been nearer you guys so I could have met your beautiful family, but we were only there for 7 days and half that in CT. But you were in my thoughts, as was your Ben.