summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, May 3, 2024

off we go!

 Where did Mary land?  What did Della wear?  Ocean City, here we come.  I've never been there, our place looks right out at the water, at least on the listings, ha.  There's a book, "Arthur's Vacation", they get to their hotel and it's in a parking lot with a teeny tiny pool...then there's a Berenstain Bears book where they go to a cabin and it's a mess and is on a mucky little pond...

Then there's the weather forecast...sunny and seventies here, fifties and cloudy there.  Tomorrow:  high in the fifties and possible rain.  harrumph!  But you KNOW we won't just sit around and mope about it.  You can still walk on the beach in the rain, and there is such a thing as cozy.  

Today is Miss Sonja Kathleen's 22nd birthday.  I am so stinking proud of Ginge, Ginger, Sonja K., we all are.  She's such a cute little nurse.  She's funny and not so easily intimidated, but also not intimidating.  The kids love her.  (She's doing a pediatric oncology rotation now, and it's sobering.)

Anyway, it's her birthday and we're going to honor her all day long.  We'll go out to dinner either tonight or tomorrow night, and celebrate.  We'll get the grocery store cake...the kids have this thing with sad birthdays.  I can't explain it.  

(Sonja, Emily, cousin Janet, me)
Camille, Sonja, Amanda, Char

Yesterday, wowza...Miss Cam and I returned the cans and bottles, can you guess how many?  1,710.  It was $86. 50...that's a lot of cans and bottles...then we went in for our eye appointments, and everything was done on several machines then a virtual visit with two providers, the one who asks the questions is the first one clearer, or the second..?, then the optometrist.  It took forever and a day, then we had to pick out glasses.  I'm usually a grab the first pair, to save myself the agony of a decision, but Camille...oh she struggled.  She kept going back to one pair, which is the exact pair that Evelyn just got, then one of the ladies who worked there helped her, and she made a decision.  She's so cute, everything looked nice on her, in my humble opinion.  

We were supposed to go to motor vehicles, but there simply wasn't time.  We stopped at Aldi for hamburger buns and some berries, quickest Aldi trip ever...then Starbucks for buy one get one frees, then home...Grace was there with Grant, Ruth, and Maeve, Kathryn was there with Achilles, Rhys, and Jamison.  The weather was absolutely brilliantly gorgeous, the blue umbrella sky, and so nice and warm.  The kids were playing out in the yard and on the deck, and it was lovely.  Jonathan came home from work, Sam came for dinner after work,  then three of his European friends who just got into town came for dinner.  I grilled burgers, hot dogs, coneys, and put out chips, strawberries, and raspberries...I cut up some tomatoes and red onions, and got out the pickles, ect.  Not tons of work, but busy.  I was glad I made all those cookies for dessert!

Grant!  He's all snuggly on the dog bed, and he covered up Sunny...
My sister Cheryl, and her husband Bill, in Australia!  They've had a good visit, and are heading home now, three weeks has gone by fast, but I have missed her.  If you are inclined to pray, please think of her on the trip home, that she is as blessed as she was on the way there.  It's a rough trip for anyone, but when you have just a wee bit of cancer here and there throughout your body, well, the chemo makes you very tired. God is good and merciful though, and her faith in Him is absolutely encouraging.  

We're leaving here in half an hour.  I have to remember my jacket and phone charger, I've walked out without both those things before.  I ground up a whole bag of coffee beans, and packed the pour over and some filters, and plan to grab a small cooler and bring the heavy cream.  I have microwave popcorn, Norwegian chocolate, and some cookies packed.  I brought some peanuts for me, and an Atkins bar, ha.  

Anyway, I'm super excited to be going away with my girls...this date seemed like so far away when Emily invited me, but zoom!  time flew, and here we are!  Have a good weekend, everyone...

3 comments:

Diane said...

Della- I'm a follower from central Maryland.
Your group should take a ride down to Assateague Island where the wild ponies room, about 15 min from Ocean City. There's a state park and a national park I think that the state park doesn't charge daily use fee until Memorial Day weekend. But as your headed to the island their is a visitors center with lots of info on the wild horses and than you drive over the bridge and there will probably be horses along the road as you go in. It's a definite great place to check out especially if it's your first time to the area. Yes there is camping too...if you ever want to camp you must reserve online when it opens in January. Have a great weekend/trip!!!

Terri D said...

Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful weekend, I know you will, no matter what the weather is!! It sounds super fun with your girls!!
I’m so thankful for the prayers! The trip home went very well and we are tired and happy! A great combination! Such an amazing adventure I never thought I’d take!!! But seriously, without God’s blessings, I couldn’t imagine it!
Hope you get some delicious sunshine, and bring it back here!!
Love, Cheryl