summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, August 7, 2017

to everything there is a season...

A time for every purpose under heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die...(Ecclesiastes 3)



Duke is heading to the rainbow bridge...to the bunny fields, heaven for doggies...where he can run all he wants, where his hind legs will no longer be wasted away, where his arthritic front legs won't collapse from under him.

He can't hear us ask him who's a good dog.

He has gotten more lame lately, has fallen a few times on the deck steps.

He is going on a one way trip to the vet on Thursday. Sam says we are going to look at chocolate lab puppies on Friday. He already announced it to the kids. But they don't remember that we got Miss Sunny to make up for the loss of Duke...last summer! Duke has had many calls from the governor, we just keep putting it off. But then we all realize this: it isn't about us. The poor boy is struggling too much, and the righteous thing, the humane thing, the loving thing...is to say goodbye. So this morning I finally made that phone call...and he is going bye-bye on Thursday.

I think we'll plan a fun last day for him.

Other happenings...a few of the girls are going on a trip to Washington D.C. this weekend.

We just got back from an amazing week spent in our camper at our church Fellowship Week.

Sebastian and Linnea, my niece's twins, are here while their brother hopefully gets the cast removed from his broken arm (trampoline).

I promised Camille a trip to the library, but shh, she may forget and continue to read, "Little House On The Prairie". She reads for at least an hour a night, in bed.

Suzanne brought home a kitten a few weeks ago, an orange and white little devil who thinks he is one of the dogs. He is sweet and purry and rambunctious and likes to walk across the kitchen table, sampling things.

Here is a pic Suzanne took of me holding my niece Katie's little girl, Anne Beatrice...(Davian's little sister)

(I had rocked her to sleep...)

It's fantastic to have Ben and Ashley and Anya nearby. I have to get used to that little voice saying, "Grandma, Grandma...!" It's music, it truly is.

Lydia was at our camper for one of the days...she's darling.

Camille helped me make French toast and sausage this morning.

Our swimming pool is a goner this year...from crystal clear to murky green...Paul is ordering a new motor for the filter...but all these sunny warm days, and dang it, no pool.

The kids are playing Mario Kart.

We had fresh sweet corn for dinner last night...I love summer. Our own garden hasn't yielded much, but I bought green peppers, cucumbers, peaches, and a huge tomato from a farm stand yesterday...and the corn.

Anyway...the summer days are lovely...even though my heart is sad about Duke...

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Awww. Duke. It's so hard even though it's the right thing to do.

Marilyn from Canada said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww.......😢😢 I'm so sorry about Duke, but the the time has come. Like you said it's not about us. It is really the last kind thing we can do for our pets. And it is very peaceful. I always cuddle my dogs when it's all happening so the last thing they see is me talking to them and cuddling................on a happier note I'm glad you had a good time camping and too bad about the pool. We have a wet day here again!! 😬😬 It's been a wet summer here and the flowers are water logged 😬😬😬 My daughter, husband and daughter and 2 friends are on an African safari!!!! They just saw a huge herd of elephants come to the watering hole beside their camp!!!!! 🐘🐘🐘 Wow!!!! This is just their first day. You have a good day!!

Marilyn from Canada

Stacet Claire said...

Poor Duke...I knew his time was almost up...I am sure that the kids will miss him...On a plus note you wont have to get up early to take him out when he starts barking....The only thing that I don't like about dogs is that they don't stay with us much longer ....They really are such blessings

Unknown said...

That's so sad about duke :-(

Joybells said...

I'm so sorry about Duke. I have a dog too...and other dogs before this one. I still miss them, and remember.

I have a little sign at home that says, "Without a dog, a home is just a house." Gotta love those creatures, in spite of the mud and the shedding and slobbering and stolen hot dogs! And that means it's never easy to say goodbye. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday. 💕


Joy from Salem

Marilyn from Canada said...

Joybelllls........I have that same sign!! I agree I wouldn't change my house with hair and wet muddy feet, dog slobber etc for all the pristine (boring) houses in the world. I have a friend who claims she loves dogs, but they are too messy 😳 We are all different. Della I will be thinking of you all tomorrow 😢

Marilyn from Canada