summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 18, 2013

thoughts of a clean house...

Maybe we have too much stuff. Maybe we have too many kids. Maybe I haven't trained them right. Maybe I am lazy, and they are too. Maybe we don't have proper places for things, or perhaps we just don't feel like putting things in their proper places. Maybe we have too many junk drawers, and too many books sitting horizontally on top of the vertical books. Maybe we need to throw out some of the VHS tapes we don't watch anymore. Maybe that plastic pumpkin shouldn't be sitting in the living room, full of the princesses' treasures. The quilts we keep on the couches are always falling off, adding to the general messy look we seem to sport here. The princesses can't look in the mirror without touching it too, and what's with the toothpaste on the counter? Seriously, it can't just be wiped up with a damp piece of toilet paper? Please, not with the hand towel. Again. And the hand towels in the kitchen are for CLEAN WET HANDS! NOT for wiping up the coffee you just slopped on the floor, although I do thank you for at least trying...and if you are the one who left a banana peel on the coffee table, thank you. I really felt like throwing that away for you. And whoever had a salad for lunch and left that container on the counter next to the sink...thank you, too. I really feel like washing out Italian dressing. I know the towel on the vacuum cleaner is drying nicely, and that we do go to the pool quite often so a princess bikini hanging on the kitchen chair isn't the end of the world.

But. Yesterday we had a bridal shower for my niece Janet. It was an awesome shower, first of all. Mirielle, Evelyn, and I bought the food. Then we took it out to the church and prepared it...marinated twenty pounds of chicken breast, then baked it, cubed it, put some in barbecue sauce and some in Frank's Hot Sauce and melted butter, then put it in the warmer. We cut up broccoli and cauliflower and green peppers and celery, and put it on platters with grape tomatoes and baby carrots, and dip. Mirielle made bruchetta with tomatoes and fresh basil and red onions and garlic. We served it with fresh baked Italian bread. For dessert we had homemade white cake, which I made after getting home from the Dome on Saturday evening. We served it with sliced strawberries, blueberries, and squirty whipped cream.

But the food wasn't the best part. The best part was that we sat in a big circle....and shared some of God's word. We encouraged Janet not to be surprised at the fiery trials that will come in life, and to draw near to God and He will be near her. We heard from her sisters, and from her friends, and we all agree that Janet has been such a blessing to us, she tells it like it is, but has no malice. Anyway, Janet's older sister Kate told a story...she was in the grocery store not long ago, and an old women of about ninety, stopped to admire Kate's little boy, who is a dollface. She then told Kate that only two things really matter in life: God, and family. So when I started my rant about the state of the house...I thought of that old woman. She isn't far off from meeting with her heavenly father so things are probably in clearer perspective for her.

My house is my day-to-day trial. One would think I could figure it out, get it organized, make it run more smoothly. And I do try. But. I lack in that area. But that has nothing to do with being pleasing to God. I can still conquer my sinful nature in the midst of it all, and be thankful!

One thing I have been thinking about is that personality has nothing to do with faithfulness. I met this nice lady at the pool, she told me that serving others makes her happy, and that it is written in the bible to serve. Well, what makes ME happy is sitting my ample butt in this chair and writing. For me, serving is mostly a sacrifice because I am one lazy girl! God made us all differently!

Life has been busy. Dome Saturday, then home to serve dinner and make the cake for yesterday. Homemade white/butter cake, yum. Then the busy day yesterday.... then Mirielle, who is on college break this week, stayed up with me last night as we watched episode after episode of, "Call The Midwife." Oh those babies, the sweet newborns! I had baby dreams last night! I did hold our friend Rachel's baby at the shower last night, too.....

Today we are going to the pool, after I do some more laundry.



10 comments:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

the issue with too much stuff is that if you assign everyone a room, and they can not figure out where it goes then you have too much stuff. If there is no place, donate. Moving helps with this, but you still have a lot of kids at home.....pick up a bunch of boxes, label donate, sell, and keep. You al could go through an entire room in an hour with all that help. Allow the kids what they want to get rid of, and allow them to toss it in the donate boxes. I think if you enlisted the help of all of the kids you could have it done in no time. We already have too much stuff in this house, I am about to do a big clean out again soon.

Mike and Katie said...

Well, it is more socially acceptable to get rid of stuff and keep the kids. ;)

I do think it's funny that you say you're lazy and proceed to list all the amazing things you do. You can't do everything. Do what you decide to do well.

Martha said...

What you need to do is tip your house upside down and give it a good shake or two. Then, when everything is out in the open and you can see it, you can get the kids to help you sort it out and put away everything you really need or want. Before you dump the house though, advertise for a huge yard sale, that way when you and the family are done dragging what you want back inside, you can quickly sell what remains outside. Have a handy-dandy, "free stuff" sign ready for when the sale is over. (If you are too far out in the country you may need several signs with arrows pointing your direction.) I do hope this helps with your thoughts. You're welcome. :)

Cheryl said...

Very good post.. And thanks so much for the shower!! You guys could start a business!
We're having a wedding in a few days, and not only is my house a mess from the busy-ness (that's my excuse this week), we now have Janet's gifts,for which we are very thankful..

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the house trials..I think for those of us who work in the home full time it is even harder because we feel that it just never ends, we never get a break, the cleaning up is endless. But with your house I'm sure it's also the sheer number of people who each leave a little bit of mess behind = a day's work for you.

"For me, serving is mostly a sacrifice because I am one lazy girl!"
did you ever think that serving may not just be about "doing" but also about "being" as in being there for the children, always ready to listen, hug & love them? You are very good at that.

Anonymous said...

"My house is my day-to-day trial. One would think I could figure it out, get it organized, make it run more smoothly. And I do try. But. I lack in that area. But that has nothing to do with being pleasing to God. I can still conquer my sinful nature in the midst of it all, and be thankful!" Exactly! ❤

Joni said...

Amen to Simone17's comment! I know people all have their opinions, priorities, etc, .... and my (humble) opinion is that there is no treasure for kids like having Mom there for them! I also strive to be organized, and fail quite well. But anyway am just loving being here with and for the kiddos - not loving every moment (who loves every moment of their 'job'?) but love that I have the privilege to be a stay-at-home mom!

baristamom said...

Have you seen the triangle, pick only 2 and the options are: 1) kids & pets, 2) clean house 3) sanity. So it's obvious that with your sanity and kids & pets you can't have a clean house. However, if you want to give up your sanity, you can have the clean house, lol. It isn't worth it. I think you are a wonderful example of a mom who is there for her kids. When all the kids are gone, your house will probably be clean :-)

Tereza said...

Yup. To all of it. Same here

WicketsMom said...

I have trouble keeping all the stuff put away, and I only have one child, a husband, and two dogs! If you figure out how to teach them that the hand towel is for hands, please let me know so I can teach my husband. He often uses ours to mop up the floor, including the nice ones we got as wedding gifts. Grrrr.