summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 26, 2017

oh joy, and california sunshine and wow, we made it!


Sonja K. and I, we are good travel buddies. She's a good sport, and I don't like to stress out about anything beyond my control, so we make the most of things, together, and have a really good time. Our first flight was delayed, so Aaron texted me and mentioned that it makes it stressful because we have to be concerned with making the connecting flight, and if we didn't, try to fly into Oakland instead of San Jose, ect. Well. I told him we actually we're even concerned about it, until he mentioned it, ha.

We didn't have much time, and when our delayed flight landed, the pilot announced that anyone with a connection should exit the plane first, but ha, you know how THAT went. Most people on planes want to exit the plane, and so they get off, row by row, having to retrieve their luggage from the overhead bins, taking forever and a day, and I had to pee, thanks to the large iced coffee I had enjoyed in the airport.

We didn't have time to spare, so we couldn't go looking for something to eat...so we went to a small kiosk where Sonja picked out a sandwich. Imagine my thrill and delight when it rang up for $11.99. I also chose something to eat, a pretzel with cheddar cheese baked on it. Nutritionally devoid, but um, can you say, mmm mmm good? I usually don't even like cheese, but this pretzel looked good. Was it worth $3.75 plus tax? Probably.

On this cross country flight from New York City, 5 hours and 45 minutes long, we were in the middle and window seat, with a strange man in the aisle seat. He was just strange. He ate a banana, and he listened to music so loud it escaped his earbuds. He only got up a few times, and I used the opportunity to get up then too. If I were on the aisle, I would totally be one of those annoying aisle walkers, at least getting up every hour. On jetBlue, they serve the snacks one time, then tell you they are free, and you can help yourself. Well. Duh. Free snacks? I haunt that place. I am not eating tons of snacks at this time of my life, but I AM partial to PopChips, and no, I don't get paid for saying so. And lots of little bottles of water are good so we don't get headaches.

Anyway. We made it across the country, me binge watching HDTV, I want to go home and start all over again. At the very least, I have been inspired to actually do something about my old oak kitchen cabinets, ha. The "after" houses are always clean and spotless, so maybe I could at least start there...

When the plane landed, earlier than expected, there was an issue with being in the way of another plane, so we had to have a "tug" hitched to us, and drag us backwards. I don't know why, no one understood what was going on, so the flight attendant cleared it all up for us by saying, "What this means is that you all stay in your seats with your seatbelts fastened." Um, that's what it means? Anyway, it took sooooo long, and I had to of course pee again, and I wanted to stand up, and the t.v.s weren't working any more so I couldn't covet any more renovations, and Sonja had a headache, but she still laughed with me at the girl talking really loudly on her phone. It WAS funny, this girl, or woman, she was probably thirty, was yakking about sitting there on the effing plane, as if there weren't children there who could hear her swearing, then saying, and I kid you not, "Well, it's Trump's America, what do you expect?". As if. I mean, blame him for what you will, but for the plane sitting on the runway? Then she was complaining about it all, and I said way too loudly, "Oh wah." Several people turned around and I tried my best blank face, but Sonja and I started laughing, and darn it if I almost started an airplane rumble. oops.

Ah well. We had some nice sleep, and it's sunny out there. The good thing about traveling west is that you get three extra hours of sleep in the morning without being thought of as a lazy guest. I mean, seven a.m. feels like sleeping until ten at home! And that feels great, even if I went to bed well after midnight.

The internet here is fast and furious, and yes, I brought my laptop, so I'll be writing as we adventure...today, I think I am being introduced to the world's best donuts...I'll try to take pics.:)

4 comments:

Marilyn from Canada said...

Della....you are hilarious 😂😂 sounds like you are having lots of fun despite some mishaps along the way 😂😂😂 Enjoy!!

Marilyn from Canada

kristine barr said...

Hey Della! Does one of your kids work in Walnut creek or Concord? I worked at John Muir Med Ctr for about 30 years, both in Walnut creek ad concord.

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, thank you, we are having a really nice time. Kristine, my son Aaron lives in Walnut Creek, but works at Stanford University Hospital. :) It is a small world, isn't it? We can't believe the warm temperatures here! It was 106 today!

Joybells said...

I'm so laughing about the airplane near-rumble!! Complaining doesn't help anything, except for making everyone around you miserable too. LOL and I wish I had been there to see it!

Joy from Salem