summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

well, happier things!

 This fine morning, I'm waiting for the pest control guy to come and leave, so I can go back out and swim. I made sure to go out before he was scheduled to come, to do my water aerobics, and sit in the sun to dry.  It was only 76 degrees, ha, but brilliantly sunny, the pool actually a bit cool.  Being able to do this every single day has been fulfilling, and appreciated.  

It's warmed up a bit now...(next week when I'm back in New York, it'll be over a hundred here again!)
So I swam, exercised, then sat in the sun for just a bit, basked....ahhh, but not for too long.  The guy is here now, so when he finished up, I'll go back out again.  

We're planning our end-of-the-year activity party for Activity Club...a pool party, with ice cream sundae bar, and pails and shovels with sunglasses and bubbles for party favors.  In this day and age, you can still plan these things when you're a few thousand miles away from home.  

Can I prattle away about the things I'm excited about?  

The camper.  I still have to pinch myself that I have one.  I know, it's an earthly thing, and we know these things rust and corrode and moths destroy, they don't last forever, and if it's where our treasure lies, we'll be bankrupt on judgement day.  I do know this.  But.  But.  It's what it signifies that makes it so special.  A cozy dry place in a possible camping rainstorm?  A game of cards at the little dinette table when the mosquitoes are out?  The coffee perking away on a misty morning?  It's tiny, it won't fit all of those who own my heart, they'll have to get their own and park them in the sites near us, ha.  But I am super excited to get it ready and to camp in it.  The improvements I want to make, not sure when I'll actually get to them...but even if it takes a while, I'm looking forward to it.  

Summer.  Oh, I love love love summer.  Barefeet in the grass, sitting on the deck, and watering the flowers, planting the garden.  The beach.  Soft ice cream.  Making iced coffee, grilling in my bathing suit.  

Yesterday afternoon, I went out and about with Aaron, he had an appointment in Scottsdale. I went along to see the landscape, and spend some time with him.  Once their mama, always their mama, and I still see him as a little boy at the parade with his red plastic case to put the candy in, all hopeful.  I see him, such a kind older brother, and I remember him gently admonishing me when I would start to get worked up about things.  He's a good and gentle man, and I love him so much.  :)

Riley made homemade lasagna, and when I say homemade, I mean the noodles too, from scratch.  The sauce, all of it.  I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing it was.  He has plans to make some homemade ice cream...

They're all working now, and it's quiet in here.  I think the pest control guy is gone, soon Evelyn will be taking a break and we'll go in the pool for a bit.  

Have a really good day!


5 comments:

Mari said...

I would be excited about the camper too.
That lasagne sounds so very good! I can't imagine doing it all from scratch!

Terri D said...

It all sounds just next to perfect!! Enjoy!!

Debbie said...

what a beautiful day to have a beautiful day. i wondered where you live?? how you were brave enough to have 16 children, i have 2. i enjoyed your words today as much as you enjoyed that lasagne. from scratch for me is if i make the sauce and it does not come from a jar!!

i would LOVE to have a camper, to travel from one end of the U.S. to the other. you should enjoy every minute and it sounds to me like you will. we will be opening our pool in a few days, i don't love the heat of summer but i do love swimming in my pool. and a barefoot walk in the grass sounds pretty near perfect to me right now!!

thanks for coming by!!

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

I’m glad you are having such a lovely little holiday 🥳🥳 A change is good for the soul I think. AND your trailer is so nice and I love the material you got to cover the seats. Very pretty. You will really enjoy it this summer and for many more to come. Where will you put it for the winter? Maybe you have a barn or something. Somewhere to keep it dry for the dry. Anyway enjoy the rest of your stay 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, I know, but he loves to cook, and we all join in the kitchen, it's just plain fun! The noodles were just so tender and yummy.
Terri, thank you!
Debbie, I know, if I put it together with canned crushed tomatoes and sauce from a jar, I still consider it homemade! We live in central NY state, north of the Finger Lakes region, south of Lake Ontario, a hop-skip-and-a-jump from the Adirondacks, on a rural-ish road, with farms and cows...we drove across the country once a few years ago, one of my daughters and I, it was amazing. I don't think I'd want to pull a camper though...but I am excited to go camping...
Marilyn, we don't have a barn to see it in. Our son does, but mice got in to his...think we'll just put a cover on it, and lots of dryer sheets for the mice...