summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 6, 2015

not a normal family....


Paul was helping Kathryn make a bracelet. Paul is always doing something. He is all about health and fitness, all about paleo eating, and sitting instead of standing. He has actually been home for the last few weeks, so we're getting to know him again:)

Yesterday....the kids are growing up now, and didn't wake at dawn wanting their baskets. In fact, they didn't get into them until the afternoon. Jonathan spent the weekend at Emily and Abigail's house, taking care of Ab because she has had the flu, and still wasn't feeling well. Mirielle texted me and reminded me I had to pick her up at Aaron's apartment in the city, along with Margaret and Evelyn...they were returning from their trip to visit Samuel, in Washington D.C. So I left the dinner table reluctantly...dinner was over, but the fun wasn't. We had ham, apples (I peeled and sliced a dozen apples, then added them to some jarred natural applesauce (no sugar), then added some cinnamon, and just a few teaspoons of sugar, baked it in the oven while the ham heated, yum!), broccoli, mashed potatoes, and crescent rolls.

Sonja went with me, for a ride to the big city. I didn't mind, once I extracted myself from the table, after giving helpful hints about cleaning up. Hearing about their weekend, and how Sam was doing, and how the hotel gave them a room with only a king sized bed and a sofa sleeper, instead of two doubles and a sofa sleeper.

Mali came over for a bit, and had some dinner. She liked the carrot cake. We all liked the carrot cake. I am letting the girls have some for breakfast. The two little girls are the only ones up, besides the dogs..and me. We are watching Sesame Street, since it is technically vacation, for the Real School kids.

The older kids are sleeping in, they stayed up and watched a scary movie last night.

My kids are growing up. I texted Ben and Sam yesterday. Emily was working. Things have changed. I miss the days when they were all truly under one roof, but I'm glad the older ones still come over and visit.

So, since the kids who go to Real School are on vacation (Evelyn and Sonja), we might have to Go Someplace today. That's the word on the street, they want to Go Someplace. It's chilly out, and muddy, so playgrounds...nah. We could bundle up and go exploring somewhere, but with all my teenage girls...I am thinking maybe...mall. blah. If they were all little again, it would be the zoo or the children's museum. The children's museum is out, they amended their family membership policy, making it large family expensive.

It seems like small potatoes, now, to Go Someplace with only 7 or 8 kids. Small potatoes, the kind Camille likes to peel when she helps me with dinner. She is like the last one left to be enthusiastic about helping me with things like that. Char likes to crack eggs still though.

One thing I like on vacation days is when they each wake up and come into the kitchen or living room...and we aren't in a hurry, and I can just enjoy them. Sonja is up now, on the couch with a blanket. Joseph just made a pot of coffee, which isn't going to go very far, with Margaret and Evelyn home now. Kathryn and Suzanne are tea drinkers.

Sesame Street is quite entertaining, I am watching it while I type, how distracting! Kids from all over the world jumping!

So this weekend, Yay! I am going to visit Sam again!!!! I am so very proud of Sam. Aside from seeing him, I LOVE those roadtrips. It's only seven-ish hours to Washington D.C., but it is so interesting! We are staying in Manassas, Virginia, because it is much cheaper than in D.C., and Sam doesn't mind getting out of the city. Mirielle just went this weekend to visit him, but is considering going again, with us, taking the little girls, for the fun of it. I hope she does. Mirielle makes everything fun.

Each my kids has their own unique and lovable qualities. Yesterday, I complimented Kathryn about her hair, asked what she did to it because it looks just so pretty. No lie, three other daughters asked, What About My Hair, Mom? They were partly kidding, but seriously.

If I gave my kids each a solid hour of attention each day, I would still have still have 8 hours left to sleep.

Last night I had a dream that I had a baby that I kept forgetting about. I held this tiny baby, and panicked, because I didn't remember feeding her at all! But she was perfect and thriving and I loved her, and when I woke up, I wished it was true.

It's probably because Mali was here, and her belly is growing, and her baby is kicking.

Here I sit...I had put a load of towels in the wash, and was sweeping the floor, when Camille asked if she could sit with me...we cuddled for a bit, then she bounded away, and I picked up my computer...and here I sit.

Soon more teenagers will be arriving in the living room, asking Where Are We Going...

April Break. ha. It should be warm and springy.

Now Elmo is doing gynastics with the sweetest little girl named, "Arden", how cute! And Abby Cadabby. I forgot how much Cam liked her...

Distraction is my middle name.

When you think about it, I am interrupted ten times more than the average mother. I just made that statistic up, but I can't seem to think a thought without someone asking an important question like, "Mom, where's the tape?", or "Why don't we have any more tortilla wraps?", or "How come you bought Cinnamon Life instead of regular?" Or to just tell me about a dream, or what her sister just did to her, or to remind me that sneakers/shoes/boots are too small, or that they need a ride to something or other later. They are growing up, but life is still full and busy.

So going away for the weekend is blissful. Not because I want to get away from any specific children, just the collective busyness that comes with the whole lot of them. And the housework! I love waking up in a hotel room and thinking that I don't have to sweep this morning. The thing is, the whole time I am gone, I am thinking about the ones at home, and now days, texting them or talking to them on the phone. :) And I am always glad to be back home.

This weekend, Paul is leaving too, on Saturday morning, to go to France. Joseph will be the chief babysitter. We are leaving early Friday....I am so excited.

Anyway. I better get some work done around here before they all get up and start plotting what we are going to do today....

1 comment:

Martha said...

I like this post even if I have been distracted several times while reading and still haven't made it all the way through and I think you are a very normal family, just a tad larger than most even mine which is plenty large and crazy and "not quite so normal to many folks. I used to have baby dreams too but I haven't had one in a while. Now it's bedtime.