summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

nap time....

 ...I don't want to brag, but I don't take naps.  Watch, next thing you know, I'll be the napping queen, because if you say you'll never do something, well...I'm not superstitious, just a little stituous, ha.  

But this fine snowy afternoon, wow, I could almost doze.  I didn't have a hollowed-out night, I had an I can't fall asleep for the LIFE of me night.  Then, awake before dawn!  This is vacation week, I don't have to get up to see  Miss Charlotte Claire off on the bus.   I did get up and go to the pool though. 

After the pool, shh, I came home and my butt was drawn to my chair like a magnet and steel.  Then I meandered out to the kitchen, and made a lasagna for dinner.   It's all ready to bake, sitting there under foil in the refrigerator, wow, I love having dinner made ahead of time.  I heated up some frozen barbecued meatballs for the girls, washed up some dishes, vacuumed, did a load of laundry, then mopped the floors.  Now, magnet and steel, again.  

It is snowing out here today, giving the house the Christmas-y glow, that winter brightness, and it's so cozy.  Winter is looooooooong, here in New York state, but oh, I do enjoy the indoor days of cozy.  Afternoon coffee, the fake fireplace, the pups snoring, nice.

I had gray checked valances in the kitchen, but wanted a change. These sheers were like seven dollars from Target.  Charlotte Claire is handy with the drill, she put them up for me the other day, as they called for new black curtain rods.



I like them.  They'll be perfect for framing the summer sunshine.  

Camille is working on editing her book, Charlotte is doing homework, and Sonja is doing work, and starting on her resume, as graduation is coming up soon.  Paul is working, and here I sit. I have things to paint, and to sort and clothes to take out of the dryer.  But honestly, it hasn't gotten old yet, the being able to choose what to do next, as opposed to always having to be busy.  

One of the ladies from the pool asked me how many kids I still have at home.  Only three.   Only three?  How many do you have?     Now, this is the question that turns me from a regular lady to an anomaly, makes me grow horns.  She said she has so many questions, so I told her, "We never had color coded cups or towels, didn't raise the kids like it was an institution, they are all spoiled, and we always ate together at the table."   

One of them said, "You look so young, you think you'd be old and run down."  hmmm. I FEEL old and run down, ha.  But my life has been so lively and fun and fulfilling and rich and blessed, why would that run me down?  Yes, there were tired years, busy years, but oh dear, so completely rewarding! 

Yesterday, Kathryn needed a few things from the store, so yes, I would go along and help her with the kids, gladly!  Char and Cam came along too.  Today is Mariel's birthday, so I had to get some gifts.  (Can you believe my #4 "child"is 32?!).   

Rhys can chitter-chatter you right into letting her try on the hats.  She likes hats.  I asked her if she wanted to buy it, she nodded yes. 

We went into Aldi for a few groceries, then to the thrift store.  I found a brand new Eastpack backpack, bought it for Lydia.  Camille found really nice jeans, and Char got a study review book for one of her college classes, 74 cents.  

The kids were pretty done, three places was one too many, but we let Rhys walk in the thrift store. She is so funny and cute.  She's going to be a big sister in a few weeks, can you believe it?



 

4 comments:

Carol said...

I am sure there were times that life was very chaotic, but there are times like that with one child just as with more than one. You should be extremely happy that your family is the size it is and that your children are all well rounded adults.

Mario said...

Hi πŸ‘‹ I’ll try this again πŸ™„ Honestly mist of the time I’m not sure what I’m doing on this phone, but I will be 80 this year so we can’t expect miracles πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ₯³

Good for you going off to the pool! You should be very proud of yourself Della. I go to tai chi on Monday evenings and practice at home. It’s like doing yoga…..a lifetime of learning, but I love it.

It’s cold here I can tell you. This morning when I got up at 7.30 our outdoor thermometer said -29C 😳 I’m NOT a fan of winter, but on Friday it’s supposed to be -2C……. Go figure.

That little Rhys is a Dolly for sure……

Have a lovely what’s left if the day.

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Mari said...

I'd say you did enough today to sit and rest! I love having supper ready ahead of time too.
Here in Mich we are in the middle of an ice storm. Everything is cancelled!

16 blessings'mom said...

Carol, you are very right. :)
Marilyn, you are doing fine, I hate figuring out new devices. Good for you on the Tai Chi!!!! That's amazing. Brrrrrr. You live in the true land of Frozen!!
Mari, we got ice too, it's pretty and sparkly, and landed on four inches of fresh snow...