summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

happy halloween!!!

When we were kids, we used pillowcases for our candy when we trick-or-treated. It was more of a marathon than an outing. We came home exhausted, but never had as much candy as our older brothers managed to get. We dumped our bags, and set up the candy. Billy liked to play war...the Snickers and MilkyWay bars were tanks, the lollipops were the guns...his army was always bigger than mine. Joey liked to trade. He was a smooth talker, and usually got too many of my candybars, leaving me with the Dots and Maryjanes and Pixiesticks. We used to dump those in water...and use the sticks as straws.

Anyway. It is chilly today, with possible light rain later, but we still have plans to trick-or-treat. I figure if we wear warm clothes and gloves, we will be okay. And if the littler ones get tired and cold, I can wait in the van with them while the older kids go for longer.

For the past few years we have gone to Chili's for dinner aferward, because they have free meals for 12 and under...but this year I just don't feel like it. The food is not that great, and the wait is long. I would rather just bring them home, make a batch of popcorn, and let them dump their candy out.

I will be needing some extra self-control, to put it mildly. A super-power that says NO to sweets. Just thinking about the orange wrappers of those Reese's...oh my.

Camille is home from school today with a cold. She was just coming down with it yesterday, coughing and sniffing. By dinner time last night, she was clearly sick. I let her sleep in this morning. She is in her ice cream cone pajamas, and she is cute. I love that she is home. I am taking her to the dollar store to look for wings for her costume, and to Wallyworld to get some flea stuff for the dog. She is very excited, she got two dollies dressed to go with us.

The problem is, someone needs to clean up this house. The floor needs to be swept, the sink is full of breakfast dishes. I need to wash my long tangly hair, and exercise. There are towels to wash, and what is for dinner? I seriously need two of me. One to do the work, and the real me, to do the fun stuff.

Suri didn't wreak any havoc last night...I sprinkled cayenne pepper around the counter instead of chili powder, it kept her away from the bread and bananas. We lock the garbage can in her cage every night because IT doesn't howl like a baby to get out like she does. She is a big brat. She loves bathroom garbage. She loves chewing up apples and the tires off toy cars. She loves Barbies. She loves sleeping on the couch...I might have to sprinkle pepper all over the furniture at night, too. She has a nice comfy bed on the floor. Right now there is a half-eaten roll of toilet paper on her comfy bed. Fun to shred, I guess.

Good thing she is cute. And sweet. And kind. She will just lie there and let the cat eat out of her bowl. She watches with her head on her paws, she does that resigned sigh...

She IS a keeper. I know she will outgrow most of her puppy behavior. And she is getting so much better about having accidents during the night. No surprises this morning.

Camille is really wanting me to get off this computer and get moving.































2 comments:

Martha said...

We used to collect treats in a pillow case too. It was almost better than Christmas!

Susan said...

LOL @ locking the trash up in the dog cage :)