summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

just an evening rant...

First of all, the dentist appointment wasn't quite as awful as I had thought it would be. But it was NOT my idea of fun. Even though I really like my dentist. I was in that chair for 55 minutes. He tried on the temporary crown like five times, wanting to get it to fit just right. Each time, he had to yank it back off, and even though I was numb, I kept finding myself all tensed up. And all the drilling, geesh! Between all those pieces of tooth in my mouth and being tipped back so far, I kept feeling like I was gonna heave.

The permanent crown will arrive at the dentist's office in a few weeks. Dr. said if the temp fell out, I could put it back in with Fixadent. He so nicely put a pencil mark on the part that faces the back. I think. Or the front. Hopefully it won't fall out. He said No Bubble Gum or Pizza Crust or Caramels. I gave him the thumbs up and said Good. He apologized, and I said, No, Really, I don't want to eat those things anyway. He prob thought I was crazy.

Anyway. I lazed out when I got home. Washed up a few dishes, talked to Joseph who was home from class, took the pup out for a walk...had some bacon and eggs for lunch...then, I headed to bed with my book, "The Moment I First Believed", by Wally Lamb. I loved it. I cried so many times. Read it. It is like seven hundred pages long, but it is worth it.

Got out of my comfy bed feeling like a real slouch,(but it was WONDERFUL!!! I rarely lie in bed with a book on a chilly rainy-ish day, but it is my favorite thing!)...I greeted the first trip kids, switched laundry, and sneaked back into my room to exercise. My push-ups are getting better, I can almost go half-way down now.

Then, time for dinner...we had the cheat-y lasagna from last night, with a pan of meatballs in sauce, green beans, and a tossed salad.

I also made up a batch of Paleo pumpkin cookies, a variation of the muffin recipe. I found the muffins stuck to the paper too much, making me really tempted to just eat the whole wrapper, which I didn't do. So I baked these on foil sprayed with cooking spray, they came off the pan nicely. I also added a topping: a few teaspoons of butter, a bit of brown sugar, and some sliced almonds, heated in the microwave, then spooned onto each cookie top before baking. The way the butter coated the almonds made them toast up and the the brown sugar, even though it was only a small amount, carmelized on the almonds. I don't know if they are still genuine Paleo with this addition, but. Let me say this: super yum. Here's how I made them:

15 ounce can of pumpkin
6 eggs
some spices to taste (I just dumped in some pumpkin pie spice)
teaspoon of baking soda
teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup of coconut oil, although I used a mixture of melted butter and the coconut oil since the oil is so expensive.
3 tablespoons of honey (this time I used 1 and 1/2 tble honey, and 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar)


I baked them at 350 until they looked scrumptious. They tasted delectable as cookies, especially with the almond topping. I am not saying these are low calorie, but they are gluten free.

It was nice to have a few of these with my very light dinner tonight (four small meatballs with sauce and some green beans). I also baked up the last of the chocolate chip cookie dough from the other day, but wasn't even tempted to eat one since I had my own.

Now, since my kids also like pumpkin, I did make the others at the same time on purpose. I baggied (I love verbing nouns!) and froze up several for future pumpkin cravings.

Sonja just told Char that if she called her fat, she was going to get fat.

Wisdom from children, eh?

But ouch, like it is the end of the world to be fat. I try so hard to teach them that beauty is from within, but they still pick up the idea that fat=ugly. I try not to share my battles with food with them, that's why I need this blog!

And, time to get some childrens to beddy-bed-night-night-night. Stories, brushing teeth...one of my favorite things to do is tell the little girls stories when I tuck them in, and lie in the bottom bunk with Camille for a bit. I am just savoring her littleness.

I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again and enjoy them all so much more than I already did. Time goes by so fast!































2 comments:

Chet and Ashley said...

I LOVE Wally Lamb! I listened to the book you just read on tape a couple of years ago--it was, like you said, amazing! Have you read his book, "I Know This Much Is True"?

AUTISMOMMA said...

I have found that If You Care brand muffin liners work best with the paleo muffins I make. They do not stick at all. In lieu of those, you might try using parchment paper like here:
http://www.thekitchn.com/quick-tip-use-parchment-paper-95309

By the way, I love, love, LOVE that thekitchn site. They usually have all kinds of helpful tips.