summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, October 6, 2012

the best laid plans of man...

My mother used to say that quite often when things just didn't go like they were supposed to. Today, I have a mega-headache. It started out as a mild annoyance this morning, and I was able to go on my 1.2 mile walk with Suri-pup. After some puttering around, I started some breakfast. Two pounds of bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven. Some of the kids had scrambled eggs, some cereal, and there was toast being toasted. I do miss toast, as I don't eat it anymore. I had just a tiny little bit of whole oats with crunchy peanut butter, some sliced almonds, blueberries, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and some Stevia. And one egg, scrambled. And coffee. And too much bacon. It was so good though! Lots of the kids and Paul and I sat around the table for too long, just talking.

My head started hurting more and more...I should have taken some ibuprofen earlier. But I didn't. I finally just took a few, and I feel almost like I am going to get sick to my stomach.

Yesterday was a good day for exercise. After my morning walk, then working out, then walking on the nature preserve for 2-3 miles, we went to the Dome...parked in the parking garage at the bottom of The Evilest Hill..then up three flights of stairs..and walked up a Super Evil Hill...in fact, it is referred to as The Hill. Someone simply forgot to add the word, "Evil". Because it is very evil. Then, to add insult to injury,there are steps. They aren't ordinary stairs, they are higher, steeper. I counted them....like 80 something...then, into the building and up two more flights. But the good news is that my racing heart slowed down pretty quickly and I felt fine. I always wish I had stairs like that here, it is like a total work-out just from the parking garage to our concession stand! And may I mention the joy of repeating the whole schmiel on the way back to the car after standing on my feet for hours and hours?

I was a beer pourer at the Dome. From the time we opened until four hours or so later when we closed, I poured beer from tap, non-stop. Except for when I had to pour a cup of wine. Cup after cup after cup. The best part was that I made a new friend...a very nice girl who goes to college there. Very sweet and friendly. The worst part, besides when one of the kegs went dry and we got showered with beer, was the repeat customers who thought they were so funny...one of the guys was so inappropriate. According to his I.D., he was 23 years old. Same age as my son Benjamin. Seriously? He was talking like that to me? I acted all innocent, but I was steaming mad inside. Then I answered him as cold as ice, and he was all like, "What, I am just being nice, giving you compliments." Yeah, bud, you are saying one thing and meaning another, I am not stupid. rrr. Then another guy got totally ticked off because one of the beers was coming out super foamy. He really got mad about it, and I put my foot down and said, "Listen Mr., don't you dare give me a hard time about this. I just volunteer here for a church group, and I this is NOT my fault. No way." I looked right at him while I said it, and he totally backed down. He apologized, and I backed down too, and joked about the long line...then he came back later, and the my new friend looked at him and said, "You're the guy who was so mean to us before." It was SO funny. But he did feel bad about it, which he should. I mean, jeepers. He had to wait a minute for his beer. too bad!


Anyway, it was not too bad for the most part. Most of the people were friendly, and Paul and I got to leave after half-time because that's when they stop serving beer there.

It is a nice cozy day here, very chilly outside. The kids put on snowpants and coats and boots and went out to play in the leaves for a while. Then they came in and slid down the carpeted stairs with their snowpants on into a huge pile of coats they had taken off the hooks. It took them a while, but they did pick all the coats back up by themselves when they were done.

Evelyn is making brownies. I just want to go lie down and get rid of this headache, but I remember now that I promised Margaret a ride to her cousin's house. blah, I do not know if I can drive.

When I don't have a headache, please remind me that life is so good! Pound pound pound, dang.

So off I go to talk to Miss Margaret...maybe she can wait a while to go...




































2 comments:

Melanie L said...

I hope that you feel better very soon!

Anonymous said...

Hope tomorrow is better!