summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, May 2, 2024

"c" is for cookie, that's good enough for me...

Sesame Street anyone?  Cookie Monster?  Once you get that song in your head, good luck.



 I don't know what gets into me sometimes, a triple batch of chocolate chippers...over eleven dozen..and I don't even eat them.  The house smelled heavenly yesterday though...

Yesterday after the pool, I puttered around, started the cookie dough, then went to Costco with Kathryn.  I got chocolate covered almonds for our weekend, and a package of burger for tonight's grilled burgers.   We got some hot dogs from the food court, and ate them there because that's big for Achilles and Rhys...they just love it.  

Home, ahh home...it was a beautiful afternoon, so after putting things away, I got into my sundress and potted the little seedlings, and some plants I had bought.  Then it was time to bake the cookies...it always takes longer than you think it will, but the recipe is in my brain, and I could do these in my sleep.  A Costco chicken was for dinner, along with rice, tortillas, chopped peppers, fresh salsa...a cheat-y simple dinner, but so good...I skip the rice, but did have a few corn tortillas.  

We're having a few of Jon's European friends stay here for the weekend, and ha, I'm not going to be here, but they are only sleeping here, they have a weekend conference they're all going to.  I have clean bedding, and have to inflate on nice air mattress, and get things a bit ready, vacuum, ect.  (This is why I baked so many cookies though!)

This fine morning, Camille and I are going to bring back the bottles and cans, ugh.  Then to the eye doctor, then to motor vehicles to register the camper, then to the store for hamburger buns and light bulbs, then home...and Grace will be here with Grant, Ruth, and baby Maeve.  Sam will come after work too, for dinner.  Maybe Kathryn and kids will come too, it's a beautiful day.  

Tomorrow morning, we're leaving for Ocean City, I am almost packed.  The weather forecast is dismal, but our place is right on the beach, so it will be cozy anyways.  And tomorrow is Sonja's birthday, we will celebrate with grocery store birthday cake...the girls are rather excited about that.  

Camille found this beautiful cup and saucer at the thrift store for $4.99.  (Look at Suri and Sunny!)


With the dregs of her tea, she loves having her tea in a fancy cup...this one seems like a good find, bone China...I found myself calling it bone-in China...ha.

Jon is home from Mexico!  It's so nice to have him back...:)

All these things that keep my so busy, and I am very thankful, but it's running through the back of my mind:  go out into the camper, putter around, get to know it, clean it (although it's very clean!), start scraping off that awful wallpaper border, scuff it up with sandpaper, prime it, and paint it white!  I am not painting the cabinets, nor making it look modern farmhouse, ha, but white paint will brighten it up considerably.  I may get ambitious and recover those dreadful seat cushions on the dinette...not the couch though, it has brown leather and looks rather nice.  

We used to have a pop-up camper years ago, Benjamin was a baby on my hip when we got it, tenting was too hard with three kids.  We fit in that tiny little Coleman until we had five kids...one night we were up in the Adirondacks, got them all tucked in, and were sitting under an awning that was like five by five, reading the newspaper by lantern light in the pouring rain, getting splashed and damp, and we decided:  we need a bigger camper.  The 35 footer we bought the next summer, when #6 Aaron was a six month old on my hip, seemed cavernous.  It slept nine!  Triple bunks in the back, queen bedroom up front with room on the floor for a baby bassinet, fold down couch, and dinette, oh dear!  The years passed and soon we didn't fit in it anymore, had to bring a tent or two along with us!  

Then...as with all good things, as the kids grew and the camping numbers dwindled and the camper became downtrodden and leaky and untowable, we started tenting...full circle...then decided after a few rainy muddy trips, that renting a cabin was the answer...that was glorious, especially when Ben and family lived on the other side of the country and made the trip to the Adirondacks every year...but the grandchildren multiplied and with more son and daughter-in-laws, there were simply too many of us to be under one roof for a week.  

I would have liked to keep going there, but who got to go and who didn't?  ouch.  

So that dwindled to a stop, and we went back to tenting.  Now we've moved on up again, ha.  We have reservations for two long weekends up on Lake Ontario, might not fit the Adirondacks in this summer, with the wedding and all, plus we're having a graduation party for Charlotte Claire...

Anyway...time to get moving, get those bottles and cans in the truck...have a good day!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Mmm...cookies!

I am surprised people find bone china in a shop like that! It is so nice.

Terri D said...

I don't know where you get the energy! I'm excited for you and your new camper!!