summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, May 2, 2015

spring, being busy, and enjoying life...


Yesterday afternoon, my son Samuel called...so I walked around barefoot in the yard while we talked. The grass is soft and green, and is everything I dreamed about this past winter...this past long cold torturous winter.


This is our beautiful back yard from the side. We are no landscapers, but we try to keep it mowed. :) It's a great place for kids to romp, we have woods on the side and out back to play in.

It's been hard for me to have my kids grow up. They grow and grow and grow, and now only the three youngest play on the swingset. Not too long ago, we didn't have enough swings and they had to take turns. I used to wish for a really big swingset, with like fifteen swings on it. Summertime was me in the kitchen washing up dishes, and listening to the creaking of the swings, and hearing them squabble over who gets the glider next. The door would slam, as they trooped in and out of the house, me telling them, "Either come in or stay out, what do you need now?" Always something really important, like one of my clean towels to dry off the wagon seat.

Anyway, they do grow up, and there's nothing I can do about it. Perhaps that's why we delight so in having little Davian come over. That AND, he's delightful.

Anyway. Today...soccer tournament at church for the older kids. Joseph and Kathryn are in it...and WAH, I can't go. I have to work at the baseball game. I am trying really hard to reconcile myself to it. We have this contract to work these games, and someone has to do it...even if there weren't a soccer tournament, it would be hard to leave home on a sunny Saturday, since there are so few in which Paul is home...he is leaving again tomorrow, for a week.

Anyway, I am working at the baseball game. I may as well have a good attitude about it.

This morning, I helped pack lunches, and Suzanne and Sonja and Jonathan and his friend Mekhi went out the door with Joseph and Kathryn, to watch them play. Margaret has to work at the store in town today, then she will be going out there with Evelyn. Paul will be here with the two little girls, and I'm sure they will have a really good day.

Tomorrow: birthday party! Lots of little boys are coming over to celebrate with Jonathan! I hope that chance of thunderstorms doesn't pan out, I would much rather they ran around the yard. Boys, in my opinion, are a little more stampede-y and crash-y than girls are. They are yell-y and punch-y and wrestle-y. But we probably won't have any whispering or crying or secret telling, like when lots of girls get together....

But tomorrow isn't just the party...first church...then soccer practice for the younger kids...then home for the party. Paul has to go to the airport, maybe Joseph will bring him. Busy busy busy.

Yesterday, I picked Evelyn up from school and brought her out and about. We needed more potting soil and seeds. But first, Dunkin Donuts for iced coffee. mmmm. Then to Walmart for the pizza dough I forgot the day before. We each got a tank top, we wandered through the baby stuff, now that I am going to be a Grandma again, I can do that again. We stopped at the bank, then went to Marshall's and found Sonja a few things for her birthday, which is tomorrow...she turns 13! The fifth of the five girls in a row...now Margaret's 18, Kathryn 17, Evelyn 15, Suzanne 14, and Sonja will be 13. I'm not sure if it's harder now or like ten years ago....:)

Evelyn and I had a grand old time yakking and being silly and also sneaking in some important conversation. I treasure these one-on-one times with the kids.

Then home...chicken wings into the oven. I made one pizza for the younger kids at home to start on, then prepared two more for the kids who had to leave for cleaning at church. Half the chicken wings in buffalo hot sauce, then some barbecued ones. I made a special "pizza" for me...and for anyone else who didn't want to eat that pizza dough...a one pound bag of frozen cauliflower, tossed in olive oil, browned in the oven...then I added a little bit of pizza sauce, lots of mozzarella cheese, some green peppers, and pepperoni. Baked until brown and crispy, it was really good. I felt like I had pizza, but with way less carbs.

You can make the cauliflower into a dough, but this was way easier and tasted about the same.

The princesses are awake, and I only have a little over an hour until I have to leave for baseball, so I shall go and have breakfast with them....

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

That cauliflower pizza sounds interesting. I am gluten intolerant and most GF pizza dough is disgusting. I like reading about all you do and have done with your kids. You are such a great Mom.

Marilyn rom Canada